Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sick tranny

ocfan4-5 ยท 2013-10-19 20:08

I just purchased a 1945 D4 Cat from a friend who used it very little. After unloading it from the trailer I pushed a couple of small piles of brush and went from 1st to reverse twice. When I went back to 1st and turned it would not come out of first and when I engage the clutch will not move and bogs down. What in the heck has happened

Replies7
  1. #1DPete2013-10-19 20:21

    Welcome to the forum, sounds like it may be in 2 gears at once. Try this site http://www.acmoc.org/bb/forum.php it's an antique Cat forum and lots of D4 knowledge there

  2. #2Scrub Puller2013-10-19 22:00

    Yair . . . ocfan4-5 . With a bit of luck it will just bit as DPete says and no cause for alarm. Its a very common problem. You need to unbolt the shifter and get a screw driver or bar in there and align the selectors . . . you might have to take a bit of weight off the tranny if the tractor is leaning on the gears. You will probably find the selector on the end of the gearstick is worn. It can be built up but you could go for months now and it won't happen again. Cheers.

  3. #3stondad2013-10-20 23:24

    Lust like a Holden 3-speed column shift eh Scrub?

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-10-23 21:00

    Yair . . . LOL. Gotcha stondad ,been there, actually we made a 'straight line' floor shift for the EK . . . now that shows my vintage. (he grins) Cheers.

  5. #5stondad2013-10-23 21:58

    Ha ha. Me too. I worked with a fella years ago who had a bombed-up Ford Customline. They had put a four speed floor shift in it and the thing could go. But because it was too hard they had left the old column shift installed but not connected. So back in the days when it was only single lane from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, they went for a run down on the weekend (as you do). I don't remember the speeds, so I won't make them up, but they were speeding, and a V12 Jag comes up behind and goes to pass. My mate let them get up beside, but then held them out at ever higher speeds. While he still had a bit left, he pulled the column shift lever up into where second would have been, and floored it, pulling ahead. The Jag thought they had met their match and pulled back in behind ! Cheers. M.

  6. #6Scrub Puller2013-10-23 23:06

    Yair . . . stondad . Gone O/T and apologies to the original poster but do you actually remember that single lane down there too? Cheers

  7. #7stondad2013-10-23 23:23

    You bet. Including the "space-ship" Servo! Does that prove it? Ha ha. Mate, I think we talked a bit one other time so please PM your Phone numbers and I give you a ring. I bet if we don't know each other, we both know someone else. Won't be today though, sorry. Cheers.