Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skip loader instead of compact tractor?

DualsportWA ยท 2020-10-03 11:16

Hi guys- I'm in the market for a tractor for a variety of things- box scraper, auger, mower, etc. I've been looking at compact 4x4 utility tractors in the 30-50hp range and am SHOCKED at how expensive they are used in my area. I tend to like bigger/heavier/industrial anyways. And that leads me to my question! What about getting something like a Case 570 4x4 instead? It would run the PTO accessories off the back, have more power, more weight, and I would think: last longer than a small residential grade tractor. Any specific cons of going this route? Difficult to connect a "normal mower" (new to this, I have a Case 580K 4x4 extendahoe) - I'm not as familiar with PTO splines, RPM ranges, etc.

Replies3
  1. #1Bumpsteer2020-10-03 21:57

    The dairy farmers here figured that out 25 years ago....step up and buy the skip loader, forget about a compact or ag tractor. A friend has a 480 thats pushing 40k hours now.... Ed

  2. #2hvy 1ton2020-10-03 23:47

    I don't know much about skip loaders, but I was under the impression most of them didn't have a PTO.

  3. #3Swetz2020-10-04 08:04

    I have a Ford 445A TL. It does have a 3 point that will lift hydraulically, but no pto. I do know that they made this model with a pto, but you had to have a manual shift trans for that option. Mine has the shuttle. It does have aux hydraulics tho. Don't quite me but I think it is around 12gpm @ 2500psi. This can be used to run some implements. It is heavy at 10k#, and the loader can lift 3500#, which is more than any compact I have ever seen. Mine is only 2 wheel drive so it has a bit of an issue there, but it was at the right price, so it is mine . If you can find a deal, I would go for it. That said, the compact tractors are no slackers either. I think you would be fine either way if you could find a TL with a pto at a deal.