Hi I have a cat 320b l excavator that will not shut off with the key. I was wondering if anyone had that problem before or what to check. Thank you
The first thing I would check is the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump. I have had several fail. Also check for a loose wire or bad ground that could cause the failure.
Also does the monitor, radio, and the like shutoff or stay on? Could be bad key switch, shorted wires, etc.
Yes everything else shuts off. The monitor and radio all shut off. Just the engine stays running.
where is the fuel shut off solenoid on the 320bl I don't see any wires going to the pump
Do you have an S/N or even the prefix to help find which 320 you have? Tried checking and there are many versions. One I looked at that s solenoid that looks like it is mounted on or near the bracket for the throttle cable that seems to have a short rod or cable going to the shut down lever on the pump.
the prefix is 6CR
6cr
This is what I find for the 320 6CR Would need to take some time tonight at home to look into how the solenoid is powered. I'm guessing it may be run through a relay that is connected to the output of the alternator to hold it in shut off till the engine stops. Boss is coming!
ok thanks for the help. don't want to get you in trouble. I am not seeing that solenoid on my machine at all. whenever you get a chance. it can wait till tonight. thanks again for you trying to help me out. I am lost. cant figure out what is suppose to shut this engine down with no solenoids. I even did a search for solenoids in the parts catalog and nothing came up.
I followed the cables from the throttle and it leads to a motor which I also found it the parts catalog
I was just joking, but was end of my 9:00 break, well should be 9:00 but was 9:35 today! I'll try to do some digging tonight.
So..........Has this engine been running since you encountered this problem? If not, how are you killing it??
Spent some time on it last night and I'm coming up blank on how this thing is shut down if not by the solenoid in the picture. That one looks like it pulls on a lever on the fuel pump just like one would see on most non-electronic fuel pumps at the governor. Is this a new to you machine? Did this problem just start? I'm guessing you are stalling the engine with the hydraulics. Not a good idea as what do you do if there is a bad hydraulic leak? I was at one of our plants working on a D6 dozer and a guy was servicing a 988B and he mentioned that was how they had to kill the engine on that machine! I explained the hazards of doing that to him his boss and my boss when I got back to our shop. Just hope someone listened, never heard more on that problem!
I cant help you with the exact location of the solenoid, but it absolutely has one and Im 95% certain that is your problem. Also, I second what kshansen said about using hydraulics to stall it out. Works fine until something else goes wrong.
yes the machine is new to me cause I just started here as the mechanic for a construction company. I am not sure how long it has been like this. all I know is that the last mechanic did not know what is was doing. he butchered everything. things missing wires cut on all machines and trucks. just trying to sort everything out. we shut the machine down by getting out of the cab go to the engine and shut that lever and the machine shuts off. I just don't see and markings where there used to be a bracket or anything to hold that solenoid. I also don't see any extra wires hanging around either. where you able to find anything in the parts catalog. if you are able to look at one. if you what did you look under cause I couldn't find anything about a solenoid in the catalog. not sure what they would call it
The newer versions of this machine just pull the throttle lever down below idle to shut it off. If you disconnect the cables at the lever you could see if that works. If that works it may just need a throttle calibration.