Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skid Steer winter rental prices

Sk187 ยท 2016-11-26 21:14

I was renting a nice wheeled 70hp wheeled skid steer for $800 a moth with a 5 moth agreement. The dealer has since sold the wheeled machine and is not going to replace it. Everyone I have checked with is coming in at around $2000 a month with 5 month agreement for a winter rental. Just wondering what everyone else is pay for winter rental on a skid steer. Side note: the original dealer will still rent me a tracked Takeuchi for the same $800 a month rate but they are awful in winter and I don't really want to buy a set of winter tracks for a rental.

Replies8
  1. #1thrashingcows2016-11-28 02:11

    Man that sucks...hate it when they capitalize on the seasons like that.

  2. #2Jeepwalker2016-11-28 09:03

    Wait, did they sell that SAME machine you were looking to purchase? Dang!

  3. #3Rentalstop2016-11-28 21:08

    Typical spring, summer, fall rates for a 6000 lb machine in Central Ohio are right around $1500/month. Winter rates are $900-1000/month with a minimum three month commitment. We would rather rent for less than have them sitting. But it's rough leaving them on the snow/salt covered lots. Some guys even store them in a shipping container with their salt. Northern states are rumored to charge more since they have a higher demand. YMMVi

  4. #4movindirt2016-11-28 21:38

    You're looking at $1,600 a month for the same size here in central IL, $800 a month was a deal! I wonder if you could just buy a machine, $800 a month is a payment.

  5. #5Zrock2016-12-14 22:46

    I have run a tracked machine in winter with both types of tracks. It's just like anything once u get used to it you don't even notice the difference. Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  6. #6Parts2016-12-15 11:00

    Around here it would be the same. Approximately $2000 a month to rent for a good 60 horse machine (unless I am remembering wrong). Purchase with cash down can be had for way less a month. Of course an even better bet is a good clean used machine for $10K+

  7. #7Bill Smith2016-12-16 07:33

    Take a machine brand new for $70.000 all tax's in would run you about $ 1500.00 a month . I bought my 450 bobcat for about $40.000 for 48 months no intrest . That is $ 833.00 a month . Keep in mind that is Canadian . I probably paid 20% more than you would in the US . I can only compare with this smaller machine . Rent it out yourself in the summer you will recover some of the expence . Rentals are like Casinos , they don't make money on losers

  8. #8Sk1872016-12-24 18:32

    Thanks for the replies. Just a follow up: I bought a Terex tsr80 wheeled machine with under 1000 hrs. Works great, same as a Takeuchi (both made by Terex).