We have an old skidder (can't even find the brand that it is on it). There are some numbers but not a name. Changed the oil and now the free spool does not seem to be working. Is there a certain kind / weight of oil that the free spool needs that I am not aware of?
Gonna need a little more info..... anything at all on the winch? and when you say changed the oil, the gear oil in the winch, the fluid in the control unit, or? Some winches have a little pump that uses the oil to pressurize the controls, could have lost it's prime or can't suck oil if you used something too heavy, but I'm just guessing until we figure out what you have there.
OK - I am helping my husband so I am trying to remember but . . .I would say the gear oil in the winch. He took it out and when it didn't work (had to attach the winch to a tree to get it to come out) he put the old oil back in and it works better than it did. He is thinking that maybe the oil he put in was not heavy enough? (not sure what kind he put in.) There are numbers and letters on the winch. not sure if they will help in describing what kind of machine - winch it is.
Any letters or numbers might help, what is on the winch? Could be a Gearmatic, Isaacson, Hyster, Carco, etc....
Pictures would be a big help in identifying.