Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Side Boards

Old Doug ยท 2019-03-20 21:29

I am trying to build some new sides for my 16' flatbed dump. The problem is the stake pockets are 1.3/4 x 2.1/2. I need a cheap and easy way to build something. The pockets are 6 1/2" deep. If it was something wasnt 50 years old i would go all out.It may be easyer to re build the pockets to fit something diffrent. For now i am going to the front 40" tall and the sides will be 2 2x12s so i can haul some rock and the loader guys can see to load me without puting it all on one side.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2019-03-21 00:02

    If you don't have a local sawmill that can get you rough cut white oak or better, then buy some SYP/ southern yellow pine. I'd bet that's pretty reasonable in your area? The stake pockets need a little wiggle room if you ever want to take them out. If you put a full 1 3/4 in there you'll never get it out by hand.

  2. #2Tiny2019-03-21 02:10

    This is dead on . I made sideboards fit snug and with the rock dust and rain swelling at the time the stakes were stuck . tried pulling them off with a boom truck .... Had to drill the broke stubs out .

  3. #3td25c2019-03-21 07:50

    We went with short sides and treated tongue & groove . HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4Old Doug2019-03-21 19:41

    Thats a good looking chevy. I am going to try useing 2" pipe flating it some then puting 1/4" plates on them to take up some slack.The front will be all steel it will come around to the sides to the first pocket. I was going to go to a sawmill today and a welding shop but i didnt make it.

  5. #5td25c2019-03-21 21:41

    That should work fine Doug .

  6. #6ianjoub2019-03-22 09:06

    I used 2 x 4 PT. The 1 1/2" was fine for the 1 3/4" hole. The 3 1/2" width I just trimmed down to fit loosely in the 2 1/2" hole. For the long boards I used 5/4" deck boards (PT). I left a good gap between the boards as I wouldn't have any sand or gravel that could get through the gap that deep in the trailer due to weight.