Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sk120 mark v super won’t start

Pane · 2013-01-03 05:16

G'day My sk120 won't start. I've been using it all day with no issues at all. I turned the machine off after letting it cool for 5 mins and when I went back it didn't want to run. I turn the key to on and all functions work as they should with no issues. When you crank the engine over it fires but then dies right away. When you turn the key back to off the screen doesn't turn off and the throttle control on the motor moves back and fourth making a clicking sound, I can only get the key to turn off by jiggling the key in the barrell. The other problem is the key barrell doesn't seam to turn towards heat anymore. I'm not sure if this is related as I never need to use the heat function here. I'm getting no warnings when I try to start it so is it just a key barrel problem or could it be something else? Cheers

Replies18
  1. #1Cat_man3202013-01-03 08:13

    I guessing you should replace your ignition , what may be happening is that the fuel solenoid is open when the key is in the start mode but when you let back on the key the fuel is shut off . good luck with it .

  2. #2Pane2013-01-03 19:47

    G'day Got a new key barrel coming so ill try that first. Cheers

  3. #3Cat_man3202013-01-03 21:49

    Pane , i assume you mean that you are buying a complete new ignition with new key etc. i just wouldn't buy a part of the ignition , I would buy the complete unit .

  4. #4Delmer2013-01-03 22:50

    or just pull the cylinder and see if it works right when you start it with a screwdriver, or can you do that on this machine???

  5. #5Pane2013-01-04 06:34

    G'day Whole new assembly is what I'm getting with new keys. Cheers

  6. #6Cat_man3202013-01-04 07:23

    yes , getting a new ignition is the best idea . Just putting in the key barrel may not fix the problem . i'm guessing its the mechanism that the key barrel turns . Please let us know what happens .

  7. #7kevin37b2013-01-04 13:06

    Yes , new key switch , common problem .

  8. #8Pane2013-01-04 16:32

    G'day Well I put the new key barrel in and it hasn't changed a thing. The only difference is now I have a code that comes up but because my screen is half gone I can't read which one it is. The throttle mechanism is still moving when the key is in the on position when you turn it back to off it still keeps doing it for about 2 minutes until it finally decides to stop. Should the throttle motor be able to be moved by hand? On closer inspection it would seam that u can move the linkage freely which in turn is moving the drive into the injector pump. When u try and start the machine the linkage still moves like it was when the key is just on. Starting to think the throttle motor has brokern. Cheers

  9. #9smartbase2013-01-04 16:48

    It seems like governor motor needs an adjustment! I only have SK210 LC-6E adjustment materials: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3dpjFzkyneGVC1MOXZCYmpLeVk

  10. #10smartbase2013-01-04 16:51

    Well i had same problem and my Kobelco needed adjustment. I tried to make "A" adjustment, replaced rod dimension and then it worked fine!

  11. #11Pane2013-01-04 20:21

    G'day Ok how would it change when it's been working fine for ages. It's never played up on me ever before. It would seam that something has just let go and now won't work Cheers

  12. #12smartbase2013-01-05 09:59

    Well, mine just also happend in one day - didn´t want to start - heard clicking from governor motor -> made adjustment and now work fine. Other machine had same problem - I tried to make "A" adjustment but it didn´t get the "STEP 4" done- so I called my local dealer and asked about it. He said that if there is´t enough space to readjustment the rod then i should change rod engagement position by one tooth. So i made it and start adjustment again- that time it worked fine. In times the fuel pump worns-out and engine doesn´t get high RPM.

  13. #13Pane2013-01-06 03:00

    G'day I guess it could be the problem then. Now the problem will be reading the display cause its not really readable. Ill see what the mechanic says tomora and report back. Thanks for the help. That link makes it seam easy to do the adjustment by I still need to read the screen. Cheers

  14. #14Pane2013-01-07 20:26

    G'day So I now know that the problem is electricle. Ill have a new screen tomora so ill know exactly what code the computer is spitting out. Mechanic is telling me that 90% of problems with these machines is related to the wiring loom between the ecu and the throttle control wire. He suggests getting an auto elec to rewire the loom from the ecu to the throttle motor. Now I can do this myself but I would prefer to see a wiring diagram first, where can I find one? Cheers

  15. #15smartbase2013-01-08 07:45

    I only have SK210 wiring diagram!

  16. #16Pane2013-01-09 04:15

    G'day So it turns out it was a blown no. 20 fuse which was caused by a wire that had rubbed through. The code on the screen was "step motor" "S/pt error" Which turns out to be the throttle start point. So this is a micro switch failure. So repaired the wire and checked the others that I could aswell as the plugs. All seamed to be right so off to work it was again. Thankfully it was only that. Cheers

  17. #17smartbase2013-01-09 10:10

    Glad to know, that everything worked out well!

  18. #18Pane2013-01-10 05:58

    G'day Yeah so am I, sometimes it's the little things that can be so hard to find. Machine worked faultlessly today in 40 degree heat Cheers