Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Side walking ssr

tom nappi · 2018-12-15 17:57

I’m new to the site looking at buying a cat 307 ssr everything seems good for age and price one final drive has been replaced question is it walks or pulls to one side when driven could this be from a different final drive than original and if so why please help

Replies11
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-12-15 21:16

    Are the chains equally tensioned ? You would be surprised what improper track slack can cause.

  2. #2tom nappi2018-12-16 09:31

    I guess that could be it. It was Avery cold, snowy day when I looked at it. Without it being in a shop, I can’t be certain. All I know is the side it favored was the side the final drive was replaced on. Forward/reverse handles are also “off”. The gentleman that looked at it with me said it could be the replacement final drive vs. the original, this isn’t my specialty so I’m relying on others expertise. Thanks for your input.

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-12-16 10:47

    Well, if you're concerned with travel box replacement, ask the question, who replaced it? I'm sure CAT is not going to put a "will-fit" part in there. Then you can ask to compare part numbers. They should be the same or have a superseccion to the new number. I still think, before making a purchase of that scale, get the tracks adjusted, track again and see how she does. If, with good slack , shes still off, I would shy away. It may, may have pump issues or a turning joint leaking. These are things you would need a qualified tech on hand to help you through, kinda like a home inspection prior to purchase.

  4. #4John C.2018-12-16 11:15

    I believe a 307 SSR is a gray market machine. Unless you know a good mechanic with experience on these machines, it is probably better to pass on a purchase. The problems can be deep and expensive.

  5. #5tom nappi2018-12-16 11:52

    the owner and neighbor who owns small excavation company final drive came out of texas owner said about 3500 for part machines gray market doesnt really scare me parts comparible to 307 bparts manual in japenese asking price reflects all of these thoughts i guess any purchase is a gamble dont want a payment book along with purchase machine was also purchased local at a contractors auction about 4400 hrs on it nothing else scarred me about it pretty usual stuff for 90' machine

  6. #6Welder Dave2018-12-16 13:57

    It would help to understand your posts better if you used sentences but as far as tracking, how much is it off? If not a lot could be a slight difference in the linkage or valve where maybe one side isn't getting as much oil flow. If the drive motor was changed could affect it too. I had to change a drive motor in my skid steer and one side is now slightly faster than the other at full speed but it's so slight it's not worth worrying about.

  7. #7Nige2018-12-16 15:06

    Here's a bit of relevant information where you can relate a gray market machine to a US-built one. Is there any chance that a wrong final drive was installed when the repair was done and the two unit have slightly different ratios..?

  8. #8tom nappi2018-12-16 22:17

    Nige, thank you sir for the info, I will look into this.

  9. #9Ct Farmer2018-12-16 23:19

    Good ideas so far. You might also check to see if any hoses have been replaced with something undersize or maybe a restricted fitting/adapter. Both sides should have the same size hoses etc. or flow could be different and thus motor speed. Also - is the brake fully releasing? Leaky line?

  10. #10Nige2018-12-17 04:40

    Internal leaks in the swivel joint maybe..?

  11. #11uffex2018-12-17 04:55

    Good day Attached some information you may find helpful. Kind regards Uffex