Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Single double or triple axle roll off?

CBM8430 · 2023-09-02 14:43

I’m considering purchasing a roll-off company in NJ. The seller tells me that his single axle cable lift International trucks are able to haul dumpsters with 10 tons of weight in them. Figure 2.5 tons for the dumpster and you’ve got potentially 12.5 tons of weight on the truck. I am concerned that is too much weight for a single axle. Am I right to be concerned? Thank you for your replies.

Replies19
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-09-03 02:25

    10 tons total weight including the bin maybe but I still doubt. I imagine the apparatus to lift the bins probably weighs a bunch too. I had a tandem come to haul away an old garage and I think the driver was out to lunch. He said he could only carry 9 tons in the bin.

  2. #2CBM84302023-09-03 08:18

    Thank you. So you’re thinking a double axle would be required? I am thinking that there are tire to pavement surface area considerations rather than mechanical. Many of the larger hauling trucks I see have very wide front tires also.

  3. #3CBM84302023-09-03 11:54

    Was looking the through some truck classifieds and looks like rear can handle about 10-11 tons per axle, so I am leaning toward a double axle. I feel like triple axle would be overkill and increased maintenance on the truck with the lift mechanism, but that single axle wouldn't be enough.

  4. #4mowingman2023-09-03 12:16

    Keep in mind how the number of axles is going to affect the overall size of the truck. I was going to get into the dumpster hauling business, until I looked at a few trucks. They were so big, they would never be able to operate in the places I would need them. Those rigs can get looong in a hurry.

  5. #5IceHole2023-09-03 14:16

    A single dual truck is GVWR of what, 30kish? Truck probably 12-15k, so maybe 10 tons load if evenly balanced.

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-09-03 15:24

    That sounds about right if the bin and lift are included. Depending what you're hauling it can be easy to overload especially if the customer loads it. They will just fill it and if it's too heavy figure it's your problem. Also if they don't want to pay for a 2nd bin they'll stuff everything into 1 bin. A tandem gives a lot more leeway if the bins aren't too big.

  7. #7cfherrman2023-09-04 08:23

    I think single axles can go 32k 54k tandem typically

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-09-04 16:26

    I've seen GVW up to 33,000lbs. for single axle.

  9. #9CBM84302023-09-11 14:44

    Thank you everyone for your replies. I got too busy to check this for a few weeks and in that time, I got a wealth of information! I'm seeing some tandem trucks with GVWR of 85k lbs. More than enough to handle my needs.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-09-11 14:59

    What tandem truck has an 85,000 GVW that's not an off road truck?

  11. #11cfherrman2023-09-11 16:13

    Ive seen some oilfield trucks gvwr to that and they only think I can think of is they thought they needed the truck rated for the trailer as well when they tagged it. So idk My rig is a twin steer and I think I could go up to 74k

  12. #12crane operator2023-09-11 18:41

    I have no idea what New Jersey bridge law allows, but I seriously doubt it’s 85,000 on three axles They do typically spec roll off trucks with double frame, and I could see 46k rears and a 20k front.

  13. #13Welder Dave2023-09-11 19:15

    That's what I was thinking around 66k max.

  14. #14CBM84302023-09-12 10:34

    I saw a listing for a Mack GU-800 Roll-off with GVWR of 85k

  15. #15CBM84302023-09-12 11:09

    Just checked NJ regs ( https://nj.gotpermits.com/njpass/Permits/DownloadStateAttachment?index=2 ) based on crane operator's tip and source I used confuses me a little bit. Page 12 seems to indicate a max allowable weight of 22.4k, but then page 14 says 34k. If I read this right, then the max GVWR for a tandem roll-off would be 56.4k. So I think that's my answer. Even if it's a GVWR of 44.8k, it's still way more than I would need.

  16. #16cuttin edge2026-06-28 20:08

    He's American, so he's talking old tons not metric. But still 11.3 metric. This is a thread from 2023

  17. #17CM19952026-06-28 20:33

    That was a spammer CE. Only saying that so your post is not an orphan with no context.

  18. #18cuttin edge2026-06-28 21:21

    Wow they are pretty complex. I always thought they just repeat what others say

  19. #19CM19952026-06-28 21:29

    They come in and post a series of drivel in several threads then embed the spam link they are being paid to do. Happens too often.