i saw this the other day I'd like to get in the woods and do some clearing with those shoes on that machine. here is another as well
I would hate to drive across asphalt on a hot summer day with that!
That is one of H&K's hoes isn't it. We had a set up like that on our 365's for a Sewer project.Nice and stable when they dig in.
I know I was wishing for a set like that last year when pioneering. The triple grousers were akin to having ice skates on at times. I hate when you drage your but up a hill, then slide back down as soon as you pick the bucket up
They use those set ups for pipe line work here in the moutains of pa.
a few years ago i went to a pipe line site around the Jersey Shore area and saw 345B's with double grouser shoes but every other grouser they welded another 2-3 in grouser on it. looked awesome. they were using D8R's with winches to hold them on the steep slopes while digging. My question is does anyone have any pics of the application??
I wish our machines had something other than the normal 3 grouser tracks. We mostly work in rock and all i do is slip and slide around. Its not bad if it has been blasted really hard, but 9/10 times you end up with lots of big rock to slide on.
The Word Is Spreading. Hi, Folks. Interestinger and interestinger. For over 30 years now, Link Belt has been making what it called a 'pipeliner base' for some of its track-mounted mobile cranes for exactly the reasons that JDOFMEMI, Reuben and 9420Pullpan alluded to. For an LS98 crane, this consisted of track chain approximately equal to Cat D8 size with appropriate sprockets, idlers and rollers and LGP track shoes. The shoes were every bit as wide as the standard flat cast shoes normally found on cranes, maybe wider. Seems that someone who manufactures excavators has been peeking over their shoulder at long last. Very often, pipelines don't have flash access. The right-of-way is simply cleared without much if any cutting down of hills and all the equipment has to be able to negotiate the existing land contours. Track-mounted cranes usually have level pads made for them at their actual work sites but mostly have to traverse the same terrain as everything else, hence the 'pipeliner base'.
Dozer Tracks on Dragline Here's an old Bucyrus Erie 22B with Dozer tracks on it for cross country work . Guess it to be '50's 0r 60's vintage.
I'll tell you what, they'll climb a tree if you can get them aimed that direction. Buddy of mine in NW Idaho has a couple of 200 sized machines with brush cutters on them and he ended up putting 4 point shoulder harness's in them to help keep the operators from falling through the front glass. Its amazing what they'll climb with a set of CAT dozer pads on them
They just finished a pipe line just north east of jerseyshore/lockhaven area this winter.I will be danged if I can think of the company's name,it started with an "H". As mentioned earlier they where tethered on the hill with d8's. Pipe line operators have always made the comment,"the engineers dont put much effort into pipeline layout,they just snap a strait line on a topo map". Here in cameron county it is amazing some of the hills they have laid pipe lines on. there is one particular one I have tried to ascend on a snowmobile and never have made it. I have even started up the hill at speeds of 70+ and cant make it as it is to steep. And to think a few guys walked their machines up the hill,trenched and laid pipe as they went.Then on top of that the welders had to get in on the action, I assume they x-ray-ed the welds also. I have also heard of stories that hey have to continuously add oil because of the extreme inclines. Jobs like that are certainly for cool headed operators.
Superb Idea!! I got this really great idea with this 22b!! put a 10 feet wide U-blade in the top of the boom, it would be a quite good practice dozer could be kinda hard to get things level, if it had the power to push the blade...
I noticed the new Volvo pipelayer excavator at ConExpo had single grouser pads on it. I know Murphy Bros (pipeline outfit in IA) had welded cleats onto some of their excavators (Deere 450 and Cat 345) to go thru the backwoods in the late 90's. Seems that pipe line work is what most contractors use them for, but they seem like they would be handy for any hard digging. Probably would ride rough for basement or sewer excavation where you propel a lot. Geno
Singles also work nice in a forestry applcation.