Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skytrak shooting boom forklift wheel end disassembly?

Jayroget · 2025-06-20 05:43

I have a 1989 International Skytrak 6036 shooting boom forklift that the right front inner wheel seals need replacing. I have the inner planetary gears removed and a few other parts but having trouble removing the outer gear part to get to the most inner seal. Anyone have any ideas? Pictures included.

Replies4
  1. #1tractormech2025-06-21 08:29

    It's stuck. Get all the bolts out of 29, ( looks like you did), and hit the back side of the hub, (34) with a heavy hammer on eack side and see if you can get it moving. Put a couple of bolts back in 29 loosely so it doesn't fly off in the dirt. See if you can get it to move. Not being stupid,but why are you doing the seal? Is it just losing planetary oil or is it leaking when you hit the brakes?

  2. #2Jayroget2025-06-21 20:49

    The planetary gear is what I was trying to remove. I did get it done today. The oil was coming out the back side and coated the whole tire in about 10 seconds of driving. Found out the seals are gone and the cup roller bearings were virtually destroyed. Going to need more parts…….ugh.

  3. #3tractormech2025-06-21 22:27

    You mean the hub -not the gear. It gets stuck . You'll probably need new shims to set the new bearings. You'll need a quart of friction modifier fluid too. Although last time I asked for it they provided a tube of posi traction diff lube. Glad you got it apart.

  4. #492U 34062025-06-21 23:04

    That ring gear looks borderline ****ed in those pictures. I'd be tearing down the planetaries and checking the bearings and gears there too while it's all apart.