Hey everyone, I have been working on a Skytrak 5028 trying tosolve a no start issue. I believe it was sucking air in the line and was getting air possibly in the line. The Engine is a Cummins 4B3.9 if I am not mistaken. I removed the primer bulb and put an electric pump in it's place. I have fuel all the way to the injectors and the SOB still won't start. I can hear the little pintle clicking on and off when I connect/disconnect it. I even tried a little shot of Ether and not so much as a cough out of it. It is in a remote location that I won't dare take my service truck back to so now keeping a charge on the battery is becoming an issue. I can't seem to find a service manual for this thing anywhere... I appreciate your help everyone. Nate
For real...it won't even fire off using ether?
In my experience ether isn't always a sure thing. It seems that if it is too cold it doesn't always atomize enough with the plastic tip on the can to ignite a cold engine. It is also easy to flood an engine. You can usually tell if the RPM's go down or by the color of the smoke. "I can hear the little pintle clicking on and off when I connect/disconnect it." Are you sure it has the internal fuel shut-off? You may just be hearing the relay click. Most of these have an external coil which is notorious for failing. (Note: This applies to all mechanically injected B3.9, B5.9 and C8.3 with the inline injection pump. There was an updated Cummins coil that improved things but didn't completely eliminate them.) They actually have two coils in one housing. The bigger one is only energized while cranking and has enough power to pull the fuel shut-off open. The smaller one is on whenever the key is on, and is only large enough to hold the shut-off open but can't pull it on. If this is the type you have look at the position with the key off. Briefly crank the engine but leave the key on, if it hasn't moved the pull coil is bad. What you can do to get it moving is turn the key on, push the fuel shut-off open by hand, then start. Just remember that if you turn the key off or the voltage drops too low the shut-off will close again. In this case I have held them open with a zip-tie or piece of stiff wire. ISZ
IceStationZebra- Thank you for the info. The 4B3.9 that is in this machine does not have an external shut off. The Solenoid is screwed into the injector pump. When I pulled the single wire off the "tab" it would *click*, and again when plugging it back in. I believe this is wired straight from the battery, through the key switch. All I have to do is put the key in the on position and it actuates. Now, when I left this machine I had fuel to the injectors, or so I thought... I went back yesterday to throw another battery on it. I cracked the injector lines and cranked it over... No Fuel... I went back and re-traced through the fuel system, there was no fuel on the injector side of the injector pump. So I focused back on the little solenoid. I disconnected a couple lines to get to the valve and removed it. I took it over to a battery and connected it. it looks like a little rod with a pencil eraser on top, being sucked in and out. Works perfectly... so I put it all back together, turned the key and after a couple cranks the SOB started..... I stayed with the machine tying up all my loose ends, turning it off and then back on, over and over and over... So *crossing my fingers* it should be fixed. I was able to drive it out of the mud which was almost knee deep in some spots, and get it next to my service truck just incase it shut down again.. This machine will be fighting a constant battle, it only has 2000 hours on it and it is in terrible shape. Definitley needs some TLC. Thank everyone.
I had a starting issue with my 5028 skytrak, I replaced the fuel line, it looked good from outside but it was swelled shut, start simple...