I have a hydraulic leak that I believe is coming from the Swivel joint (p/n YN55V00053F1) on a Kobelco SK230 SRLC-3. I'm losing about 5gal/day, so I need to get it diagnosed and fixed, but I don't have any hoses leaking and it's nearly impossible to get down into the center where the swivel joint is located while the machine is running to try to figure out where the leak is coming from. It's as if the oil is coming from below the floor where the swivel joint bolts down to the lower frame because there is never any fresh oil above that floor, but a steady stream leaking about from under the boom pivots. My parts manual doesn't seem to show a seal on the bottom of the swivel joint that would be the obvious culprit so I wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar situation before I tear into it. Any pointers?
There will be an inspection hole with a rectangular plate somewhere near the boom ram bottom brackets, where you can inspect the thickness of the layer of grease in the slew ring. If you look in there, it may be full of your hydraulic oil and coming out through the rotary union rubber boot, maybe.
Ok thanks, I'll give that a look.
Rotary joints seals are common failure and fail over time from wear/contamination. it typically need complete seal kit replacement not individual seals. Requires removing upper structure weight from joint (jack/crane) to disassemble. Seal kits ~$200-500, labor intensive (4-8 hours)
I missed to add this
Thanks
Do share photos, if you like, i would like to save it.