Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slew bearing oil recommendation Volvo EC390

Ct Farmer · 2022-08-16 19:43

I need to change the oil bath on the slew ring and Volvo gives no spec for it in the service manuals. They tell me 5 gallons but no viscosity. Dealer has the same book and is scratching his head. I’m using, per Volvo spec, 85w-140 GL-5 in the swing reduction unit and final drives. Anybody think this is too heavy for the bearing? Should I go to 80w-90 or that too thin for the gear? Cost is the same either way. Anything else I might want use instead? 50T machine, bearing is about 48” diameter. We will almost never run it under 40°F but it will run in the summer at up to 100°F. Right now it is 85° here and I start a 2 acre pond next week. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1John C.2022-08-16 21:29

    I'm confused by your question. Are you asking about the lubricant that goes in the swing pinion tub or the swing reducer? As far as I know grease is what is used for the swing pinion and ring gears.

  2. #2shopguy2022-08-16 21:33

    That’s what I was thinking John

  3. #3Ct Farmer2022-08-16 21:35

    I am asking about the oil bath for the swing gear and bearing. Unlike 99% of the machines on the market that use grease Volvo made this model with an oil bath slew gear and bearing.

  4. #4Ct Farmer2022-08-16 21:35

    See my reply to John. This machine is an oil bath slew bearing. Rare thing indeed.

  5. #5uffex2022-08-17 03:53

    Good day CT If the photo is the machine in question the normal lube was for EP90, if you prefer to use a heavy grade due to the tempreture I do not forsee a problem. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6uffex2022-08-17 03:56

    Extra illustration.

  7. #7Ct Farmer2022-08-17 08:12

    Yes, that is the machine. Thanks for the input. I’m going to go with the heavier lube since I already have plenty in stock.