show off your rig pictures around the country!
Here is my MACK
1999 RD 688 with 18K fronts, 55k Rears and a 16' Beauroc Body
My dub
Not much room to park...
:usaWish everyone did this. Only thing missing is motor tranny combo.
Haha well in the case of the truck I posted, I don't drive it too much since I'm away at school, but I know it has the 425hp 3406 and 8LL tranny. I wanna say 46 rears but I'm not sure about the tag or the front. It does have full lockers which is real nice.
Tub Dump's How many yards is those tub bed's .
My dad is a mechanic for a trucking company that got a large off road job down in Owens Lake, the ground is really soft so they took all thier old retired trucks and converted them for off road use with super singles on the front and terra tires on the back. The last one is my favorite, it just looks mean. I'll post some of our own trucks a little later after I round up some pics.
Here are the trucks that me and my dad run. Both are filthy dirty at the moment, niether one of them are show trucks but they usually stay polished up pretty good. First up is my 1989 pete 379 exhd. It has a 3406B at 475 hp with a 13 speed behind it. 12k front axle and 46k rears with full lockers on air ride. The box is a 2004, 16', std hight western rock box. The inside is kept super clean, (I am very picky when it comes to the inside of my truck) it has a wood grain dash with full chrome guage package and a nice satelite stereo system.
Next is my dads truck, of course his has to be a little nicer than mine. :beatsme This truck is a 1988 pete 379 exhd. It has a 3406B at 550 HP with an 18 speed behind it going to the full locking, air ride 46k rears and it has a 14k front axle. It also has a retarder in addition to the normal jake to help slow it down. It has 2004, 16', 8" over std Reliance transfer boxes and trailer. This truck also has a loaded interior and is super comfortable to drive. The fenders, top of the cab, air tanks under the cab, stripes on the boxes and battery box cover on the trailer are all color changing paint and go from green to purple depending on what angle your looking at the truck from. You'll notice in the picks that from the passenger side it all looks purple, but from the drvers side it looks green. When we bought them my truck was an OTR tractor and my dads was a lowbed tractor. We tore them completely down, stretched the frames on both trucks and then rebuilt them from the frame up the way we wanted. The two of us did all the work on our own, we did my truck first, parked it in the back and then did his.
Here's my truck, its a 2004 Kenworth T-800, 475 Cat, 8LL transmission, 46 rears on NewWay air ride, 18.5 ft bibeau body.
Really liking your T8. The looks, the specs and that nice shade of BLUE . :drinkup I have a thing for blue trucks.
Nice trucks everyone. Hey monster those tires look like forwarder tires, looking good.
They are actually made for manure sreaders, my dad heard about the conditions on the job and went the local dairy to check out there trucks and see what they use, then he just adapted the idea to thier dimp trucks. I have never seen a forwarder in this area, the ground is way too steep and we hardly ever take wood that small. Everything around here is done with yarders and it is rare that we get a piece of ground that the cats or skidders can even come into play.
Grandpa's wheelbarrow Finally ready to start hauling.
eaton fuller 8LL and a mack 350, tuned up a little to about 400 hp
09 mack granite 58 rears J&J dump body
What front end do you have under that Mack... The one with 2 steering boxes?
Can I drive one of those bad boys LOL
Here is my Volvo VHD (465 Hp, 8LL, 20F, 20L and 46R) roll off with a 20' 18CY dump box
lol Trust me you want nothing to do with that job! It is in the middle of the desert with absolutely nothing around and all you do all day is haul dry powder dirt a few miles back and forth. Owens lake is a huge dry lake bed in the middle of the desert and apperently a bunch of envromentalists studied the lake bed and realized that when the wind blows it creates dust that blows across the pacific ocean and lands in foriegn countries ointhead So some engineers decided that the state should pay to build a series of muti mile long berms across the desert to raise the wind up high enough that it wont pickup any dust from the desert floor and carry it overseas to dust out foriegn countries. And we wonder why there is a budget crisis?
Thats my dream job? I love driving dump trucks no matter where or when. You see I am at that new driver stage. You remember when you first got your license and you were content just moving the family car around? Thats how I feel about truck driving right now. I am just ready to rip and run, and you said the middle of nowhere....even better...no traffic.....SWEET!
damn nice paint job there tonka!
lol Yeah, who would have thought that you might like that color combo? :drinkup
that your hillwick ride?
Hillwick yes, mine no...
Just an '98 378 Does the job and more! ftb that is a mean looking Mack !
That's a kick ass Mack for real!!!!!
so its back to driving ..........and this is what im in 97 RD 350hp mack 18spd:throwup on 58 rears
I am new to truck driving.....what does it mean when you say 58 rears?
here is mine. 98 freightliner N-14 cummins 435 hp, 8ll trans, 18 fronts 46 rears with full lockers. 14 foot hi tensile body.
It means the rear end is 58,000#.
Thanks I apoligize if I asked a silly question, but I am trying to learn as much as I can before I hit the road......maybe one day I can post pics of my dump
It is the weight rating of the axles. For example, my truck has 46k rears and a 12k front. This means that my truck is rated to handle a gross weight of 58,000 pounds. But due to DOT wheight restriction laws in california I can only gross 46,000 pounds.
So say you have a tri axle dump, with the same weight rating, does that mean 69k on the rear and 12k on the front, that will total 81k gross right? If I got it wrong, i'm so sorry
Look on the inside of the door frame and it should tell you the capacity of each axle. If you add those together it will give you the gross weight rating of the truck. Every state has different limits for your axle groups though and they are usually far lower than your axle ratings. One thing you have to remember is that you are also limted by your tire capacity. DOT will calculate your capacity by whatever rating is lowest.
I see your from Cal.....I heard they are real strict about how much of a load you can haul is that true?
Yeah they are really strict about weights and the load cannot be higher than the side of the bed unless it is tarped. It is starting to get a little rediculous around here.
89 Kenworth t800 This is a great truck. Cummins 350, 10 speed fuller. Rear Bags and havy duty fronts. works about 50 hours a week.
I hear that......what happened to the days when youy can haul big loads without any problems
Thats a great looking truck
Got a new gig and this is the truck I got to cruise around in today, it's not my full time ride (owners son already called dibs) but mine is pretty simalar. It is a very well mantained '93 Mack with 500 horses going through an 18 speed to 46k rears. It has 12" over standard Reliance transfer gear strapped on the back and is VERY comfortable to drive.
here ya go...
Kenworth Loading out a basement. Truck is a 2007 T800 KW with C13 Cat. 20K front, 46K rear with steerable lift axles. Air & electric to the rear for pulling our 25t. tri-axle tag trailer.
79 Kenworth W900a - 400 cummins, fuller 15spd direct, 46k rears, 16k front, and a 13.5' New Englander body. Started life as a tractor with an 8V92 and a 9 speed - when i picked it up it had been converted to a dump with the Cummins and a 13 spd which had a very large hole in the side of it. Wanting the deep reduction and not the price tag of an 8ll the 15spd was a cost effective swap. Oddly the truck had wider wheel spacers and still has 1 more leaf spring on the passengers side. After asking around a bit an old timer told me that it was common back in the day up in Maine to compensate for the crown in the road and keep the truck out of the ditch - Makes sense since i did buy the truck in Maine
i got a 1986 ford f800 with a cat 3208 and a 5spd with a 2spd rear its a good truck i know some guys dont like the 3208 but i love it pulls good when i tow my 20 tone trailer with my 315 on the back and when i got a load of clay in it. this truck will not stop at any challenge i give it and has 144,000 actual miles.
here's some of our old junk and a couple pics of the Star's back when they were new
the stars sweet looking
how do you like the GMC/Chevy, is it a 6500?
Thanks JJ. Capt: it's just a 5500 but it's 4wheel drive and at the time (and still may be) the largest 4x4 a guy could buy from the factory from GMC. I dont care much for it, we have had it since new in '05 and it still only has 9,000 miles on it. It used to be handy when we had a 939C and a tri-axle pintle but the 939 was just a little better than a large skid steer and we have since went to all 963C's and im a little nervous about putting a 963 behind it lol. Pj
seeing that 939 behind it makes me feel better about the loads i have been towing behind mine. good luck,
an old hendrickson that my dad used to work with from Redtop Trucking. i'll have to get some shots of our two tri's in the next couple days
Non west coast trucks look so stupid?!
Wow tell us how you really feel, what makes an east coast truck look so stupid? Do ya really want to get in a pissing match about east coast/west coast trucks?
Pic 1- 2006 International 4300 Pic 2- 2004 International 4300 Pic 3- 1996 International 4700 Pic 4- Group Shot
first dumptruck i drove, onsite snow hauling, 6-71 screaming detroit backed by a mostly wasted clutch that dident fully release and fuller 8spd, heat controlls that consisted of a switch that was labeled "on" and "off" but worked good, widows that had duckt tape sealant but again the heat worked good, and no diff lock so that anything more than 2 inch of snow was shovel time. but all that was fine and well and actually fun (only machine on the lot with a radio) except..... that it had the turning raidius of an oil tanker, and i aint exaggerating either if you were to make a right turn onto a two lane road (one in each direction) you would go halfway out onto the sholder on the other side easy, to attempt the same on a city street would be a two point turn. it was ridiculus but as the boss said "that truck has made me so mutch ****ing money"
Here's a couple more of the transfer ive been driving.
Heres a pic of my 2005 Granite after running in the salt during the winter ointhead I wash it every time the temp goes above freezing, Im working on getting the box painted black whenever I get a free minute. 370HP/jake Mack T310MLR trans. 20K front 44K rear 14 foot brandon box air and electric to rear 81,000 miles
A few action shots. Waiting to get loaded. Loading the 5500 (duramax, allison, extra springs (hold on to your kidneys) added to get 26K GVW,11 foot box, towing package) Dumping gravel with the mack,
Heres a few of my buddy's truck, all the trucks in thier fleet are extremely nice but his gets to be a just a little fancier because his last name matches the one on the door :drinkup Despite what it looks like this truck is not babied, it runs just like the rest of them. It hauls everything from 1/4 ton rip rap to chiken manure on a regular basis and spends the majority of it's time on dirt roads in the woods around here.
I am really diggin on the two petes from Ca. These are the type of machines I see in my area. Workin Class Tractors fellas. Good job on makin em personal
They have four transfers and four tractors that pull walking floors, all that same color red and all are late model pete 379/389's. There isnt a bad truck in the bunch and they are all done up pretty nice. The pride of the fleet however is the purple truck. The old 1993 pete transfer with over one million miles on it that looks just like every other truck on the road. It's a nice truck but is nothing special or eye catching... it does however have a 3406 cat motor that has been dynoed at 878 horse power! No one knows what was ever done to it to get that kind of power and the motor was supposed to just be a stock 475 cat when they bought it and put it in.
Is that Den Beste outta cloverdale? They pull transfer to the lumber yard I (my work) use and take fine care of their machinery. The owner told me thats what they have. very similar fleet. I know a bunch a guys I meet are haulin "super dirt" and fertilizers to "farmers". It kills me that at least in the 707-415 area code much of the dirt works gettin hard to come by. I like lookin at DUMP trucks! Almost as much as loggin rigs and these new?? Rouge transfers and lightweight soils jobs....well leave me thinking their fragile. They just LOOK weak
Rouge transfers are actually very strong and probably some of the best built high side boxes out there. And I was wrong, the purple truck has had a stock motor in it for quite a while now, it also hasnt been on the road in a while.
That I am sure of , They are made in Cave Junction Or, and nothings weak there except the weather and all the tweakers that wrecked the place. All I meant by it is the look of the bodies. I like standard elliptical boxes or 12 over on the Reliance trailers. The Rouges being convex just look different. I am A tabletop/armchair trucker I have NO IDEA whats workin out there and not workn for guys that are paying for them. The ones I see around my area have been kinda oh , how do I put this. I guess like lowrider hay trucked.. Bunch A lights and lo pro tires skin kits HUGE fenders. A few guys have taken the trucks (for me) WAAAAY past what I think is cool and made of "mall crawlers" as I call them.
I just am A real big fan of older trucks that run deep lug drivers. If its A red oval, 87 is the newest for me and really an A KW nut. The way I see it if its the truck thats most commonly bought for logging...Maker er tough enough. I dont drive em or work on em I justbuy books go to shows and dream of making payments at this stage. I have no idea what spending 8-12 hrs in one is even like. I just dream of doing it on roads that are gravel at best and the jakes not for gettin people attn. If I could drive say 10-20 miles an hour to the landing or a pit..... Very happy guy!
pretty job in the mountains. dont slip!
Cool man, that is the fleet that has some hauling work into Fairfax. Real nice guy (the owner) and his kid both took a few minutes to talk to me. Class act. They also have an Alloy outside rail flatbed in there yard I took pictures of to have my buddy make me one in 25th scale for my model dio of a truckin/log shop. Turned out real cool. I used to love going by J E T when they were up and running to look at Their shop. I am trying to replicate something like it in my garage. Dont know if the scale stuff interests ya but I have a scratch built logging fleet , Reliance 28ft end dump thats nuts accurate and ,its not here yet but a cozad expando comin as well. If ter interested gimme yer email and I would love to show ya.
Does anyone elce even make transfer tubs anymore? I know Reliance was bought by Rouge this spring.
I am only a dump truck fan so my info comes from my buddies and my truck spotting, BUT what I see here in The "bay area" (and I am ALWAYS looking is Rouge, Reliance, Wesco, Allco, Superior, Knight(rarely) and I believe Beall makes one as well. AGAIN I just collect models and books and stuff so I am not current or involved w the trade. This is just what I see on the highway.
At my work we have six transfers, 2 reliance (one square tub and one round tub), 2 superiors, 1 likens and 1 wesco. The reliance and wesco round tubs are identical and I didnt even realize that mine wasnt reliance for about a week. Those two are miles ahead of the others. The likens are well built boxes but they have way more parts than they need to and seem way over complicated after running the reliance style. The superiors are junk, they are the lightest of all of them but they do not last, all four of the boxes have had to be straightened a few times, the trailer boxes had bowed out so much that they wouldnt fit in the truck. I also dont trust the tail gate to hold the trailer box in while you dump. The air drive system on them is nice though. The reliance and wescos are my favorite of the bunch but that would be different if we had a rouge setup, after learning more about them i would never buy anything else. One more thing about the superiors, they use channel to build the tounges and both of our trailers have had the tounges collapse while trying to back up a hill. I know your not supposed to back a transfer uphill but we work in alot of tight, steep places and do alot of backing up, we have never had a problem with any other trailer.
I hear the same thing you said from my transfer pal in the sierras. Superior= landfill starter kit! He had the same thing to say about Wescos as well. He owns two Reliance 15' 12" overs and A pretty choiced out Rouge 16' set for transfers and really likes the Rouges. Again I have only ridden w my buddies. So saying I know anything about a set o slams is just speculation but I sure liked the days I got to ride along. I envy your job. I was taught how to do it on my boy Drews ROACHED 2000 379 w a 60 series and 13spd and reliance gear and have to say that riding in my other buddies 359 w a turned up Bmodel.... DDEC is bringing plastic spoon to a gun fight. That 3406B really out pulled it easy. Now I do not pay fuel or know anything about if either is more/less reliable but the yellow engine was more FUN to be in... Plus it was an 86 so as far as I care much cooler truck
I had to drive one of the superiors today and got a couple pics while I was at it. It is a 2000 with a 460hp mack engine turning an eaton 13spd, the axles are 12k on the front and 40k rears. I like the truck but dont trust anything about the boxes, they just arent built to last. The 26.75 ton payload is nice though.
Drove this old Kenworth for a few years, has a 14 yard box, Cummins ntc 350, 6 spd main, 4spd aux and 44 rockwell diff at 5.26 ratio, wasn't fast but worked hard for a truck built in 1974!
here is our newest truck
This is both of them together but you can not see pup trailer behind Pete
Her is a picture of the pete and pup trailer
Heres the truck i drive- 1987 Mack R686 300 12 spd w/ mud stick Dynatard A/c 46 rears 14' Everest Body All Alum Wheels.
JR Hayes and Sons. This is a typical truck you would see in Western Washington State. Here are some photos from when i worked for J R Hayes and Sons in Maple Valley WA around 2003. Photos were taken in Ravensdale WA (near Bremmeyer Logging's yard) and the others at the entrance to the Pacific Coast Coal Company John Henry Mine, where JR Hayes dumped the mud from the belt press off the wash plant at their Maple Valley pit. JR Hayes and Sons has sold off all but 2 of their trucks. Their drivers were union (had to strike to get that way) and the company figured it was just cheaper to hire trucks than run their own. There was alot hurt feelings over the drivers joining the Teamsters union that eventually lead to the end. FUNNY STORY: I broke an axel at the Reserve Silica mine about 10 miles from the shop in Maple Valley WA, and Jimmy Hayes came to tow the truck in on a "dog bone" tow-bar. Jimmy only said 1 thing to me before we left the mine, DON'T YOU TOUCH THE BREAKS UNLESS I TELL YOU TO. I assure you, driving at 50 MPH 10 feet behind an other truck with only a 10 foot tow bar hooked to the pintle hitch of the truck in front of you is a crazy experience, whats worse? Having him throw it in reverse and start backing you toward the shop at a high rate of speed. Jimmy was a legend for his screaming an these type of antics. OLD SCHOOL type of guy.
my t800 and t600 here are mine, both well used. the t800 has about 900,000 miles on it. 350 cummins, 10 spd, bags. not the greatest but it works and i do move my machines with it. the other one i picked up at auction for cheap. it has a 444 red top. 13 speed RR. hendriksen and a high lift rock box. they will both spend a goos time of the winter in the shop.
I like the Kenworth, how long is the set up and how many ton can you haul?
I used to love 4-wheeling in that clay-pit mine in Ravensdale!
Max gross in WA is 105,500lbs, that setup could haul 33 tons. I think the setup was around 75 feet long. I know it is 69ft from the center of the steer axel on the truck to the center of the rear axel on the trialer It was scary as hell where we use to have to dump off, that water is 300' deep. Back up to the edge and just dump off, no birm to hold the trucks back because we were dumping the trucks without unhooking the trailers, so the hitch would hit if there was a birm. Reserve Silica had a birm, we had to unhook there, 8-9 loads a day, that stuff driping out of the tailgate on your head and back while you unhooked, it was miserable. i once had to lock up the brakes on 169 near 4 corners and had the silt tailings flow over the front of my trailer and under the truck. Was a bad deal, car stopped to make a left hand turn infront of me. Called it in and hammered down. we would dump right where the end of lake ginder road is on the google maps, its overgrown now but you can see it in the link http://maps.google.com/maps?q=raven...322371,-121.985764&spn=0.000902,0.003125&z=19 http://maps.google.com/maps?q=raven...651,-121.98957&spn=0.014545,0.049996&t=h&z=15
07 KW T800, 475 CAT C-15, 18 speed, 46,000 Rears, 14,600 Front, 12,000 Pusher, Sturdyweld Box, Trailmax TRD-54 Trailer I added a Kenwood radio that has old school radio, built in Sirius, and plugs into a I Pod. This winter I'm building a oversize load sign holder that'll go into the front two KW tow hook holes, and add some strobes on the sign holder. We're also going to re-decal it, Blue metallic with a black outline for the company logo and I got some bigger Wyo Bucking Horses for the hood.
Looking good, with that Sturdyweld box on there i thought it was a truck from Western Washington when i first saw it.
DirtHauler,I know the area quite well,grew up on Lake Sawyer.I rember getting blasted buy some of that mud out of one of the old w900.The Hays office was not interested in my complaint.So I called the State patrol.They put out an "emphasis" patrol the next day.That day I hauled a 120 home behind my sweet Mack I drove.I got followed close by a white van all the way home!
DirtHauler, when my Dad decided to retire the first time around, we moved up to Skagit for about 4 years in the winters and spring. We picked up the truck, took delivery of it in WY for taxes and that's where he set up the business / had authority etc. He worked with it in the winters for about 2 years up in WA. He never was able to get a real 'in' and ended up just keeping it down here full time and we sold out up there. It was sure neat to take a tour of the factory when we bought it though!
I planned on spending the day at the lake, but after getting a phone call from a buddy I ended up helping him haul cow **** all day. Funny how your plans can change....
MT you and Chris looking good!
Until he dumped a pile of cow crap on my roof.... thank god I had the windows up!!
here are a few pics ,the inter was my old truck and the fl is on the job now:usa
That Freightliner is looking great ! Kyle
Here is my ride 05 International Workstar 340 HP with a 13 spd. 20 front, 20 lift and 40 rears. Got satellite radio and a subwoofer in it, too!
Weird, it's on the road not sitting in the shop? lol
Haha got the truck back and not even 5 hours after using it, its back in the shop for a brutal coolant leak!
Not mine but the last Dump Truck I drove in Missouri. ** I don't know how to get it to show without clicking, I put the image code in. Oh well.
what series is that fl we have an fl 106 which is tandem with a lil 4 cylinder detriot 50 series with an 9 speed
fl80 with a 8LL and 3126 @300hp, not the king of cats lineup but seems to be doing well,,
Staten Island Dump Truck Yard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6GVJW8E6ZQ A lot of great photography posted on here. In lieu of stills, here's a quick video of the J. Ippolito Excavating dump truck fleet in Staten Island, NY.
2003 7600 workstar 7600, c12 cat (395hp) 8LL, power windows,locks,mirrors,cruise, and air conditioning of course. 190K mi.
I thought these old dumps were pretty neat. Saw a whole lot full of them up in Buffalo, NY, back in about 1974. I believe this was Staffen Trucking, actually in Tonawanda, NY.
That the one you want to put the twin stacks on. I think peterbilt used to have their y pipe pretty low.
The old Volvo with 300hp, with a 13 speed on air ride. Replaced by a slightly more modern 450hp, with a deep reduction 9 speed, on spring ride...boy do I miss having air ride. And then of course, the late model 475hp hooked to an automatic. Certainly not my choice for towing, but sure is nice in traffic!