Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Silo demo????

oldtanker ยท 2013-01-27 00:47

Didn't know if I should post this here or on the demo forum. Decided because of the nature it belongs in safety. Hope this hasn't been posted before. http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=38970 It's had to believe they guy wasn't under a pile of concrete. Rick

Replies10
  1. #1Randy882013-01-28 08:33

    I wouldn't recommend hiring this guy to demo a silo for you on your own property, let alone those doing the filming of it, lets hope there was too much alcohol involved for them to attempt that one, if they were sober, it would be all that more disturbing.

  2. #2oldtanker2013-01-28 10:53

    Randy, from the accent I'd say they are from MN which should explain everything. Rick

  3. #3Steve Frazier2013-01-28 10:57

    This should be titled "How NOT to Demo a Silo"!!

  4. #4JBGASH2013-01-28 20:44

    Steve, I think it truly is: Silo russian rulet with 5- loaded bullets and 1- empty blank. Sure would not want to hire them for any demo of any kind.......

  5. #5Randy882013-01-29 02:01

    And to think they were proud enough of it to post it on the internet for the world to see. Does anyone know where they are from or who they are? The next question I have to ask, but was never brave enough, does insurance cover anything like that for the mentally unstable, if they'd have dropped it on the barn? You know, call your local agent and tell him send me a check, I just dropped my silo on my shed or barn and now I want to be paid for it or is there some exclusion in the policy where they won't pay for self inflicted stupidity? Or is it better to tell them, I hired Bubba and Buckwheat to sledgehammer my silo down and it only cost me a six pack of beer, but it went the wrong way and now my sheds totally flat, and I need to be paid for the damages, but don't worry, Bubba is not charging me the six pack cause it went the wrong way, that and he was too drunk to remember if I'd given him more beer anyhow? My insurance company requires me to have safety measures built in the equation and call to confirm its up to snuff before doing the demo, tell the building layout, and how I plan to do it, and what safety measures I plan to take and so forth before ever doing to job, I'm pretty sure an idiot with a sledge hammer and a moron filming it are not considered up to par on any level, and just think, they walk among us and can reproduce, that's just plain scary.

  6. #6OldandWorn2013-01-29 05:49

    The sad part about it is....they could have easily gotten away with saying that the silo just fell on its own as there is no evidence to prove otherwise.

  7. #7Randy882013-01-29 08:54

    Oldandworn, there sure is proof, we watched it, thanks to buckwheat doing the filming, but I know what you mean, if they'd have had an ounce of intelligence, as hard as that is to imagine, they could have lied their way out of it and claimed they didn't touch the silo and it just fell over.

  8. #8oldtanker2013-01-29 12:10

    You guys are looking at it as contractors as far as the demo goes. Go read your homeowners insurance. They don't normally address "demo" in those policies because homeowners/farmers don't do demo work themselves anymore. It it isn't specifically excluded it's covered. You may find that building collapse due to snow load isn't covered but that collapse caused by silo isn't excluded. You may also find that any damage caused by "reckless" acts to be excluded. On something like that it would be up to the insurance company to indeed prove that it was a reckless act. Rick

  9. #9Steve Frazier2013-01-29 14:52

    In most cases the contractor's insurance (if he had any) would be responsible for damages had it gone awry. If these knuckleheads were hired, I doubt they had any.

  10. #10Tiny2013-01-29 18:02

    I like how the guy turned his back on the thing TWICE !