I work outside of the chicago land area and have an 1845c that I'm planning on putting to work with snow removal this year. I'm in a nutshell wondering is a 10' snow pusher too big for this machine? Machine will always be trailered and 10' wide on a trailer in the snow would be an issue but I have an 11' dump that will pull the trailer with drop down sides so being able to take it eveywhere wont be an issue. I'm also considering going with a conventional plow set up but with the cab enclosure I have now (vinyl) the door opens right into the hydraulic couplings which if you have something hooked up you cant open or close the door and I havent bothered to check to see if I can move the hinges to the other side. I know a 8' snow push shouldnt be a problem and a 10 shouldnt either in my opinion however if we get some of the larger wetter snows I think I would have issues with long runs tough to say. Any ideas thoughts pros cons to either push box or conventional plows. I do like not having couplings or hoses to break but sometimes a plow is easier.
The biggest issue I have with this big pushers is hooking up traction. I have one on a 465. Power is never an issue but traction is even with a machine that weighs 9K. I think especially in wet snow you will be underpowered but you can get by, however hooking up that much pusher to a machine that is as light as is the 1845C will be your biggest hold back I think.
I'm not too far from you. We run boxes on Case 95XTs and Bobcat 300. They do great except when there is very heavy snow and/or ice underneath. When we had that big storm last year (16" for us) they were having a tough time even though we started early. Had to put wheel loader with them to help out. It was extreme though.
I have used all sorts of Case skids, and a 10ft pusher is too large for that machine. A skid weighing 6000lbs isn't going to push that 10ft pusher full. Maybe if you were talking a 8000-10 000lb machine. Eventually though, your machine is going to spin out and lose traction.
from a towing stand point I would stay at 102" or 8' even , they cant give you a hard time with being max road wide. At 10' you need wide load signs and some road construction areas dont let oversized loads run threw there. Now back to the machine , I thing with the weight of the snow and a 8' pusher in wet sticky snow you will not be able to lift the pusher. Tire chains and or carbide tip screws are a good idea but the wrong operator will chew up a set of chains in a few storms .
subscribing
i don't push much snow here in Tennessee, but if you got a 10 and it was this heavy snow they are talking about couldn't you just get a 7 or 8 foot bite?
yea i noticed big time last year that traction is the biggest thing you have to fight with. So the other decision now is to go with a 8 foot pusher or a conventional plow. Any other suggestions you guys have?
I think the pusher gives you more capacity than a regular plow. A V plow is a good option as well, although they are expensive.
I agree with biting into less snow with a bigger pusher. HLA makes 9' as well. Pushers, when combined with a bucket, are great for large areas as you can use the bucket to load or pile once you've pushed all the snow. Windrowing at a large property with a regular angle blade can get time consuming. Guys seem to really like v-plows at condos and sites with limited manueverability. Not bad pricing 9' $4700.00 up here in Calgary.