Been reading some of the threads on different attachments everyone is running. One that I could put to use that doesn't seem to get mentioned is a vibratory roller attachment. I seem to be doing quite a few road base/crusher dust drive ways, trails etc. I usually end up renting a 1K lbs plate or rent/hire a vibratory roller. Does anyone run one? Wondering as to your thoughts on these units. Are they worth it? Some of the brands seem to advertise a pretty decent specs in terms of compaction ability.
I had one years ago, it was a John Deere model, but I believe it was the same as a Bradco/Paladen, the operators manual on it was vague at best, it did do a good job compacting, but the I believe the seals failed, causing bearings to fail,and that ruined the exciter shaft. I took it apart and I took it to a machine shop, they rebuilt the exciter shaft and I put it back together and sent it down the road. I think I probably only put 10 hours on it at most before I had issues. I checked the oil for the bearings every time before I used it, the problem is when the seals fail the oil leaks to the inside of the drum so you have no idea the seals have failed. I really wanted to look into a plate compactor for the skid steer, because I think you can remove it from the wider skid steer plate and use on an excavator as well, but I’m not positive about that. I ended up finding a smaller Wacker RD 11 that works fine for what I do, but it just requires bring two pieces of equipment to one job…
Have a bobcat roller that broke the motor shaft in less than 50 hours, replaced motor (expensive $1600) and is leaking out of front seal in less than 10 hours. It works good but not happy with problems.
These problems seem common. I have considered them before as well but they don't sound like they hold up. I researched them and I think MBW makes one of the best models https://www.mbw.com/products/compac...eel-attachments/skid-steer-roller-attachments Last time I checked they were around 12K, may be more now. I wanted it so I didn't have to hump a twin drum around all the time but that is a lot of money. Also Allied made a large plate compactor attachment that went on the front of a skid steer that looks interesting as well.
Thx. to everyone for your thoughts on this. Sounds like this attachment could be a problem child. Would come in so handy! Probably why you don't see a lot of them around.
We have the caterpillar cv18b have had it for 5 years now and have not had a problem yet. We run it on our 299d2, use it for compacting building pads and base rock on roads. We get 95% plus compaction on our building pads. Saves us from taking another piece of equipment to the jobs. Was a good purchase, they are up there on price.
Bought a Bobcat brand back in the early 2000's. It worked well for the first 30-40 hrs compacting heavy clay gravel mix then the bearings went out. Replaced the bearings for $1200 parts only and ran another 30-40 hrs. The 3rd time the bearings went out we tried some aftermarket and they didn't last an hour. Since buying trench rollers we have no reason for a skid steer roller anymore. For what we do and our soils a trench roller works great for compaction jobs that doesn't warrant bringing in our 84" padfoot. You can pick up a good used trench roller at auction for $5-7K. I have a Wacker I bought several years ago from Sunbelt for $2800 that is still rolling today for example. The Bobcat roller is sitting partially dismantled at our yard - it's for sale cheap...