Hello need help to diagnose and repair shuttle cutout on my 580c bought hoe over the winter and have been restoring and repairing as needed last job is to get shuttle cutout working. I have case's big repair manual but cannot find what I need .shuttle solenoid was disconnected?? looks like is not original ??? only thing I did was to ohm out solenoid got 3.6 ohms that look ok? any help on what it does and how to repair it is much appreciative tanks Charlie
You need to be more specific with your questions @chas357 Is the wiring still in place to connect to again? Is there a switch on the floor - under your left heel? Is there a toggle switch on the dash that says "drive/neutral? If the cut out has not been used for a long time, the dump valve inside the control valve / spool may be stuck & not allow cut out operation. Try putting 12v & a ground to the solenoid & see if it still "clunks". If you have the service manual, it should have an electrical diagram of the entire machine - including the transmission cut out.
The 3.6ohms is probably fine, mine measured around 2.8ohms when I rewired it. - HeavyEquipmentForums
Good morning yes I connected the wires to the solenoid yes it has a foot switch and a dash switch.looking at the wiring diagram it shows a diode in circuit when I was under hoe I remember finding a double female plug but could not find a mail plug to connect could be were diode goes???could I connect 12volt to solenoid temporarilty,start hoe and see if it drives all wiring on hoe look orig and in fairly good condition for it age will post more when I can get back to work on hoe thands charlie
That double female connector is for the Solenoid, since it originally had a double male connector. The Solenoid is not polarized, so it can be plugged in either way. That Diode on the other hand is polarized and needs to be plugged in correctly to work, it uses a 1 male 1 female connector for that purpose. If the wiring is original it will be right around the solenoid connector somewhere plugged into the end of a 2 wire connector, might look like a connector plugged into nothing depending on how dirty/painted things are under there. That Diode needs to be in there if you plan to use the Cutout solenoid, as that is a bit of a protection device for when the power is removed from the coil. When I rewired my machine I just put a new Diode on the connector that went to the Solenoid. Engaging the cutout solenoid basically puts the Shuttle into Neutral, with it disconnected, unplugged or even the wires cut the backhoe should move. If it's not moving now there is another issue somewhere else that needs corrected first.