I've searched around but haven't found any info on what the sidehill capabilities of a CTL, in particular a Takeuchi TL-8 or like sized machine is . My UTV has a factory tip table rating of 35 degrees and was wondering if there is any info on CTL's that would give me an idea how far a guy can go before roll over or in the seat experience?
Track loaders should only go straight up or down slopes. If you go sideways to the slope, you often loose a track. If a track comes off on a slope it's a huge pain in the butt. I would only ever operate going across a slope that you feel is fairly comfortable. To traverse back and forth a slope a lot, I would excavate a flat area at the start of the traverse, and then excavate a more level traversing path/road.
At 40⁰ your clacker will be sucking onto the seat, from there you'll get callous if you do it to often
In my experience they will hang on a pretty good hill, but not like a dozer. Usually it will start loosing traction on the up hill side and want to pivot around when you are getting too steep. Just a guess but it will probably go on as steep or steeper hill than your UTV. Also most modern machines, with good and properly tensioned tracks, can be run on side hill with some care and not have the tracks come off. Older, worn out tracks, improperly tensioned your asking for trouble. With that being said, I only do steep side hills if absolutely necessary and do so with care. It is hard on the undercarriage and should be avoided if possible. When you are on a side hill if you start to hear popping or feel like something is binding up, STOP, get out and investigate. If you catch it in time you can often reverse what you did and avoid a track coming off.
Until you roll over, then you'll know. Really no possible way to explain to you, you're going to have to get busy in the seat and figure it out on your own.
In the UTV my butt's cutting washers WAY before the 35 degree mark. I hooked mine up to the excavator and started tipping it on its side slowly, At 25 degrees your stuck to the downhill door and seatbelt. I put a angle gauge on the dash and red marked it 5 degrees before tip. I guess I could do the same on a CTL.
Just make sure your boom is nailed all the way down if you are counting on your angle meter . . .
A 1in 1 batter angle is 45⁰ and I have worked along 1 in 1.5 batters but not with a CTL. Couldn't let the bottom side track dig in what so ever
On another note, have you seen how they are running forest harvesters down slopes too steep to drive using a winch up top ? Too steep for me.
The max one should consider safely is something like 25 degrees. The track loader is much better than a skidsteer on wheels on a side slope. However, one should make note on the following before proceeding across a steeper than 25 degree slope. How much time as an operator do you have in the machine you are using and how many hours and training do you have in track loaders? Do the tracks have deep lugs, or are they warn out or are they smooth tracks? Is the slope wet? What is the terrain like you are crossing? Is it a grassy field, freshly cleared rough grade slope, or a slope through the woods. Have you walked the path you are going to cross to see if there are any logs/branches in the way, loose rocks, or is it all slippery wet clay? At more than 30 degrees, you may be more worried about slipping down the hill, then rolling over. The CTL is tail heavy without a load in the front. This can mean the tail drops out and so you turn downhill to keep the machine straight, but the traverse moves you further down the hill. Remember the steeper the hill, the harder to get back up the hill. Lastly, a CTL is not a dozer, excavator, or other type of machine that may do better on steep hills. Be sure to wear your seatbelt!
I can't see putting anything but a dozer sidehill on any slope steeper than 3:1 (33%, 15 degree). A CTL may stay on it steeper than that on the right material, but consider the type of work that you are doing with a CTL and I have to think that there are better methods to accomplish the task than going completely sidehill. It's been mentioned how butt-heavy CTLs are. I concur, and they can go over backwards on a steep slope rather easily with no attachment on, or with an attachment (bucket) too high.
I will ask my grandson
That's not funny..............but it kinda is!
All I can say is, how do you get the twig ABOVE the berries????? Lol
After a long hard day running around in the fields, they often sleep on their sides.....
Of the 3 roll-overs I've been involved with the last was on flat ground, so watch out it's dangerous out there
From Harbor Freight I bought 02 mechanical sweep angle gauges, magnetized, put them on my dozer for frame of reference. I believe they were less than 05 dollars each, yep, I am a tightwad.
Like said until u roll over. Many variables but most of the time it’ll loose traction and slide down at an angle. I’ve never rolled one an hope I never do. I try to not get in that situation. Just running back and forth the grade can change. Will definitely pucker yo azz hehe
Now that takes talent! How in the hell did that happen? You know the back story?
Yeah it does.lol Best we could make of it the butt heavy thing and the mulcher too high started it,he said it sat on its but first then laid down for it’s nap
I guess that is about the only way it could happen. Until you mentioned that I was at a complete loss.
Same here. Head scratcher......
My ASVs have angle indicators on the overhead console. 15 degrees is sketchy. Anything over 15 degrees is time to turn down hill.
Here is a chart provided in the owners manual of the Toro Dingo mini skidsteer track loader. Not the same as a CTL, but I have seen the same chart for other equipment. Each machine is different and the circumstances are always different. I would say it's being very conservative, but good advice.
Be sure to get your paper slope chart out while your customer is watching!
I was doing a little research and came across a Takeuchi TL-8 operators manual. Keep in mind this is a pretty compact track loader so its tracks are fairly close together, I would assume a bigger machine with a wider stance would be more stable on a hillside. They say the maximum gradeability is 30 degrees and lateral tipping point 15 degrees.