Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Size of thumb?

stpat7 ยท 2017-07-30 15:53

I just purchased a 2007 Takeuchi 136, it came with 3 buckets, a 12in, a18in and a 24in. As I am new to this, so don't know much, what size thumb should I be trying to find to install on this machine? Should I just pick the size bucket I think will be the most used and sell the others?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2017-07-30 17:07

    What do you plan to do with it??? I can't imagine why you wouldn't want the extra buckets, but I suppose if you only did one type of job you wouldn't really need the others. Do you install a lot of sprinkler systems in AK?

  2. #2stpat72017-07-30 17:39

    Got lots of stumps, rocks and logs to move, just so new to this I don't know what to really ask. I want to put thumb on it just didn't know if there was an ideal size or not, not many sprinkler systems here, water pipes gotta be at least 8 feet down, but there's always hope. Patrick

  3. #3Ronsii2017-07-30 20:36

    You can never have too many different size buckets! It makes the machine just that much more versatile, having a thumb is also very handy when picking/placing stuff stumps included normally the thumb is no wider than the narrowest bucket but does not have to be... also you can get thumbs with extension wings which are handy for grubbing and various other things... but for the most part you will not need/want a thumb wider than ~12 inches for general work.

  4. #4stpat72017-07-31 08:18

    Thanks for the info, now I just have to find a good thumb and figure out how it all goes together.

  5. #5catman132017-07-31 23:48

    keep the buckets. you will find each has a use, and makes resale more attractive with more attachments. if you have a lot of roots and stumps to cleanup you might look into getting a brush grapple for it, i had 1 made for mine and use it alot more than i expected to.