I don't have a clue about heavy equipment. I did a search and found your forum. I live in an neighborhood where most of the homes are 60+ years old. This am a backhoe arrived to break up the foundation across the street as they moved the house last week. The operator used the front "hook" the part that digs in the ground to drop onto the concrete slab. He did this over and over. All the while my house is shaking like were experiencing an earthquake. The ceiling lights are swaying, pictures are falling off of the walls, white dust is flying out of the ceiling area. My question is this how it is normally done? Is this guy going to damage my house structurally? I thought that he would pull the corner of the slab up but he did this off and on for about 8 hours and I assume he will be back again tomorrow to do the same pounding on the concrete. Thanks for any information
Hi, Sam and Sandy. Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. I know you posted your questions almost 24 hours ago, so maybe it's a moot point by now, but for what it's worth... By "the front hook", I presume you mean the part that we call the "bucket." It's the scoop that fills up with dirt when the machine is digging. As far as what's "normally" done, well, that covers a lot of territory. Certainly, banging on any solid mass, be it hard rock, or a building foundation, with the bucket is not what most of us would consider best practice. That's because it's really bad for the machine. I understand that's probably not your concern though. That's probably not a question anybody here (on the internet), can answer. Maybe some of us could render an informed opinion if we were there looking at it first hand. If I had to guess, I'd say no, with the understanding that there's a difference between "structural" and "cosmetic" damage. More specifically, I doubt your house is going to fall down, but from what you describe, it's not outside the realm of possibility to expect that you might find some cracked plaster or something. And certainly, that's not something you should find acceptable unless the contractor is willing to do right by you and see to it that repairs are made. Did he come back today, and how did things turn out?
thank you for your answer Thanks for the reply. Just couldn't imagine that trying to break up several feet thick of foundation with the bucket was "normal". I asked him not to do it anymore and he hasn't. He said he could score the concrete and that it would be easier to remove. I didn't feel anything all day today. I am just grateful I found your site as it made me feel better just knowing I could ask what is best practices. It was extremely unnerving when the plaster dust was falling from the ceiling, furniture bouncing, pictures falling off of the walls. Have a great day!
That's typically a task that someone would use a hydraulic breaker (sort of like a jackhammer) on the excavator to break up the foundation. Banging on the foundation with just the bucket is, as Digger said, hard on the machine, but it's also terribly inefficient, hence the reason he worked at it all day. But it's possible they did this out of necessity as their machine may not be set up to use a breaker and their budget doesn't have room to rent another machine that does have a breaker. Just some thoughts.
A job the size that you described would need to be permitted in most locations, I'd contact your town or city's Building Dept. and ask that the inspector stop by and see your concerns. There may have been a bond posted to safeguard against just what you describe.