Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should we scrap the old Detroit Bantam 220 EXCAVATOR

fixou812 ยท 2014-01-06 11:44

I have a customer with one seems it needs a rotary manifold. The engine runs the machine has been sitting for long time. Th manifold is a Job to remove and haven't located the seals and brass?... Also I don't know if the manifold would need any other parts. It entered my mind what else this machine would be good for? If you bypass the manifold with a few hoses you would still be able to swing the bucket 15 degrees to the left or right. It's a Large beast and expensive to transport. Should we scrap it.... your thoughts. ?

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2014-01-06 12:29

    Surely, if it's in fine shape other than the rotary manifold, one could adapt the swivel joint from another, more common, machine.

  2. #2fixou8122014-01-07 09:19

    I believe this machine is about a 1970 model It enough labor to remove and replace the standard rotary... it holds about two 55 gallon drums of hydraulic oil. $ It's empty now. it needs other misc repair. Its been sitting for twenty years. Then how long before something else needs repair. Parts would be hard to get. Its big and expensive to transport. Not a good resale value but maybe good for a junk yard. I've heard these are not the smoothest machines. But powerful. Seems there's alot of life in it would. Be a shame to. Scrap it.

  3. #3clintm2014-01-07 21:33

    sitting 20 years !!! scrap it every hose and o-ring will be dry rotten and have to be replaced and sounds like it wasn't that good of a machine when it was running any way:my2c

  4. #4fixou8122014-01-07 21:51

    I saw an excavator carrier on this site 're fitted to be a self propelled conveyor. Guess the round house could free wheel for that. I don't know how valuable that would be but I know its important that they swivel.

  5. #5bunkclimber2014-01-09 11:25

    with labor rates at 100+/hr plus parts,these old machines become scrap just by weight alone.Most yards will give you 150/ton,run the machine as long as they can to get some work out of it,then cut it up at a profit.The Detroit is worth maybe $1K to the right person,and thats after you pull it out and wait to find a buyer.Put it on MachTrader as a parts machine at a bargain,maybe you'll get a hit.