Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL150 Keeps Stalling

Makoshark · 2010-01-20 15:25

First, I'm new to this site and have to say this is the best heavy equipment forum I've seen as far as information and diversity. A great site. I have searched the forum for an answer and solution to my Takeuchi tl150 problem but can't seem to find anything. It's an 07' with about 950 hours. Additionally I have the tl150 shop manual (798 pages) and can't locate a troubleshooting subject related to this. I've tried to figure this out but need some help. The problem is my 150 keeps stalling out (engine shuts down with the oil light and coolant light both coming on) after running it about 30-45 minutes. It will sometimes crank up for a few seconds afterward but shuts down again the same way with both lights coming on. It will have to sit and cool down before running again. Oil level is good and just changed out, and the coolant level is exactly where it should be. Other than shutting down after 30-45 minutes everything else is working great. I'm hoping this is something fairly simple. Obviously something is telling the engine to shut down before possible damage occurs. I just need to find out what sensor, relay, etc. is bad. Could it be one of the following needing replacement? 1) Coolant temperature sensor connected to radiator hose 2) Bad thermostat not opening? The tl150 is in a remote area on a ranch and it would be a pain to have to haul it into a shop. I'm hoping I can do the repair myself. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies37
  1. #1Goose2010-01-20 19:54

    The most comman problem with these symptom is the water level sensor is shutting the machine down. Look in the radiator hoses for a piece of pipe they have spliced into the hose that has the sending unit in it. Some of the mahine have it on the uppper hose and some on the lower hose. The sender ground out the wire when it is submerged in coolant and send a ground signal back to the controler. If the sender does not send the ground signal back the machine will shutdown and the oil/water light will be on. If the sender is in the upper hose make sure the radiator and overflow tank are full and that the sender is not in a air pocket in the hose. Some of the hoses have an arch in them and the high spot is higher than the top tank of the radiator and the air will get trapped there. Just for testing the unit you can ground out the sender and see if it continues to run. The new production machines do not have the engine shutdown system.

  2. #2bill onthehill2010-01-20 19:56

    Several things to consider. Could be a blockage in the fuel line or filters. Could be a shutoff solenoid going bad. Is the temp steady or does it go up right before shutdown? Have you checked for voltage to the shutoff solenoid when this happens. You could have a relay or something heating up killing power to the solenoid.

  3. #3sammy_132010-01-25 19:12

    Hi. I am new to the site so i cant post a new thread yet. I took on a job of replacing the head gasket in a Takeuchi TL150 16 valve. I have been looking all over the internet on how to go about doing this. If anybody knows or knows where i can go look please let me know.

  4. #4bpogue2010-01-31 19:55

    Possible cause for your problem I had the same problem with my TL150. The oil pressure and water temp sensors use the same warning light and either will eventually shut it down. In my case I could find no problems with oil pressure or water temperature. I bypassed both sensors and it still did it. I eventually started tracing wires and found a partially shorted wire was intermittently triggering the sensor. Easy fix.

  5. #5Makoshark2010-02-01 10:56

    Do you remember what specific wire was shorting out, and where it was? Because this seems to be a fairly common problem with the TL150 i'm thinking the wire short may be consistently the same wire possibly due to a flaw in design. I understand this shut down sensor(s) has been eliminated on the new Takeuchi's.

  6. #6bpogue2010-02-01 19:57

    I will lift the cab and find it in the next couple days. I know I had to take part of the gray panel on the right side apart (where the gauges are) and replace the wire from there to a splice point near the engine.

  7. #7bpogue2010-02-03 20:29

    I lifted the canopy today and checked it out. The wire that I had shorted out was a green wire the a black tracer. It runs from the gauge panel, down under the canopy, and eventually goes to what I believe is the oil pressure sending unit. It is a screw in sensor that is on the side of the engine, on your right if under the canopy looking toward the rear. There is a metal line about 5/8" od coming out right next to the sensor. The wire is the same color throughout. I just spliced and replaced the wire from under the gauge cluster all the way to the sending unit and have had no issues since. I never actually found the bad spot in the wire.

  8. #8gatorguy2010-02-17 23:21

    I hope you have the issue all straightened out by now. Every couple months I have the same problem except mine is immediatly upon startup. I simply add coolant and bump around a little and i'm good to go again. All it is in my case is an air pocket forms around the sensor.

  9. #9takeuchi19752012-03-19 09:29

    I too am new to this site but am thankful i found it. I recently traded a T300 for a Tak tl150 (not sure if this was a wise idea yet) and on the second day of having the tl it started acting like stated in the first post of this thread. Just wondering if you came to a solution or solved the problem and not even sure any of ya'll are still on this forum but if so I could use any assistance in locating the problem since i'm very unfamiliar with TAK. Thanks in advance!

  10. #10KSSS2012-03-19 10:49

    These machines are durable mechanically but they certainly have issues with the electronics. My TK excavator has some of these issues as well.

  11. #11bpogue2012-03-22 21:53

    If the warning light is coming on, you will need to determine if you have a wiring issue, or a real problem causing the sensor to properly shut down the machine. I would start with the sensors themselves. Try to isolate them from the control circuit and see if it still shuts down. If it still shuts down, then start tracing the wiring inch by inch until you find the problem.

  12. #12rdfloyd2012-06-24 22:44

    Hey Makoshark, I know this is an old post but one that I've went back to a couple of times trying to resolve an issue with my TL150. Mine was stalling once it got warm. I tried everything else in this post and a few other things. Turns out my problem was a clogged Hydraulic Line Filter. It is located under the seat on the drivers side (right side). It looks like a silver can and it has two hydraulic hoses coming out of it. The filter is part number Takeuchi 1551101001. You can use a Baldwin PT8425, Fram C8525, In-Line Filters FBWPT8425, FBW-PT8425, John Deere AT204010, Komatsu 23W6024140, Takeuchi 15511-01001. They are all the same filter. Anyway. Mine apparently had never been changed. The hydraulics would heat up. There is a hydraulic temperature sensor on the unit. When the hydraulic temperature got so high... The machine would shut down. I get the filter in tomorrow. I'll let you know if that clears up the issue. Thanks for all the input though and I appreciate the help. RD Floyd

  13. #13Digger Dan2012-12-03 19:52

    And did it work for you Floyd??

  14. #14NCPIPELINE2012-12-04 13:34

    Had this happen before was the hydraulic temperature sensor.

  15. #15rdfloyd2012-12-16 16:47

    You aren't going to believe this and neither did I... But... It turns out the majority of my problem was related to air flow. I cleaned and replaced the inner and outer element but I had a damaged outer cover that would not let the air in via that little nipple intake at the bottom of the cover. I replaced the filter housing and the machine began working perfectly. Go figure.

  16. #16stumpjumper832012-12-16 17:20

    I have a gehl ctl 70, which is a tak 140, 07 a little over a grand in hours. I fixed mine by addind water to the radiator, not to the overflow tank.

  17. #17humblyhooked2013-01-24 21:42

    Takeuchi TL150 Hi My 150 keeps shutting down and the oil light is flashing. I can't find what the gauges stand for at the instrument panel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

  18. #18phil_w2013-01-25 17:11

    I'm not allowed to post attachments so I'll quote from the owner manual. The first lamp is the engine emergency lamp. " The lamp flashes and an alarm is sounded if the engine oil pressure or coolant level in the radiator drops or the the coolant temp rises abnormally while the engine is running. After approx. 5 seconds the engine stops automatically. The 3rd lamp is a combined oil pressue/coolant level warning lamp. " The lamp flashes and an alarm is sounded if the lubricant oil pressure or coolant level in the radiator drops abnormally while the engine is running " Hope this helps

  19. #19humblyhooked2013-01-26 08:14

    Thanks I don't have the owners manual. What are the other display images on the panel and what they mean I know the bottom 2 [glow plug and 2 speed]. I heard a very silent beeping as the machine was running and the hydraulic light flashing. The problem that I have been having is that the machine is cutting out and won't restart or starting very hard which it never use to do.

  20. #20phil_w2013-01-26 16:43

    From top to bottom they are Engine Emergency Lamp Battery Charge Warning Lamp Engine OIL Pressure/Coolant Level Warning Lamp Coolant Temperature Warning Lamp Air Cleaner Warning Lamp Line Filter Warning Lamp Glow Lamp Travel Speed Lamp If you like send me your email address and I can email you the complete manual. My email is [email protected]

  21. #21phil_w2013-02-11 07:47

    Any Luck ? Did you find the fault ? Phil

  22. #22humblyhooked2013-02-13 20:51

    no longer down and under Phil Sorry for not responding sooner but among other things we got a couple feet of snow. It was the cooling system sensor. These are great machines but I have some Gehls that are older but much easier to work on. Thanks again Todd

  23. #23septicinstaller2013-08-24 08:17

    change the fuel filter and clean the air filter. I had the same problem and that did the trick

  24. #24Digdeep2013-08-24 09:23

    Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure you noticed, but the last post on this thread was six months ago so I hope he got it running by now.

  25. #25cartzblown94z2013-08-25 15:52

    I ended up plugging in the bypass for the sensors on the harness on the back door I check my fluids everytime I use the machine and every so often the light will flash but it won't shut the machine off anymore

  26. #26humblyhooked2013-10-05 05:40

    The last time I had a problem I came here and was fixed [I had bought a TL150 used and had bypassed the coolant sensor] but also had an issue with the relay where I read to bang the cover and that has worked. How do you find how to plug in the bypass for the sensors on the harness on the back door? As always I am grateful for the insights that this community of machine enthusiasts has provided.

  27. #27cartzblown94z2013-10-06 09:51

    There should be 2 connectors along the bottom of the back door, at least on my 130. They run with the fuel lines. There's a blue and a yellow that are unplugged. The yellow should be the one you want to plug in. It bypasses those alarms

  28. #28humblyhooked2013-10-09 05:58

    Thanks but mine isn't like that. [2007] I had just bought a 2nd machine and like the first [2008] had some issues with the coolant level sensor. All is well now.

  29. #29mkcrossbones2015-07-12 21:04

    Jusr found this post. I am having trouble with the engin alarming out with the engin/coolent ligth flashing. Has nothing to do with tempter, if I start the machine and start moving it it will stay running. Seams like a loose connection, not sure where to start looking.

  30. #30Swannny2015-07-13 08:02

    did you try grounding out the wire that goes to the sensor on the top radiator hose? If that works, your coolant level is low.

  31. #31antonio762015-08-05 01:01

    my TL150 does this as well.I notice it does it mostly when it is cold going up hill.it doesnt do it all the time either.thoughts??!!

  32. #32GaryHoff2015-08-05 01:08

    maybe make a new thread, as this one started long time ago..................... Read the first reply, the coolant level sender in the upper rad hose is usually the problem ( the sensor is too high, and sees air before you are actually low on coolant)

  33. #33antonio762015-08-30 12:26

    I thought about making a new thread,but since this one already exists I didnt want a bunch of topics all the same!!! I was also told it could be the fuel filter! thanks Gary,I will re-read everything!

  34. #34515moto2018-10-21 09:01

    I'm having the same problem described above with our TB153FR excavator. It uses the Yanmar 4TNV88 engine I'm gonna go in and replace the oil press, water temp sensor, and start stop solenoid, just because I can find the parts and their fairly cheap. I cannot find the coolant level sensor anywhere, if that's what its even called. this picture is what I'm looking for. Can anyone here help thanks

  35. #35515moto2018-10-28 20:20

    A couple of resolutions here. The sensor part number for my picture is 1700100046. With the wire separated from the sensor the machine will start and run for a short time, then die. Lighting the water and oil light at the indicator panel as the engine shuts down. Grounding the bare wire to the block resolved the problem, Until I can find a replacement. Another problem we had was with the fuel shut off solenoid. Part number 119233-77932 The symptom was also start, run for a few seconds then die. This is an easy part to test. Removing the solenoid from the injector pump the motor would run, but not shut down. the plunger stays retracted during normal operation, while the engine is running. the plunger releases when the key is turned off, and shuts down the engine

  36. #36Rsi2024-04-28 17:44

    the coolant sensor can be in the upper or lower coolant hose between the radiator and the engine . There are two coolant temp sensors one on each side of the thermostat housing . They go to a different warning light as well as the hydraulic filter and air filter each have their own lights . The temp sensor is a ground normally and the oil pressure is lack of ground in the normal operation condition. Simple continuity test from ground to the level sensor , the oil pressure needs to be done at last with the engine cranking over or running for it to open . You could pull off the oil pressure sensor and ground the level sensor to see the light goes off , as a quick test . Mine on a 2005 ended up being a wiring harness short , the oil pressure sensor line green wire with black tracer was shorted to ground . You can ohm that out to ground with a meter . No idea where it was tried tracking it but not worth ripping the harness apart to me . Jumped it from the console to the oil pressure sensor . My level detector was on the lower hose so I don’t see what good that was doing me anyway .

  37. #37Rsi2024-04-28 17:50

    Here’s the circuit