I need to purchase a flywheel housing, and flywheel for one of these engines. Would also consider a complete engine. I have a couple of complete engines, but no flywheel housings available. The current gasoline engine has an SAE 3 pattern and if one of these can be located, everything will align and bolt up pretty easily. Thanks,
I'm not sure if something off a tractor or maybe a forklift might have what you need. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to find used. The 4-236 is a very popular engine
I rebuilt an engine for a "P" series Hyster forklift and the customer defaulted so kept this engine. It is all Perkins parts internally and the reciprocating and rotating parts weight matched and balanced. It had a "Monotrol" transmission and the flywheel housing on the rear was quite an affair driving a chain and hydraulic pumps via a large crankshaft spacer hub. These items stayed with the forklift when they repowered it with a used engine leaving me with the rebuilt one. One of the other engines is a turbocharged variant but a "Stress Block" configuration so no real way to run this in a conventional flywheel housing style. It is originally from a Cat 436 TLB. The block is actually quite different in the flywheel area. The third engine is also from a forklift but it too lacks a flywheel housing. This is the original engine from the Cat R-80 forklift at the implement dealership I help out. It ran but needs rebuilt as uses oil and worn out. I'd like to install a flywheel housing, the flywheel, and the turbocharged induction system from the stress block engine onto this reman engine. Change the oil pump to the style for the turbocharged engine, and run with it. Being in a manlift eventually I'm not too concerned about the 1/2 point compression ratio difference between the natural, and turbocharged induction system. One of the guys on here is going to go through the CAV pump and injectors so this engine will be ready to go. The holdup is the flywheel housing at this time. I'm wanting to strip the sheet metal and most of the mechanicals out of the manlift this winter, sandblast everything clean, and repaint so it looks nice. Then reassemble with all new wiring and hoses. Have most everything accumulated already and now with the manlift proven, time to get with the program. I'd like to repower to the Perkins engine once all repainted. I know once done it will serve well the rest of my working time needed.
Does anybody know if the 1004 Perkins diesel engine is just an updated number system to the 4.236 series? I've read the 1000 series was the follow on to the series. Still chasing a flywheel housing in SAE #3 pattern.