Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skyjack 3219

Marty Kueffler · 2020-12-17 19:58

hi, unit will lift from bottom but nothing from the platform. gauge shows good battery, when anything is activated from the platform controller, the battery gauge needle drops right to zero. I did find a red wire loose on the platform connector, it seems to only power the red light on the emergency stop. I then check each battery, i got 6.5 volts each. then checked total voltage at the battery pack and only had 10 volts. I cleaned the positive cable, as it was corroded. this fixed the problem. unit worked great. I shut the power off and left the shop. then a week later i went to move the unit and it had the exact same problem again. Im looking for advice on most probable cause of battery needle going dead when joystick or horn is activated and this issue. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Txhayseed2020-12-18 22:46

    So you still have ground controls but no platform controls ? Not sure what you said there was before or after. Sky jacks are synonymous with wiring issues. I would start by removing the control box plug and the machine side plug. Take the 4 screws out and pull the 24 pin plug out of the housing and inspect both sides. They tend to corrode horribly inside there on both sides. There is also an identical plug under the machine. They don’t seem to get as corroded under as on the deck. Any time I have issues with sky jacks and I’m 100 percent sure the batteries are good that’s the first place i look. Unlike other brands skyjacks are designed to work from the platform first ground controls are secondary. I’d would start there. You can always plug your box in to the bottom plug t bypass the scissor stack cable but I highly suggest you check the above mentioned before anything else If you have ground controls . If you don’t have ground controls either let me know and I can try and help you pin point the Issue

  2. #2Marty Kueffler2020-12-18 23:08

    yes, so I could raise the lift from the ground controls, but the platform controls would do nothing but make the battery gauge needle drop right to zero. I did order new ends for the cable that runs from under the machine to the joy stick controller. they seem to have some corrosion and one wire was loose. After I cleaned the positive cable, at the battery that runs to the master switch, the machine worked perfectly from the platform. probably just plain luck, because when I went to move the machine a week later it was back to the original problem. When those cable ends come in ill install them. I'm sure I should clean up all the battery and electrical connections too. I still confused as to why the battery gauge needle on the platform controller would drop to zero when moving the joystick or pressing the horn button. Thanks for you help, much appreciated. Ill let you know how the troubleshooting you suggested turns out.

  3. #3Txhayseed2020-12-22 20:07

    Every skyjack scissor i have ever worked on seems to do that. Even fully charged the needle on the state of charge meter drops off when a function is stroked then returns to somewhere around the middle or not at all. Its not a good indicator of your state of charge or machine operation. Some people order a 24 volt ezgo state of charge meter and cut a hole in control box and mount it. It gives you a much more reliable read out. But if you charge it like you should the state of charge is a mute point.. Pending the overall condition of your batteries a full work day should not be an issue. If you want to install the ezgo meter there is a green and black wire that is inside the box that is not used but runs all the way down into there wiring cover on the motor side door that can be used for such a purpose. Hopefully those connections will fix your problem. If you have ground controls you have power so your issue is from the bottom connection anywhere between the control box. Its generally always with in the plug at the deck or inside the control box itself. The get dropped, pulled, yanked ect and the plug or strain relief just lets the cable pull out from its connection or of course the above mentioned corrosion. You can take your control box apart and ground to the box and check for battery voltage at both side of the stop. It feeds the estop power in and out first.

  4. #4Marty Kueffler2020-12-24 17:36

    Good new, Its working! I checked the control box first, and it looked like it just came from the factory. So I replaced the 16 pin connector on the control box. That was the one that was in question in my mind. That did the trick. Thank you for your advice and insight, it was very much appreciated!

  5. #5Txhayseed2020-12-24 23:22

    Good news.. Im glad that got it fixed and your back up and running.