Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shoulder pain

Rob Toro · 2021-10-23 08:21

I’m here today for serious shoulder pain. I was wondering if anyone has same problem. I’ve been operating an excavator for 25 years on the same machines. I’ve been off work for 6 months and just working after a couple days shoulder pain started. It gets so bad I have to stop operating and stretch my shoulder by grabbing my elbow with my other hand and pull it in front of my chest, it’s a sigh of relief for a short time, but back to square one soon as I operate again. I started getting shoulder pains at 32 y/o now I’m 50. I think it was getting better after I stopped weight lifting last year but back again to haunt me soon as I started operating.

Replies10
  1. #156wrench2021-10-23 09:13

    Could be arthritis. Just got a cortisone injection in mine the other day and its working. Dr. says it should last 4-5 months and then may need another injection. I don't know how it will be in the long term though

  2. #2John C.2021-10-23 11:36

    I'm a mechanic and not an operator but have been fighting the shoulder pain since I was in my forties. Here's the Reader's Digest history of the ordeal. There are problems in both shoulders and went to multiple doctors about the issues. All said physical therapy was the way to go and that didn't change a thing. Then my left hand started to tingle on the finger tips all the time. Shoulder guy sent me to a hand guy who said carpal tunnel likely the problem. Wanted to stick a needle into my hand and up into my wrist pumping cortisone. I said no and he said go back to physical therapy. About a week later I was shaving and tipped my head back, lost all feeling in my left hand and the pain was excruciating. Went back to the hand guy who sent me to the MRI for my neck. I knew something was wrong when the receptionist came into the room after they were done and told me I had an appointment to see another doctor in an hour. Disc between C5 and C6 had collapsed and pinched the nerve so hard it was damaging it. Went to spine surgeon who said it was too bad for physical therapy or anything else. Fused C5 to C6 and been pretty well pain free since. The left hand tingles all the time but it is usable and reminds me of the ordeal every minute of every day. The lesson from my experience is that pain can be caused by something away from the area where you feel it. Second lesson is that medical doctors are no better at troubleshooting pain problems than mechanics are at troubleshooting emissions problems. Third lesson is that specialists generally only see problems in relation to their specialties. Final lesson was that pain means something is wrong and needs to be addressed. The neck and shoulder issues started years earlier while driving dump trucks and I never did anything about it as the pain quit when I stopped driving trucks. Maybe I should have looked into the issue years earlier. Good luck to you in your future ordeal.

  3. #3Rob Toro2021-10-23 14:06

    That’s good info, I will keep in mind. Thanks for quick reply! I’ve seen a specialist 13 years ago and confirmed it was a little arthritis and also impingement problem and said try not to do anything overhead and keep hands low to shoulder hight. Maybe I should try changing position of seat and sit up straight instead of slouching.

  4. #4Tones2021-10-23 16:13

    Quite a few years ago is was suffering very similar shoulder pain on the L/H side. A doc reckoned it was the bursar and put me on anti inflammatory pills which didn't work so good then sent me to physiotherapy and that didn't work. Eventually it came good on it's own just doing every day tasks . About 5 years ago I was in a machine roll-over and crashed into the cab injuring the other side. All the same things lack of movement and pain. Doc says physiotherapy, I says yeah nah, osteopath this time. Well heck did that straighten me out. 4 visits is all it took, shoulder is good, back is good and for the first time in years I could put my chin on my left shoulder.

  5. #5Welder Dave2021-10-23 16:43

    Make sure to get a more complex blood test to rule out things like cancer. I started to get aching in my left shoulder blade, then it went down to my elbow, then to my right shoulder blade and then progressed down to my lower back. Went for X-rays, CT scans and bone scans and nothing showed up but I was in the most excruciating pain you could image. Finally my family Dr. sent me to the university hospital ER because my blood work was all over the place. The Dr. at the hospital did a more extensive blood test and said my calcium levels were off the chart. That's when he diagnosed me with Multiple Myeloma. It's a type of bone marrow cancer and because it won't show up on CT scans or bone scans, because it's inside the bones, the ER Dr's. I had seen previously seen figured it was muscle related. It can attack anywhere in your body but attacked my back and caused compression fractures in 10 of my vertebrae. Good news is that it is a highly treatable type of cancer. Not saying you have this but worth getting the tests to rule it out. Several month's previous to this I had shingles around my eye and the Dr. said it could have been the 1st sign I had cancer in my body. I'm doing much better now and going in for a stem cell/bone marrow transplant on Monday.

  6. #6Rob Toro2021-10-23 20:39

    Thanks for sharing your history, you had multiple issues. I have both shoulders in pain as well.it actually got better over time.. I’m right handed and I’ve been using my left hand for 8 years now. I think are body needs balance. Even if I feel awkward and uncomfortable using left hand it’s good for your body. I also ignored the pain in my younger years ,thought it was nothing serious. We need to listen to are body health is more important than anything. Good luck to you too, cheers!

  7. #7Rob Toro2021-10-24 02:51

    you’ve been through a lot Brother,. I can’t complain much, I used to have excruciating pain in my younger years. Some days I couldn’t sleep. I think it could have been my work outs at the gym. Was not a Balanced work out. Neglecting my other muscles. Much better now. I like using an electric pad or blanket for my shoulders. Feels good after a cold day. With the blood tests you recommended, I did plenty too. I had esophageal cancer 6 years ago and clear ever since. Had surgery, and then radiation, chemo together for one month. Now life has a different meaning to me. I do more things now that I would of never done before my surgery. I enjoy life for life itself. Nothing else is more important. thanks for your sharing your experience Brother. Good to hear your doing much better now Dave and good luck to your future

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-10-24 11:41

    Money and material things don't mean all that much after you get a cancer (or other serious illness) diagnosis. I'm doing pretty good, just hope the stem cell transplant doesn't really bring me down where I'm not able to do very much. A lot will depend on the weather but would be nice to get the Cat all put back together including getting the belly pan on and get the wheel adapters on the grader with the new rims and tires. Just heading out to put a new battery cable on the skid steer and some other rather simple repairs. Going to bed early tonight because I have to be at the cancer institute before 8am tomorrow morning. My back has been aching pretty good but I'll have lots of rest in the coming days.

  9. #9Rob Toro2021-10-24 13:48

    You workaholic, it’s Sunday relax a little. A least your keeping busy that’s good for keeping mind from wondering. You have a good rest for tomorrow bud. Cheers!

  10. #10Steve Favia2021-10-24 15:59

    Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow!