Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skid steer tires?

thebig450es ยท 2010-01-19 22:10

What tires do you recommend for a 843? I see the severe duty bobcat tires. What sites do you recommend to buy tires. Thanks

Replies27
  1. #1smokey12010-01-20 01:54

    12x16.5, 10 ply galaxy beefy baby or solidex, about $125.00 each. if you shop. Put the full set of 4 on together

  2. #2wilddanz712010-01-20 06:54

    Were did you find them for $125 ? thanks DAN

  3. #3thebig450es2010-01-20 10:08

    Yeah, i am planning on buying a set of 4 and keeping the ones for spares. Id like to buy good quality ones, but not ones that cost 500 a tire I found these, but need more info on them: Carlisle Ultra Guard Severe Duty Rim Guard 12-16.5 12ply

  4. #4nobull12010-01-20 12:34

    Looks like a beefy tire. What is one of those worth?

  5. #5wilddanz712010-01-20 15:00

    Yea how much for those puppys

  6. #6thebig450es2010-01-20 15:31

    i havent found a price for them yet. I just got back from a equipment place and wow the prices they want, $250 a tire for carlisle HD, add $300 a tire for foam or $75 a tire to be alcohol filled. And for a bullman solid tire 3200 for all 4.

  7. #7Greg Ellis2010-01-20 21:02

    On ebay you can find them for around $200 a tire though I don't feel that is a real good deal either. Last set I bought from a equipment company here in Indiana was $189 each for 12 ply about a year and half ago. Come spring I'm going to check with them for another set. Sure wish I could find some cheaper too.

  8. #8thebig450es2010-01-20 21:10

    I found the $124 12x16.5 12 ply tire on ebay, has anyone had experience with those?

  9. #9Willis Bushogin2010-01-20 21:44

    tires I bought my tires from my local heavy duty truck tire shop. They usually have to order them. Sorry I dont remember what I paid for them, this was a few years ago and since them I bought a track machine. But knowing me, this was the cheapest tires I could find Good Luck

  10. #10Greg Ellis2010-01-20 21:57

    What the listing? Any brand name?

  11. #11barklee2010-01-20 23:22

    whatever you buy get them foam filled! Ride is a little rougher but it is worth it in the long run. Plus you can run them untill the rubber falls off

  12. #12thebig450es2010-01-20 23:27

    whats the going rate for foam, the place i went to wants 300 a tire Just search on ebay skid steer tire and the listing comes up

  13. #13CM19952010-01-20 23:36

    The last tires I had foamed were the front tires for a 420D, which are similar in size to skid tires. It was over a year ago and I think I paid $150 per tire. Several years ago I had the tires foamed on my Gradall telehandler and it was around $300 per but that is a much bigger tire than a skid.

  14. #14thebig450es2010-01-20 23:47

    I can see $150 filling the tires, any foams a do it yourself type?

  15. #15CRAFT2010-01-21 01:31

    I've been reading about this foaming the tires thing for a while now. Gonna have to have a serious look at doing this ....... the last skid I had I retired the 1st set with about 50% left ....Damn biased plys once they get cut up the cords begin to rott ..... anyone out there have any experience with Michelin radials ? ... as I understand it they are the only manufacturer of radials. ...... the profile looks exactly like the Bobcat severe duty's, and the tread is deeper too, also they can run less air pressure and maintain the same carrying cap plus a better ride and traction ?? ...so they say

  16. #16thebig450es2010-01-21 15:26

    Well those carlisle ultra guards are $295 a tire

  17. #17nobull12010-01-21 19:09

    As nice as they look I think I will stay with my 8 ply for less than half that much money. Although with all that tread depth and 12 ply maybe they would last more than twice as long. Who knows:beatsme

  18. #18thebig450es2010-01-21 22:59

    I found 12plys for 165 shipped on ebay. Didn't get a make or model which concerns me...could be really cheaply made. I could almost by 2 set for one set of ultra guards

  19. #19brad20502010-01-23 22:11

    I'd be interested in DIY foam too.

  20. #20bobcatmechanic2010-01-23 22:23

    the severe duty tires like the bobcat type severe duty dont clean out in the mud they tend to ball up and then you have a slick and your really stuck imo. the foam filled tires do ride ruffer but you can also run over thorns nails and rebar and keep running without a flat. they also add about 200 pounds a tire to the machine. If you catch them soon enough before you get to the cords you can have them recapped and run them again i think you can run them a couple times recapping until you have to buy new tires and have them foamed again

  21. #21smokey12010-01-24 00:22

    Big 450, if you now own the 1983 843, Why would you want to spend all that cash on the best tires on the market. This is surly not a machine that is going out to work 8 hours a day,You can get a good set of china made tires, that are the same as the carliles, that are also made in China, Ebay there are sites that will deliver you 4 nice tires for $500.00, and if you treat them right they will last you any where from 800 to 1500 hours. If I remember right the tires you had on that machine in the picture looked fine enough to keep for a while. At least till you make sure the machine is working properly. If your just a home owner or small farmer, you will probably run the machine for years without a flat. Bad turns and pushing the machines to hard usualy pop the tires off the rim and that the start of tire troubles. Anyway If I were you I would hold off on tires, use what you have and waite for a good buy to pop up, Just keep an eye on ebay and craigs list . Good luck

  22. #22Greg Ellis2010-01-24 17:35

    Cheap set is really cheap I went that cheap route less than two years ago on our Case 1845. Bought 4 new china tires from ebay and they were 12 ply tires. Less than 300 hours and they are 70% wore out and the cords are rotting. Did not realize tires could wear so quick. They had some really deep good looking tread to start. Though 12 ply would be a tough tire and was tough to pop up on wheels but just didn't last very long. Guess You get what you pay for.

  23. #23barklee2010-01-24 18:20

    Can we PLEASE stop buying EVERYTHING from China! No offense but i want my kids to have a job someday. If you are brand consious you will find it nearly impossible to stay away from China made crap. I dont know about you but that is scary. Not that everything made in China is crap but WE here in the USA can still manufacture quality products. To me its worth a few more dollars to keep jobs here

  24. #24Greg Ellis2010-01-24 18:41

    I think most of would like to stay away from buying china But the bottom line is the cost. Cost makes such a differece and when china tires are half the cost. Yes I wish I had bought American tires. Got what I paid for. Now I need to buy tires again. Problem is putting out the $1200 for a good set during a time when money is pretty tight. Want to play -- Have to Pay

  25. #25barklee2010-01-24 18:54

    I know you have to choose your battles with the imports. Times are tight right now. I find myself doing the same thing. I have just become consious of trying to buy american if i can

  26. #26thebig450es2010-01-24 19:13

    I think in the long run , it will be the same price. 2 sets of cheap tires to 1 set of high quality.

  27. #27Superman2010-04-04 19:48

    I bought the set from ebay.. 320.00 for 4 of them shipped... Im very happy with them so far ( 60hrs)