Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Show Off Your Boom Doin’ Work

redneckchevy9 · 2013-12-11 15:33

Pretty slow day here @ the yard, so I thought I would see if anyone else has a few pictures of their boom truck workin'

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies28
  1. #1BobCatBob2013-12-11 23:12

    Not a boom truck, but "working" for an old cherry picker

  2. #2redneckchevy92013-12-12 16:06

    I just happen to stumble upon some of your restoration pictures yesterday. Looks like it is going good. Hopefully there are still some leaves on your money tree.

  3. #3BobCatBob2013-12-12 21:28

    If I had to pay some one to do all the work, I'd be better off buying a "ready to go" machine. It really is a joy doing the refurbish.....and learning along the way. I'm your typical hobbyist who can't sit still and needs something productive to do. I watch very little TV (except Gold Rush on Friday nights) and take great pleasure in bringing life back into what others see as scrap.

  4. #4glenlunberg2013-12-12 22:46

    Nice picture redneckchevy9. Looks like you've done a good work on those pictures.

  5. #5redneckchevy92013-12-13 10:48

    I admire that! You will sit back with a beer in your hand when its all done & say, "yep, I did that" with a grin from ear to ear. Not having a deadline or having to work on it probably makes a huge difference on how enjoyable a project can be. I can't sit still myself, but usually it's because I am chasing my kids around.

  6. #6redneckchevy92013-12-13 10:51

    Thanks glenlunberg! I do what I can. Hauled just about everything you could think of & a few things I would've never thought I would ever haul. it's fun & I enjoy running it.

  7. #7cecil892013-12-13 21:20

    Siding a ball mill at coal fired power plant in 2010 Manitex sx series I believe. Had the weird outrigger configuration. Cant bitch it had a cab I think it had about 110 ft. without the jib

  8. #8Tiny2013-12-14 02:23

    Last boom truck job I was on was setting an M250 together , Luffer winch and butt pins

  9. #9redneckchevy92013-12-17 17:26

    Just a simple job this afternoon

  10. #10redneckchevy92013-12-17 17:28

    THATS A LONG WAY IN THE AIR TO BE PUTTING UP STEEL! I hope it wasn't windy. What was weird about the outriggers?

  11. #11redneckchevy92013-12-17 17:31

    Looks like a pretty nice neighborhood! What would that crane be used to set? Also, where does the truck come into play in this equation? Besides obviously hauling the equip, did it just happened to be parked there?

  12. #12Tiny2013-12-17 17:50

    Drug a loaded trailer up to the job , dropped it out of the way to set the parts on . Most times the boom for the crawler cranes is set together with that truck

  13. #13redneckchevy92013-12-19 16:30

    Thought this would make a cool picture - driving skinny little road to get to the backwaters of the Mississippi

  14. #14cecil892013-12-24 04:53

    The sx series had an X pattern for the outriggers. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7I2mQr0ww And a company pdf file http://www.wppecrane.com/assets/15/7/Manitex_Truck_Boom_Cranes_SX_Product_Guide1.pdf to clarify one thing the picture was taken in 2010. Oh and there were days that I wound up going home early because of the wind. Just to Kick a boss in the nads I was once told "It does not take any skill to pull on a rope." Sorry but this is a false statement.

  15. #15Tiny2013-12-24 21:44

    Random Pics of My boom truckin

  16. #16od12014-01-28 23:42

    Hey Boom Truck people, I posted this in the JLG 40F Dilemma forum, but maybe this forum would be better. I own a JLG 40F boom lift, and I’m in the process of restoring it. The platform was shot and I found a great looking platform from a surplus dealer. It ends up it’s a platform for a Boom Truck. I planed to remove the support arm, control panel and hydraulics from it and fit a support on its bottom to receive the connect from the 40F. Then I thought maybe I should check in to see if anyone needs it before I start cutting it. I’m not sure of the model. It has a leveling cylinder on it and it’s own hydraulic source. The control panel is in excellent condition and is made by JLG. Check out the pictures. If you know what this will fit on let me know. Thanks to all!

  17. #17kat092014-01-29 14:14

    21000 pics Pictures of the 21000 I was on last year.

  18. #18classictruckman2014-01-30 21:06

    nice looking basket, already have 2 though.

  19. #19mowingman2014-01-30 21:57

    I just bought this one. I plan to use it for cleanup/hauloffs at residential and commercial construction sites. It has an IMT boom on it.Truck is a 96 Kodiak, with Hendrickson tandem suspension.

  20. #20od12014-01-30 22:14

    Do you have any idea what model this is? It's made by JLG, I contacted them and they said it was made for a boom truck but they're not sure which.

  21. #21Mike Van2014-01-31 18:43

    This was from a few months ago, my Hiab 650 on '74 Chevy C60 moving our new Garn boiler into it's home.

  22. #22old-iron-habit2014-01-31 20:52

    I think the 21000 is the coolest big crane built. I was doing a job in the Manitowoc right up the road from Manitowoc Crane when they build the first 21000 in 1999 or 2000. I used to go over and watch them test it. Watching them boom out with 500 ton loads was neat. Never seen it happen but I seen the mess after the luffing jib tipped backwards over the crane when they were figuring out erection and tear down procedures. I don't remember what they called it but they had the super lift attachment with the big tires under the counterweights when they were testing. Wish I could find the pictures.

  23. #23kat092014-02-01 20:26

    21000 This was a nice crane once we got the bugs out of it. The aux. hoist drum had one bad pump when it came in. Changed it, a little fine tuning and it was probably the best winch I've ever ran on an epic machine and it had 48,000#line pull to boot. Machine was s/n 4. We didn't have the maxer wagon on it, didn't have the room, could have used the capacity though. Had to do a lot of walking, it only had max radius of 195'. Block weighed 47,000#(it only had 1 sheave pack)., ball weighed 2,700#. Compared to an 18000 its pretty primitive but a picking horse! It sure liked to eat mats!

  24. #24redneckchevy92014-02-06 07:06

    Man you guys lift some big crap!

  25. #25redneckchevy92014-02-06 07:11

    That set=up will come in handy I know for your business. I see you already have one Kodiak, how do you like them? We have a '92 here at the yard. 14' bed & single axle with 366 gasser 5speed high/low. It has been a great truck for us & consistently outperforms a couple of our newer trucks.

  26. #26redneckchevy92014-02-06 07:13

    Do your outriggers extend out away from the truck any further? Seems like you wouldn't be able to put to much weight out away from the truck if your riggers don't go any wider than that, which is a set up that may work for you.

  27. #27Mike Van2014-02-06 08:20

    Theres no extending these jacks - Some models do, but not mine. That boiler weighed 2200 lbs, and I was able to extend the third section almost all the way before the far side jack started to lift off the ground. I nosed the truck in after that, so the lift was dead straight ahead, got a few more feet in before I ran out of what it would pick at that length. Right next to the truck, I've lifted some 4000 pound logs onto the bed, thats mostly what I do with it. No huge ones on this time, but a good load.

  28. #28mowingman2014-02-06 11:50

    I like my old kodiaks. They both have 3116 Cat engines. While not the best engine Cat ever made, they are giving me good service. The grapple is a 96 and the dump is a 93. Lots of miles on both, but they run strong. I also have a 92 Kodiak Cat 3116, flatbed, that is set up for pulling gooseneck trailers. It has almost 400,000 on it, but still runs great also. While not very fancy, these old Kodiaks seem pretty good for light to medium duty service. The price on all three were bargains also, compared to similar trucks with International, Ford, Sterling, or Freightliner chassis under them. Jeff