Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slew drive oil top up

Jwmh ยท 2018-01-07 02:45

Hi I have an old Kobelco Sk027 that I have been working on to get running. It has not been well maintained and is quite rusty. Today I discovered a small dip stick that goes onto the centre of the slew mechanism. The stick is dry so my assumption is that there is no oil or very little oil in the gearbox or drive motor or whatever the mechanism is called. Can anyone please advise how I can add oil and what oil I should use. I have not yet been able to find a manual for this excavator. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1uffex2018-01-09 04:46

    Good day Jm Give us a snap of the dip stick we will try to help. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Jwmh2018-01-09 06:19

    Some Photos thanks

  3. #3uffex2018-01-09 11:36

    Good day Jim As best we can see the dip stick is for the swing transmission normally should have gear oil showing, do you have a parts book for the machine ? KR Uffex

  4. #4Jwmh2018-01-09 13:53

    That's what I'm thinking too. The stick is not showing any oil, possibly leaks and has not been topped up by previous owner(s). I have not managed to find any manuals for this machine or anything similar.

  5. #5uffex2018-01-09 13:54

    We had a search and found on line parts book CNH USA the pitcs are not to clear but if you have grease nipples on the ring bearing its a fair bet this dip stick if for the swing transmission

  6. #6Jwmh2018-01-10 03:32

    Yes, the slew ring does have grease applied to it. I assume the gearbox just drives the ring at the appropriate speed. I just need to figure out how to fill it and determine what type and grade of oil.

  7. #7uffex2018-01-10 09:57

    Good day Jim Its a fair bet that you fill through the dip stick hole we guess EP90 gear oil. KR Uffex