Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Single stack or dual Stacks?

Soodude ยท 2011-11-16 15:55

Hey guys, I have a single exhaust on my T450 right now but was wondering if there are any benefits to running dual Exhaust stacks. If I go to dual stacks what would be the best way to go? brands... etc....

Replies19
  1. #1Sparkie2011-11-16 19:44

    http://www.grpipes.com/

  2. #2mitch5042011-11-16 19:47

    I hate dual stacks, they look good, but get in the way of working on everything under the cab.

  3. #3Soodude2011-11-16 19:59

    So what you trying to Say Sparkie? lol and yeah I could see where they would get in the way Mitch but if I run dual stacks can I get away with not running mufflers before the stack? Or would straight stacks be loud as all hell?

  4. #4markshr1512011-11-16 21:23

    I just installed duel 5 inch stacks on my 2000 fl60 with a 8.3 Cummings .It had a 4" to muffler then 5" , I got rid of the holy muffler and the strait stacks sound as good as any thing I have ever heard (yes I am biased ) Yes it is loud but not like a annoying motorcycle type of loud but I all so did not like the soot under my truck.I left the option open to put a muffler back in. My question is has anyone had a problem with the law?

  5. #5Sparkie2011-11-17 01:28

    grand rock is about the best in the biz for trucks. 7 inch mitred duals would look sweet on your truck

  6. #6tonka2011-11-17 07:35

    Grand rock is cheap crap, if you want decent stacks, i'd go with dynaflex... www.dynaflexproducts.com from www.4statetrucks.com

  7. #7Soodude2011-11-17 16:55

    uh oh... I think I smell a debate coming LOL

  8. #8waglecm2011-11-17 17:40

    test

  9. #9Sparkie2011-11-17 18:35

    Cheap crap? Well I doubt he wants to spend 3 grand on stacks for a work truck... Just sayin

  10. #10Soodude2011-11-17 19:38

    I like where you are going Sparkie but I don't really wanna be too cheap..... how is the stuff from grpipes? I like shiny and cheap but as long as it holds up I'm game.

  11. #11Sparkie2011-11-18 00:43

    I've honestly never heard anything bad about them. The old mans looking into them for our Columbia. also look into the Iowa 80 Truck stop's catalog: http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_category3.php?catid=EXHAUST&cart_truckType= Some people don't understand that cheap stuff looks and sounds just as good as the high dollar crap and will last just as long

  12. #12tonka2011-11-18 09:17

    Well i had a set of GR elbows on my truck and they rusted out in 2 years.... sound has nothing to do with good or bad quality, i'm sure they sound just fine. I just think Dynaflex is a heavier, stronger, better made pipe... and i'm not going to get into a pissing match with you... also try www.bigrigchromeshop.com there out of Manitowoc, Wisconsin...

  13. #13DEERE310SG2011-11-18 09:33

    Dual Stacks would look great on that truck ! Kyle

  14. #14Soodude2011-11-18 16:27

    Here's the thing tho... If I run duals, should I run a muffler before the Y pipe or could I run them straight without them being too loud? Thank you DEERE :drinkup

  15. #15tonka2011-11-18 16:58

    See i like the 6'' straight's with no muffler but you might not, some sound different than others, its all up to you you can always add a muffler before the Y pipe later....

  16. #16Sparkie2011-11-18 17:01

    who needs a muffler

  17. #17DEERE310SG2011-11-18 17:38

    If it was me I run it straight piped. I don't know how you could run them straight without them being too loud :beatsme I guess you could take some of the baffles out of the muffler then it will be a little louder. One other thing I put on the truck is train horns Kyle

  18. #18Soodude2011-11-18 19:10

    oh that reminds me deere i need to add another pic with the new grill and the dual Kw horns i put on the roof.... but i think i will run it straight piped why not but was thinking of 5 inch with the expanded 10" chamber before the mitered tips..... good or bad sounding? and of course there will be the chrome heat shields over them

  19. #19DEERE310SG2011-11-18 20:50

    I love to see a updated pic of the truck. That sounds great that truck is going to look bad ass and sound it too ! Kyle