Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skid Steer Burned Up

searcyfarms · 2017-10-06 10:33

Help - I have a dilemma - my skid steer burned up totally - makes me sad - I only had it a year and only used it about 8 hours, I loaned it to my neighbor and he put about 45 on it in that time so more than me. First off it was an MC110 Volvo. I know you all can rant all you want about the scat/Volvo machines but I have had nothing but stellar luck with them and the perkins engine. Easy on fuel and they have some torque and digging that wont quit. I use mine for primarily digging on the farm, moving heavy wet manure, hay, digging up trees, stumps, brush cutting with a cutter that will grind up 10 to 12" trees so it gets worked when its worked. I had been mowing 3 to 6 inch trees for about 8 hours and I was backing up and heard a pop!!! I had a front plexiglass door to keep debris off me and when the blow torch sound came I knew I was in trouble, within seconds the cab was filled with black smoke, I couldn't breathe and with the arms off the ground I couldn't get door open. I shut off engine right before I exited busting through the front door and landing on the mower out front. Blessings I am ok - now trying to find a replacement - I have no idea how much or if I will get any $$ from the ins co - however I need to replace it and am considering other machines - I need something that has some guts, I don't like using machines that when you are turning with both sticks pulled and digging hard or lifting/turning the engine bogs down or dies, that is annoying!!! So....with that being said I also do not want a track loader due to the maint costs of tracks and lack of traction in the mud. I have over the tire bar tracks and they are the only way to fly in the mud. My cousin has an ASV with rubber tracks and he cant use his where I can. I have to pull him out have the time not to mention he cant push/dig in the mud and get leverage like in can with my bar tracks. So wheeled skid steer - I don't like the JD and their weights on the back/sides I would knock those of bumping into trees or rocks, those bolts would get torn right out and then I would have other issues. Volvo are hard to find and I don't like the single arms on the new ones. I want at least 2200 lb lift. Are the 262B cat ok? that is about the only thing I have seen so far that might work - how about the new Holland 190 or is there something in the bobcat/case that are reliable and don't break down. Maybe a Gehl? I know some models have issues. I owned a Scat Track 1700C for 15 yrs and put 550 hours on it to give u an idea of the work/time I put on one. I loved the perkins power in it as well, same 86hp engine basically just not as much lift as the MC110. How about a pilot machine ( are they a night mare on reliability? ) or at least like the MC110 the hydraulic assist sticks, the 1700C was pure battle when digging, the harder you pressed into them the harder it pushed back, it would wear u out in a long day. Fire away with your recommendations - I don't want a weenie machine that breaks or lacks power and lift. Yea I know about Taks and have driven them but I don't want rubber tracks.

Replies82
  1. #1searcyfarms2017-10-06 10:35

    here is about a minute after I exited, I exited and called the fire dept then snapped the pic

  2. #2searcyfarms2017-10-06 10:36

    here are after pix

  3. #3searcyfarms2017-10-06 10:36

    one more

  4. #4searcyfarms2017-10-06 10:42

    I have run across one MC90B which is a tad smaller and has the Volvo engine in it, it says its made by yanmar is that true? it has the pilot controls e/h anyone ran one of those do they have issues ? I know the Cat engines are actually perkins but they are smaller with turbos so not sure on the power/torque they will have grunting through things. I ran a tak TL8 and a Kubota SV75-2 - I liked the TL8 controls WAAAAAY better, they were much smoother and predictable, the Kubota would slowly move into a turn and then shazamm all of a sudden it kicked in like a turbo and u were swinging right/left like some sort of delayed power band on a 2 stroke engine, not sure if it needed adjusting or that is just the nature of their pilots? I did not like that slow then sudden swing type movement. I like the slow/predictable feel of the Tak. I can run any with foot/hand controls, don't really care, I have had good luck with the foot controls on the scat/Volvo and never bothered or fatigued me running them - pilots are nice but just wondered about reliability since never owned one.

  5. #5kshansen2017-10-06 11:04

    Can't offer much advice but glad you managed to get out fast! Guessing a hyd. hose "popped" and sprayed on the exhaust.

  6. #6searcyfarms2017-10-06 11:14

    thank you, yes I am so blessed I didn't get burned or hurt other than a couple bumps n bruises - I thot for a second id try to smother fire with shirt/overalls but was afraid I would get sprayed with hot burning oil or catch myself on fire if I opened the back door so I just got away and called for help. It honestly scared me when I couldn't breath and knew I had to get out that door

  7. #7kshansen2017-10-06 11:23

    Just recalled that my son-in-law who works on ground maintenance for a college was just doing the easy job of mowing with a zero-turn-mower when a coolant hose under the seat split and sprayed his leg with hot coolant. Not exactly fun but he was lucky to only get a minor amount of burns from it. Hot oil is not anything to take a chance with especially once there is an ignition source.

  8. #892U 34062017-10-06 11:41

    Damn that sucks. Of course it decides to burn right when you're under the trees. The only skid steers I'm really familiar with are the C and D series Cats. I've played around a bit with a couple older 247B's and they seemed pretty solid. Perkins in those too IIRC.

  9. #9JS3002017-10-06 17:01

    I have a rotary cutter and that thing scares me every time I get out and it’s winding down, I be scared to death baling out in a hurry with it still turning. I put about 475hrs on a Case 450 doing the same thing you are talking about. I really like it and think it’s bullet proof. I never had any problems with power or the controls being jerky. I looked and several before I bought it and it just seemed to be the toughest built in my price range at the time. Bought a new Kubota SVL75-2 today and almost hate to sell the Case. The Kubota controls are just as you described everyone says I’ll get used to them but I’m worried about it. Check out a Case 450 or 445 I think you will like it for the work you described. The Cat 262 was my next choice but I didn’t like the cab as well.

  10. #10searcyfarms2017-10-06 17:55

    JS300 - thanks for the info - I will say the ONLY thing I liked about the Kubota was the cab - I ran it for 6 days straight and NEVER did get the hang of the controls - they brought me a TL8 and I ran it w/out complaint another week and to be honest I don't think I could ever get used to the Kubota sticks as no matter how much u idle it down, not matter what sensation u feel as soon as u move the stick it slowly engages and then transitions into a quick movement so I found my self feathering back and forth to try to compensate for the transitional movement - even if you take the stick and slam it right or left it does not instantly respond either there is still the lag/delay of moving slow then its like it realizes OH you want to move that much!!!! it is annoying to me and a big disappointment when I used it as I wanted to like it but I just didn't. the Tak controls were awesome and didn't have that sensation at all - I didn't like the cab as well on the tak, it was kinda klunky feeling to me and not as refined. I see the Kubota refinement in their tractors as well. Better than some but not all. Being more of an ag guy I guess I am not used to delay in hydraulics I control the lever/speed of the action not the machine. not sure what they do in theirs that makes them different but they sure are - I have never been in a Cat cab - are Gehl/Mustang cabs very roomy like the Volvo/Scat are? I liked the upright sitting on the tak/Kubota vs the look of falling down into the V270/2700V but maybe its just the look? The newer case have that turtle look to them also vs the older upright 1845 type cabs.

  11. #11searcyfarms2017-10-06 18:20

    hmmm just ran across a 450 case boy those are some strange looking lift cylinders above the arms - might be an issue with visibility? how are the XT series Case ?

  12. #12thepumpguysc2017-10-06 18:47

    WOW.. LUCKY MAN.. Glad your ok.. I know your main concerns are the controls & that's VERY understandable seeing THATS what you'll be doing all day.. BUT please take into consideration the engine type.. Your tier 4's will have you spending all your money on DPF fluid & the "regen" time is a killer.. You "probably" wont have a lot of regen time seeing you probably run the snot outta it.. its mostly the putt-putt guys that are complaining.. the exhaust gets sooty from getting barely over idle all day & re gens often.. Find a cab & controls you LIKE.. THEN.. find out about the engine..

  13. #13KSSS2017-10-06 19:05

    I was mulching with a CASE 465. I had the loader arms up and a hyd. line blew, dropping the loader arms in front of the door. The hydraulic oil sprayed all over the super hot engine starting it on fire. I could not get the door open. I was just about to kick my way through the door and I was able to get the arms to settle just enough to open the door. I had a fire extinguisher with me, but the damage was 15K. How new of a machine do you want and how much do you want to spend?

  14. #14searcyfarms2017-10-06 19:16

    gosh that is scary - sure glad you are ok as well - I didn't have side glass so all the smoke came in on me and swirled and I couldn't breathe - 20K range - is what I am thinking - my friend came with two extinguishers, one with foam and it didn't touch it, it was too late and too big and the spray seemed to keep feeding the fire and I had already shut the engine off so not sure why it kept going so well - I guess all that rubber hose inside and underneath hard to get it all extinguished - I definitely wouldn't get a tier 4 engine I cant afford something that new and wouldn't get that even if I could, I always buy preowned and not fond of tier4 anything

  15. #15searcyfarms2017-10-06 19:22

    regarding the engine type, I want one with Heart - one that will hang in there and give you a little more when the others have laid down - I liked that about the perkins - it would hang in there long and hard and it didn't have a turbo. I don't like the idea of these I see on here with small displacement and a turbo to get it to produce a number on a dial running wide open that turbo loses boost u are down on power - not saying I wouldn't get one with a turbo just not familiar with the grunt of many of the units other than what I ran and I cant find another Volvo currently like the one I had so that is why I am searching other opinions. Im a sizeable fella too so I don't want some cramped up cab either - I am 5'10 and 250 - im a farm fella and do farm type work mainly so that is my biggest need. Hay, trees/logs, digging holes, digging up things, and pushing while digging/turning etc....

  16. #1692U 34062017-10-06 19:54

    Thanks for giving me something to be paranoid about next time I hop in a skid steer.

  17. #17JS3002017-10-06 20:30

    The loader arms on the 450 are a little different but I haven’t had any visibility issues. All the talk about the doors not being able to open is one of the main reasons I went with the Kubota. I really like being able to raise the door up and run with it open as well. The closet Case CE dealer to me is 100 miles away and my Kubota dealer is great so I went with them. My 450 has a cab and I’ve been really close to being both locked in and out by the loader arms. Fire always worries me on these things.

  18. #18searcyfarms2017-10-06 20:52

    my neighbor was trying out skid steers a year ago ( he has money and was buying new ) I don't remember which brand he was testing but he went to get out - rolled up the door like is on the Kubota 75 that I rented and one of the wheels jumped the track and he was stuck in it, he didn't have his phone and couldn't get out under the opening and it wouldn't move no matter what he tried so he ended up having to pull the rip cord on the back window and crawl up n out that way, he said it was difficult and he is pretty agile and thin for a 54y/o guy. He said it kind of scared him to think what would have happened if he would have needed to get out quickly. He opted for a Cat with the swing open door - I broke the front glass out of the Kubota when I had it - I was cleaning up the inside of a basement - door was up/open and when I went over the walk out stub wall ( 6 inch ) concrete I went over it at an angle so I didn't have the wheelie and then drop well, somehow the door either wasn't latched up good or when I drove over the curb at an angle it popped it loose and with one arm latched and one not, it torqued the machine enough it broke the glass out when I came over the other side - scared the heck out of me and all that glass when down my neck and in my lap - got a few little cuts but nothing serious, had to undress in the lot and shake out the shards and back to work after zip tying up the cables/wiper motor grrrrrrr - not sure what I like in a door after that and my fire experience and then my neighbor having to climb out of that machine as well.

  19. #19check2017-10-06 22:54

    I had a radiator hose rubbing the top oil line to the turbo on my Cat 246 and it started spraying oil. Luckily I smelled it and shut it down it before it ended up like yours. It was food for thought.

  20. #20searcyfarms2017-10-06 23:45

    good idea to watch for that - anyone have any thoughts on a 450 vs 465 case? pros/cons ? are they descent machines?

  21. #21Welder Dave2017-10-07 00:41

    Glad you made it out. That's pretty scary. Did you figure out what caused the fire? I think I read on this site awhile ago that certain Cat skid steers were more prone to fires. For cutting like you are I wonder if it would be feasible to set up a fire suppression system on the machine? Running the cutter likely has the oil at max operating temperature.

  22. #22KSSS2017-10-07 14:55

    The 450 and 465 are very strong machines. The 465 has a lot more lift capacity, the 450 will cycle a lot faster. Both weigh around 10K, 85Hp great hyd. performance. If you can find a Series 3 machine you will get pilots and a better cab. The cab in the original 400 series is not great. The controls are servo assisted and are actually quite good. As far as HD, I don't think there is a machine built then or since then that used as much steel as they did on those.

  23. #23searcyfarms2017-10-07 20:43

    hmmm interesting - well maybe I can find something like that - I think I like the looks of the 465 better, I am not wild about that funky bucket tilt linkage on the 450 that looks like it might be in the way or when u roll something up over the top of the bucket? do they have good leverage to push/pull yourself if you get in a muddy predicament and have to push/pull yourself out? I have had to do that before and got myself out backwards and forwards by chaining to a tree and a tractor once.

  24. #24JS3002017-10-07 21:36

    I’ve done the chain to a tree thing to pull myself out with the 450 and it worked good. I have a set of OTT for the 450 and they work great in the mud. The 450 is a radial lift and the 445/465 is a vertical lift. This is reason for the difference in the loader arms.

  25. #25searcyfarms2017-10-07 21:38

    oooooooooooooooooooooh so is vertical lift better for digging/lifting or radial?

  26. #26searcyfarms2017-10-07 21:44

    ok I think I figured it out, my former skid steers have been radial lift it sounds like ,technical term for more like a loader on our tractors and yes more leverage/digging power it sounds like but takes a more powerful engine usually this why I liked mine with the bigger engine.

  27. #27JS3002017-10-07 21:49

    Yes the radial lift is like a tractor loader were the bucket moves in an arc when raised were a vertical lift the bucket moves straight up and down. It’s one of the things I wanted when I bought the Kubota. I use an auger quite a bit and also have a pipe driver. Moving back then forward to keep things going straight down gets to be a pain if your by yourself. I also think it will be better for loading and unloading hay and stacking it in the barn. I’m not sure which has more digging power. Only down side I can see to a vertical lift is the extra linkage to grease. Shouldn’t be a big deal though

  28. #28Welder Dave2017-10-07 22:31

    Vertical lift usually has a longer wheelbase as the bucket is further out when lifted. I think if you were loading heavy wet clay or something in a dump truck you'd have to be more cautious in a vertical lift. I tipped forward a few times loading wet clay with a conventional skid steer. It's a little scary but thankfully I didn't panic and managed to get the bucket dumped with it against the box on the dump truck. I think the seat bars in skid seers are a great safety feature as are the seat belts.

  29. #29searcyfarms2017-10-07 22:54

    oh yea been on my nose a few times over the years in mine - praise the lord for seat belts and bars, last weekend when running that heavy front end mower I was wishing I have a 5 point harness going over bumps with that sucker hanging out in front bout got sea sick a few times but after the fire I pretty much forgot about everything else the day handed me. blessed that my family came to rescue me in the field, the fire dept were nice and shared in my agony - dad came with the tractor to drag the burned skid steer up near the road/barn and we got the mower unhooked and dad carried it on the loader of the tractor so I could fix and get it back to the rental company. If you haven't seen a vail x series mower oh my check one out!!! hand made up in Kansas and built for stout - they loaded my 2400 lb machine with 86hp perkins pretty good - made it pull hard all day until the fire :-(

  30. #30searcyfarms2017-10-07 23:07

    I was trying to find out specs on the 465, does it have 100HD drive chains in it? how about the engine, do they have glow plugs? do all machines with aux hydraulics have a lock on position so they will run w/out holding a lever while you are using the attachment like for my mower I could lock the aux lever and it would keep spinning and my lever would got either position to reverse direction lets say if we got a post hole auger stuck, u can reverse direction and bring it right up out of the ground -

  31. #31searcyfarms2017-10-07 23:19

    oh yea and are the pilot controls e/h or something else?

  32. #32JS3002017-10-08 05:31

    My 450 has the momentary fw/rev for the aux hydraulics and also has the lock function so you don’t have to hold the button. I think there were a couple different joystick function options though. Mine also has the electric over hydraulic buttons. I believe all the Case machines in those years are EH controls. You might try Ritchie specs for more info.

  33. #33searcyfarms2017-10-08 08:59

    ok so I talked to my neighbor and his Cat 262C, he said at 340 hours the loader arm on the right side came out of its socket? he said cat admitted they have had a few machines do this but they would not cover it under wty and it cost him 4500 bucks to get it fixed. Are any of you familiar with this loader arm issue and is there a permanent fix or? I cant even imagine a loader arm coming out of its pivot what in the world? What is the difference in the 262B - C and D versions? I noticed it seems a reduction in HP?

  34. #34searcyfarms2017-10-08 09:13

    also what about the 272version? I only see a C and D version of it on machinery trader - issues with loader arms on them? or anything else notable?

  35. #35JS3002017-10-08 09:44

    I’ve never heard of a loader arm coming out of socket. A friend of mine put 4,000 hrs on a Cat 262 shearing and piling trees. He said he had zero machine problems, only attachment hydraulic hose issues which is to be expected. I have a tree and post puller and probably pulled at least 5,000 locust clearing a place we bought with the Case 450 and I always worried about the loader arms and cylinders but never had an issue.

  36. #36Swannny2017-10-08 11:56

    Sorry to hear of the total loss, but glad you weren't injured. I've had a few of the Volvo's...they are simple and tough with lots of power, but are butt heavy...drop the bucket to pick up another and it's easy to ride a wheelie on a slight incline. My suggestions - stay away from the Cat A and B series unless they have had a replacement engine. There is a guy out in Chicago are (on ebay) that sells them, and he says he sells one a day at $5 to 6k. Not the easiest to work on. I don't care for the C series at all. Don't have any experience with the D's. A Case 70xt/440, or a Gehl 6635/40 with turbo (even the 5635/40 with rear counterweight) will be very close to what you had in the Perkins...probably better, imo, due to the slight increase in auxiliary pressures and gpm flow. Case wins with visibility and serviceability over the Gehl (Gehl arms are massive and has fenders). Both have very reliable heavy-hitting-high HP engines. Getting more difficult each year to find any of these reasonably priced with low hrs because of the newer emissions ladened options.

  37. #37Swannny2017-10-08 13:02

    I'll also add that I prefer the saddled pins in the boom/bucket attachment of the case vs. the cantilevered design of the gehl. Being where you are located you will see higher prices on finding a replacement machine locally vs. the southeast or northeast US regions. There was a very low hr. Gehl 5635 with a couple attachments in your neck of the woods over the summer with an asking price of $30k. It didn't last long.

  38. #38KSSS2017-10-08 13:58

    The Chain size in the those CASE machines are 120 if that tells you how HD they are. The linkage on the 450 comes from the CASE backhoe, very fast, but rotating back away from the curl they are not as strong. I can tell you this, I have one of the 1 yard buckets from these machines and there is nothing you can put inside that bucket that will upset a 465, simply not possible unless your loading down hill (steep)into a truck. They are very stable and have way more ROC than you can displace with the 84" high capacity dirt bucket. CASE never ran EH in these machines, the 95XT-465 were servo, the Series three was pilot.

  39. #39searcyfarms2017-10-08 15:39

    maybe I am wrong but it looks like on the gehl and the 440 series case there might be an issue with running over the tire Bar Tracks ( which is what I have ) due to the design of the fenders on the gehl and the cut out area for the rear wheels on the case - the 465 and 450 look more accommodating for those type over the tire tracks?

  40. #40searcyfarms2017-10-08 15:56

    we can scratch the gehls, not going down the road of a deutz/non water cooled engine nor the 7810 man that thing looks like a beast, just too heavy, same perkins as my Volvo had but looks like a turbo whoa that would be a beast!!! I am checking on this V270 unit kinda looks good but might be a little over my $$$ range - they are much newer tho and have a yanmar power plant, I could do yanmar.

  41. #41searcyfarms2017-10-08 16:00

    again not sure of those rear slots for tracks and fenders ? not like im going to plop down and have a pnut butter sandwich for lunch and hang my feet off the fender

  42. #42JS3002017-10-08 19:59

    KSS I thought the EH and ISO refered to the joystick pattern used to machine. Learn something new everyday I guess.

  43. #43KSSS2017-10-08 20:55

    I had a set of Loegren tracks for my 465, worked fine.

  44. #44KSSS2017-10-08 21:00

    Negative Ghost Rider. EH refers to the control system, EH stands for electric over hydraulic. The movement of the joystick (regardless of the pattern) is converted from an electric impulse to hydraulic output. ISO is a pattern first brought to market by Takeuchi and later by CAT and others. The left runs the machine movement and the right controls the bucket functions. The CASE 400 series and all except the Alpha series utilize the CASE pattern or sometimes called H pattern.

  45. #45JS3002017-10-08 21:47

    Gotcha thanks for the explanation. It seems like all the machines I tried that had selectable controls had a switch that said EH or ISO so this is were my thinking came from.

  46. #46Swannny2017-10-08 22:30

    " we can scratch the gehls, not going down the road of a deutz/non water cooled engine" Huh? Crazy conclusion, imo. They are extremely reliable - they were installed in all sorts of construction equipment all around the world. The only downside compared to the Cummins, imo, is the timing belt, but a friend of mine has in excess of 7k hrs (80 hp turbo version) on his and has only changed his belt once. Tracks work just fine on the gehls with the fenders.

  47. #47searcyfarms2017-10-09 00:44

    I know I know crazy conclusion - just not sure I want to venture down the deutz road - they are small cu/in with a big turbo it looks like so maybe not as good for lugging/digging - I guess I need to drive one to get a real feel for it but we don't have a gehl dealer very close for me around here so not sure I want to go that way either. I just checked all the dealers within 200 miles and they only have 3 machines to even find one to look at and none the models I would be interested in. That not good if they are not used to having them around or dealing with them. I think I am leaning case at this point provided I can find a good used one. I might try to see if I can track down a V270 Gehl or Mustang 2700V they look similar. I see there are some case units around for me to check on - not any that are priced in my range but some to get a feel for what I am looking for. The 440/465 seem like what I am looking for although I am hearing the case cabs not as quiet as the cats - my neighbor doesn't like his Cat and is thinking about going Deere - I am going to try to talk to him more about his deere this week and maybe drive it and see what I think of it. Its a 262C - need to eliminate that if at all possible.

  48. #48Swannny2017-10-09 09:09

    The 1011 deutz with turbo is one of the best engines for lugging/digging. I know our local gehl dealer pretty well (have owned dozens of them) and I asked him his thoughts over the summer of the newer gehls compared to the older stuff....he looked at me and said "the 5635 was the best skid steer ever made". Newer stuff doesn't compare, imo. You can easily quiet the Case cabs with some sound insulation wherever you can attach it. The cat c models have nasty visibility, imo, whenever you try to hook up to an attachment (unless you are a tall dude in the seat) and also when you are unloading due to the huge cross member on the boom. Sorta the same with gehl when you are unloading a truck vs. Case...case XT and 440 has 2x the visibility out front due to a smaller cross member. One of these days i'm going to cut a nice window in the cross member of a gehl and weld it up nice and neat. Would make a world of difference.

  49. #49searcyfarms2017-10-09 09:48

    ahhhh that's great info to know - I probably would be less likely to go with the Cat just due to my neighbors opinion/experience, he isn't hard on things and I know that loader arm thing is odd not to mention he doesn't like the controls compared to his S185, something about hard to do stuff up close and I experienced that with the Kubota 75 - hes a good operator so not sure if they are EH or ? He has had it less than a year and is thinking of selling and going to a Deere - Kubota - Tak - He needs 2700lb lift due to pallets he unloads for his business. I dont think his work warrants a CTL but he is thinking about that. After looking closer at the V270/2700V Gehl/Mustang looks like they are vertical lift and I want to stay with radial. I am not a tall fella so that visibility thing would frustrate me. I got along fine with the Scat Trak, the Volvo had a bigger/heavier plate/bar across arms so it was a little worse for visibility in that regard. I know no machine is going to be perfect I just don't want to sacrifice power more than anything - nothing worse than being underpowered and being frustrated.

  50. #50searcyfarms2017-10-09 22:00

    anyone have a 440 case and have info on the aux hydraulics on them and how they function? I am looking for info on that and a 465 - id rather have a 440 but I haven't seen one for sale especially in the Series 3

  51. #51dieselfuel0072017-10-09 22:35

    i have a case 440ct and love it lots of power

  52. #52Swannny2017-10-09 22:58

    Most of the ones I've had the aux. functioned with a rocker pedal on the floor, but a couple of them had the buttons in the handle I believe. I'd rather have the rocker...less electronics to fail.

  53. #53KSSS2017-10-10 00:30

    My 440 had the switch on the control handle.

  54. #54searcyfarms2017-10-10 19:25

    yea might think about a 465 at this point if I cant find a 440, not sure they are that much different other than capacity - different controls/pin sizes in carriage/pivot arms? etc.....I liked the manual lever on my handles for the aux u pulled in for temp use and then pulled harder and it locked it either in forward or reverse direction depending on your need at the time. that was on a Volvo with sticks scat pivoted at the base of the stick both were fine and mechanical so no issues other than sticky cable.

  55. #55searcyfarms2017-10-10 19:35

    not as much bang for buck with the bobcats in the 750/300 units as for the 440/465 machines not sure I am being a fair comparison though seems like the case are a little older - anyone have any troubles with the hydraulic lines on the sides of the cylinders on the 440s, mine were not exposed like that on any I have ran - also for the little hydro lines for the quik tach on thse skid steers, they look vulnerable to things while working - anyone have experience in tearing those up ?

  56. #56searcyfarms2017-10-10 19:36

    I don't remember those being an issue on the tak tl8 or the Kubota SV75 I rented they both had the quick tach things and boy were nice not having to change things

  57. #57KSSS2017-10-10 22:43

    The 465 is a completely different animal. The ROC on the 440 is 2200 it is 3K on the 465, the 440 is radial lift and the 465 is vertical. The engines are the same, but the 465 weighs considerably more and is a much beefer machine. Both are excellent machines, all depends on what you want to do with it.

  58. #58searcyfarms2017-10-11 15:43

    hmmm kss I didn't realize the 465 is a vertical machine, do you think I would notice a big difference in it using for tree digging or digging holes in the ground or fixing holes in the ground from stumps etc..... I need to dig a ditch or two now and then for drainage. I think for loading hay and such I could get along ok, would it be a difference in loading on trailers or reaching out on a flatbed deck? how much difference is there in reach out front?

  59. #59JS3002017-10-11 17:41

    The Case machines that end in “5” in that year range are vertical lift. 445 and 465 are vertical, 440 and 450 are radial. You can tell by the difference in the loader arms also. The newer machines are SV/TV for vertical or SR/TR for radial. I don’t see where it would make a difference in digging but I’m not expert on it. I can already tell after only 6 hours of running the new Kubota I’m going to like the vertical lift better. I guess it all depends on what you are doing with it. If you poke around in Ritchiespecs.com the deminsions and specs are there.

  60. #60searcyfarms2017-10-11 18:20

    interesting - I have only owned radial - I guess I didn't mind the TL8 and SV75 I rented - to be honest I never even really noticed when I was working with them - I was doing demo on a house that burned with them and loading dumpsters and moving logs - it was a log house, I rented a Volvo PC225 or something like that, it was a Cadillac man I wish I had one of those things and work for it, I absolutely fell in love with it - I could run with the front door open and hardly even hear it - it was soo quiet, I listened to the radio while working with the front door open and loved every minute of it !! I would HIGHLY recommend Volvo excavators in that size man it was a beast!!!

  61. #61searcyfarms2017-10-12 11:36

    so question of the day, would you rather have a 450 or 465? why - I am concerned about the extra linkage on the 450 and view obstruction - if anyone has had either, what are your thoughts - I have ruled out a bobcat, look more difficult to work on. does the dirt stay out of these fairly well with the enclosed cab w/heat and A/C. any other suggestions on machines for farm use other than the Case 450/465 I am at a budget of 25K.

  62. #62searcyfarms2017-10-12 11:57

    any thoughts on an S750 bobcat - known issues = pros/cons

  63. #63searcyfarms2017-10-12 12:13

    I just read some info on 450/465 and loader arm play and hitting cab - is that a common problem? or just someone venting?

  64. #64KSSS2017-10-12 19:41

    I have had several 465/95XT and never hit the cab with the loader arms.

  65. #65searcyfarms2017-10-12 22:38

    that is great news!!! - sounds like they would be the way to go then for me

  66. #66JS3002017-10-12 23:52

    The loader arms on the 450 do have some play in them but mine have never came close to hitting the cab. I really don’t notice any obstruction out the side glass. Mine has the metal/glass door instead of the all lexan door and the bottom has gotten bent and lets some dirt and dust in. Theres an aftermarket door available on ebay that looks really nice for the money. I would get a series3 if you can find one. They are hard to come by though. They seem to have better cabs.

  67. #67searcyfarms2017-10-12 23:57

    this looks like a descent deal if I wasn't half way across the country lol - https://billings.craigslist.org/hvd/d/2012-bobcat-s750-enclosed-cab/6331910079.html

  68. #68searcyfarms2017-10-12 23:59

    is there much difference in the series 3 units? I cant seem to find but one of them -

  69. #69Swannny2017-10-13 14:20

    I'd be super careful about machines like that particular bobcat s750 being all painted up at only 1k hours. Who knows what the heck it looked like pre-paint, and if they even prepped it well before paint. Most places that flip don't prep well at all. After a year they look like one big paint flake, with rust stains appearing underneath/through the white. This looked like a cool deal for you, but you never know just by pics. Risky. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-70xt-Skid-Loader-/162704571789?hash=item25e1f2bd8d:g:GZcAAOSwozRZ2nGb I had a 90xt (450) with 500 hrs on it and the linkage had a ton of horizontal slop in it, though the pins were tight. Shimmed it out and it was much better, but they do tend to wear. That machine was a big snortin bull. You'd probably enjoy one seeing what you want to do with it. Finding one with low hrs. is very difficult, finding the 450 in series III (better) is like finding a needle in a haystack. You'll pay a premium.

  70. #70searcyfarms2017-10-13 15:30

    well I just went and sat in a s250 and a s650 bobcat - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! people actually buy and run those? I am 5'11 on a good day 250lbs and the cabs are so small. How in the world could a guy sit in that for 8 to 10 hours and even get out. If I had a leg cramp I would be in some serious trouble!!!! I noticed the TL8 and SV75 were smaller when I rented those and they are track machines but goodness I could never sit in one of the S250/S650 units that long, I was ready to get out and only sat in it for 10 mins talking to the salesman. Definitely not going to buy one of those - which brings me to a Case 465 - I have ruled out a 450 period, too many things I do not like about them physically. Are the 465 case as cramped up like the bobcat, if so you can forget it on one of those as well. I sometimes spend all day in mine only stopping for water and eating my packed lunch - yes 10 hours or more - I did talk to the rental counter guy who was 6'2" and he said there was no way he could run one all day, he gets by around the yard but that's it - they both admitted until you get into one of the newer units the cabs are crap and the A/C will barely keep you cool - basically maybe keep from sweating is about it, the newer 650s with the vents coming about above you will do a better job. Does a Case 465 A/C keep you cool or is it just marginal? Are the vents above or along side? The S250 blow at your butt and knee. So if the Case 465 is the same size I guess I will have to go look at other options - i like to be comfortable not stuffed in a can. any thoughts?

  71. #71JS3002017-10-13 15:49

    I read a construction article several years ago and it said Skid Steers are built for the average size road construction worker....5’8” and 165 pounds. Bobcats and Caterpillar have the most uncomfortable and hardest to get in and out of cabs to me.

  72. #72searcyfarms2017-10-13 16:33

    well then Cat is out too then - I might have to take a look at mustang/gehl maybe they are bigger - maybe the case is bigger just gotta find one to sit in dealers don't have any used stuff other than the latests models a yr or two old.

  73. #73Swannny2017-10-14 08:13

    Here's an 85xt. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-85xt-S...339970?hash=item3af3ea9402:g:ns8AAOSwVgtZ3AhC

  74. #74searcyfarms2017-10-14 13:49

    I went and sat in a 450 today - it was sold but still on the lot - it was better than the bobcat but compared to the scat trak/Volvo they are not as roomy. I thot the throw on the sticks forward/back was very long on the 450 - I would have to play with seat and controls to see if I could get comfortable. - looks like the 465 cabs in pix are the same exterior wise - did they change the size in the series 3 at all I wouldn't want one any smaller.

  75. #75howsz2017-12-28 21:13

    what ever skid steer you are on, always know the ways out if the bad stuff happens. is there a manual lever that lets you work the hyd levers to drop the boom down if engine stops or a hammer to shatter the glass. maybe a emergency rip strip to rip the cord seal out that holds like a rear window glass in place then can knock it out easier, and maybe crawl out, bad thing - usually the fire is back by the engine.

  76. #76KSSS2017-12-29 16:58

    The cab on the 450 and 465 are the same. The AC in the 465 is marginal, might be better in a Series 3. The cab itself is not any different size in the series 3 just better laid out and the machine is run by pilots instead of servo controls. The biggest issue with the cab in the 400 series is the width of the cab. It is a little narrow.

  77. #77suladas2017-12-30 01:24

    I’m 6’5” and 290 and run a case 430 and 75xt. The 430 is narrower and is a bit annoying for leg room, also find the controls kind of low but it’s still ok to be in all day. Ac and heat is great. The Xt has more room, but I don’t like the controls nearly as much not as precise and take more effort, and being older and lacking creature comforts like ac, and radio make me overall prefer the 430. They may seem small at first but I find them workable. I’ve rented a bobcat s70 (36” wide only) and once I managed to get in the cab, it wasn’t too bad. Funny enough, the roomiest skidsteer I’ve ran was a terex pt-30. It had plenty of leg and head room despite being a small 48” machine. Boggles the mind how a 6’ wide Machine they can’t make the cab have even the same amount of room.

  78. #78walkerv2017-12-30 04:43

    pumpguysc we have a brand new 279D rubber track machine it has regen but no def fluid 99 hp and lower is exempt from that is my understanding , cat also quit using perkins in them mine has a kubota engine .

  79. #79KSSS2017-12-30 12:00

    You may want to check your spec sheet, or go kick your salesman for lying to you. The 279D is not a 99hp machine, try 75 hp. If it were a 299 then yes it would have 99 hp and it would run DEF and have a DPF on top of that.

  80. #80walkerv2017-12-30 14:25

    I know my machine is not 99 hp I was trying to state that under 99 hp on equipment I believe are exempt from the def . I may be wrong I saw it somewhere when I was reading and researching something emission related they still have dpf though

  81. #81BC873G2017-12-30 14:57

    In general, most diesel engines under 75hp have met the emission standard using upgrades that don't require DEF or other more complex methods.

  82. #82KSSS2017-12-31 00:29

    yes it is under 75 hp. I miss read your post my bad. Which is why you are seeing Backhoes and skid steers being made in much greater abundance under the 75 hp threshold. Kinda sucks because there are fewer machines over the 75 hp limit. CAT only makes the 299 and 272 that over that now.