Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slamming a truck front end to the ground

Rajin Canajin · 2024-12-25 23:12

Have an old 94 freight liner that we think we should try making it a little showy. And goey. If that’s a word. Has a 14 l Detroit in it. I know nothing about detroits other than some sound real nice. This one is getting tired. I’m all honesty it should go down the road but I’d like to turn it into a tmr mixer truck but that’s not going to happen. So….like to lower it. How? Not sure how to go about this and it’s definitely not the first thing to do but I would like to start research on what’s available. Sorta the same as it needs a complete new interior. And a paint job. And probably pull the transmission and find something that doesn’t have cancer in it. And maybe some rear end work. I think there is a couple lights out too. So yea. What I have as a vision will likely not turn out what it ends up being but whatever you got, throw some ideas out there if you don’t mind that would be great. Thanks.

Replies15
  1. #1Shimmy12024-12-25 23:20

    Unless it had a 14L put in by someone, that will be a 12.7.

  2. #2Rajin Canajin2024-12-26 00:04

    Well I’m going to have to have a look tomorrow. I was told it’s a 14. I never have opened the hood. It just sits there. I’ll get back with a better idea tomorrow.

  3. #3Rajin Canajin2024-12-26 13:56

    What. The truck is not in Pakistan. lol.

  4. #4crane operator2024-12-26 17:40

    Like shimmy1 said, I don't think the 14l was even produced until after 2002. At a 1994, it would have to be a 11.1 or a 12.7 if its original to the truck. If it needs all that work, and you want to spend that kind of money on it, I wouldn't be doing it to a freightliner. A pete or KW with that kind of money spent on it, makes it possible to get your money back. Resale isn't there on a freightliner. So unless you have some sentimental attachment to the freightliner, I think there's better choices. I don't think you'll find a lot of info here on building a show truck/ dropping suspension, most guys here, are like me and running off road/ construction related work, and need all the ground clearance we can get. Not many OTR guys,.

  5. #5Shimmy12024-12-26 17:48

    "Slamming" the front end is something we cringe at if it happens, which it does.

  6. #6shopguy2024-12-26 18:31

    I slammed one with a backhoe pulling it out in the dark

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-12-26 19:33

    7 entries and all bs. First off--it doesn't matter the brand on resale when it's been drastically altered, the market narrows about 95% once done, and that goes for KW & Pete. The 14 Liter came on the scene in late 98. At the currant price of parts first order is figuring cost. And by what OP has said----about 100K from start to finish & possibly more. Before even starting----need to go have a discussion with a custom class eight truck shop in his area, because in all seriousness it probably end up behind the shop in pieces waiting for the snip. There is one statement above that is true--not too many OTR guy's on here, mainly one and that one is known world wide for the truck he built below. He's on about 7 FB pages of show & antique trucks. Sometimes he has to toot his own horn. Nobody really uses the term slammed anymore or really does that, it's kind of become passe. *

  8. #8CM19952024-12-26 20:24

    I've slammed a couple of Mack Granite hooklifts to the ground pulling up overloaded 30's a couple of times does that count?

  9. #9Truck Shop2024-12-26 20:27

    That's a overload of the day.

  10. #10crane operator2024-12-26 22:52

    Fascinating. Earliest engine manufacturing dates I can find are late 1999 for 2000 and 2001 model year trucks. I've never actually seen any production trucks with earlier dates and a 14l. So are you saying his 1994 is a 14l?

  11. #11Shimmy12024-12-26 23:11

    I have heard rumors before that there were some 14L test engines out in the world around that 98-00 timeframe. Supposedly they were rated at 650 horse and 2150 torque? This is all probably heresay and truckstop gossip, but it was claimed they were getting 7+ mpg pulling 100k. Detroit knew that they were reaching the top with the 12.7 when they came out with the DDEC4. Last part, if Detroit could have remained an option for all the manufacturers, the 600 hp Series 60 would have been a major player, but after Detroits became Freightliner/Western Star exclusive, the 625 just went away.

  12. #12crane operator2024-12-26 23:22

    I like the couple 60 series that we have. But not enough to drive a freightliner to own one. Its interesting how the manufacturers have worked on bringing engine/ transmission all under their own umbrella's. Rather than the old mix and match for whatever you wanted.

  13. #13Shimmy12024-12-26 23:28

    Easy to understand that. When you used to could get either a Cat, Cummins, or Detroit, your shop guys had to know how to work on all three. Now, most only have to know one.

  14. #14Truck Shop2024-12-27 07:54

    Yes it is fascinating isn't it, the 14 L came out in late 98 for 1999 production year, was listed as DDEC III 14L. * And no I'm not saying anything resembling the idea that said truck has a 14L, I rather doubt it. * Production dates especially 30 years ago and down were very often a mixed bag. A favorite is the introduction of the B Model Cat, listed as a late 1983 manufacturing date/time period. When in fact the B model could be had as early as July of 1982, and there were A model Cat engines still being installed at factories in late 83. * The owners dad Ray--who wouldn't buy anything but a Freightliner bought two Freightliner Classics extended hoods in 1998 both equipped with 14 Liter Series 60's DDEC III's. * It's kind of like a Kenworth narrow grille with early doors being produced in 1966. PacCar built several one still around. * As far as Manufactures building engine, trans & drives under their umbrella--Mack completed that idea many many moons ago.

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-12-31 04:37

    When it comes to custom trucks, this is a masterpiece! A lot of pride and attention to detail went into it.