I've got a New Holland LS180 and I seem to spend a lot of my time in mud and soft ground. Is there a reason I'd regret over the tire tracks? I've never used them and they are a pretty good investment. I'd like to hear the pros and cons from those that use them. Are they a lot of trouble to put on and take off? I do need to be on pavement sometimes. I've seen the steel tracks with rubber bolt on pads. They are even more money, but maybe worth it? Are they loud? rough ride? hard on the machine? I don't know what I don't know. thanks, Greg
I had a set of Loegerings. I was surprised at how fast they wore at the pins, more maintenance than I expected. Their traction in mud was outstanding, better than a rubber tracked machine for sure. Ride on soft ground was plenty acceptable. I didn't run them much on hard ground. Installing/removing them was a bit of a pain. I wouldn't want to do it often. Nothing terrible but probably killed an hour pretty esy.
I've got a set of Loegerings on a Bobcat 753. They make that machine an animal in soft ground whether it be sand, clay, mud, whatever. I haven't worn out the pins yet, but I don't hardly run them 50 hours a year. It took me about 20 minutes to put them on last fall, and about 5 to take them off in the spring. I only use the machine to load hay bales during the winter, maybe a little bit of plowing in a heavy snowfall year. In the early spring, I'll use that machine to move logs and brush from winter harvest. Without the OTT, I wouldn't get anything done with that machine otherwise in slippery ground. I'm a big fan, and if I have to replace some pins some day, so be it. They keep the machine usable in all conditions so I don't have to have extra equipment. I have read good review of the Camoplast OTT system, but I've never ran a machine with it. The loegering's are nice, heavy, solid, bite well and I find them fairly easy to put on and off once you get used to the system. That said, be dang careful loading that machine onto a trailer with steel ramps or steel deck. They slip even when everything is dry.
Especially on a longer wheelbase machine you have to be careful driving over rough ground or obstacles as it can put extra stress on the axles and seals.
I have a case 95xt that I put over the tire tracks on. Huge difference in where I can work with it. Really slippery loading it on steel ramps.
I have a set of grouser brand tracks I've used on my case a few times. They make a night and day difference in muddy, wet conditions. Removal is easy but installation is a hassle on par with changing a large tire or two I would say. You definitely don't want to be running them across any pavement you care about. I would look for a used set usually the prices are much lower than MSRP.
So, I ordered a set of the McLaren rubber tracks. I need to be on pavement and concrete driveways. Hope they are worth it. Thanks for the input. Considered the Camso rubber OTT tracks as well, but was told by their dealer I would also have to change my tires from 12-16.5 to 10-16.5 for clearance reasons. No explanation why. Greg
A neighbor had an 1845c with 12.5 rubber, he had to put on wheel spacers to run the OTT and keep the 12.5 tires.
Mine has got the spacers, already. The original owner added them and ran steel tracks. Camso said that spacers wouldn't solve the problem, had to be smaller tires. Maybe something with the boom clearing in full down position? Greg
colson04, I have a 753, I'm running solid tires and bought a set of used steel tracks a few years back. They won't fit unless I have some kind of adapter to move the wheels out. Is it even possible to run the OTT with solid tires and do you know of an adapter that will work if so? Thank you
I used to put a set off Loegering Trail Blazers on a 95Xt and 465. You flipped the wheels around to reverse the offset and strap them on. Pretty incredible what you could do with that machine and set of steel tracks. Flat tires really really sucked though, even more than normal.
I don't know what you need, to be honest. We contacted Loegering years ago, told them what we had and they said all I needed was their tracks. They go on with no issues for my machine. I'm running stock 753 wheels and rubber, no adapters or spacers. As for your situation, I would contact track manufacturer and talk to their sales rep or technical department. They can probably tell you what you need and where to get it to set your machine up appropriately.
Yes, yes they really do. I learned that on a tree clearing job this past July. Large, broken branch flipped around the track and tore a valve stem off my tube. My 3/8" dewalt impact makes splitting the track a 3 minute task, and then its just R&R of the tire. I didnt have a spare handy so I had to shut down, go to town, get my tire fixed, etc. Spent half my day finding a tire shop that had a correct tube as nobody stocks them anymore. Using the loegering track tightener makes putting the track back on fairly quick as well.
Yup, I put a set of loggering copy steel tracks on my JD240. P&B are pretty worn, but I don't use them often. They doo work well, I dive right into mud and it's scary that I would get stuck, but have not yet. Flat tires, I ran one day where the 2 tires on the left side went flat, track side plates crunched the rims. Had to take off track, wheels, and heat up rims, and re-bend the bead area. With all the problems and money I see with rubber tracked machines, I wonder if a machine could be set-up with OTT and flat free tires ? Might be the better option for some people.
I've never been around the Loegering tracks myself but have the Grouser brand. I too have seen rims beaten badly when a flat happens. I've always wanted to purchase a pair but never have and purposely kept the old rims when I replaced with new tires several year ago because of this.
I've crunched some skid steer wheels before. That's never a fun day fixing them.
I've always ran the thick sidewall tires to save the rims. So far that seems to have been a good move as I've not destroyed a single one and have cut and chunked out sidewalls.
You for sure need a quality set of tires if your running OTT tracks. The tracks will certainly tear into the side walls at times. Ideally, running airless tires would be the best solution if your going to have them on for any length of time. That of course will at 3k or more to the cost of running them, but I agree that especially in slippery conditions like hilly, snow covered areas. OTT grip better than a CTL with rubber tracks. I used them clearing wooded lots on steep grades on a ski hill on one project. I am not sure anything else would have worked except for the OTT tracks.