Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slew problem, need help Case CK36

David MAIR · 2021-03-01 16:33

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am looking for some help, please. I am an amateur and have an old (1995) Case CK36. I was using it today, slewing clockwise, tried to stop slewing but it just carried on! It must have looked like a comedy sketch. no other controls would work nor the safety lever, blade or tracking, so just had to kill the engine. started the engine again,it started slewing clockwise straight away. The bucket would not lower either. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies14
  1. #1Coaldust2021-03-01 21:53

    There must be someone on the HEF who can help David out. He’s been spinning in a clockwise direction since 12:33. He’s either going to get dizzy and toss his cookies or run out of fuel pretty soon.

  2. #2Vetech632021-03-02 04:47

    First thing I would check is the main control spool for the swing. Sounds like it is stuck from debris....or a broken centering spring.

  3. #3uffex2021-03-02 06:00

    Good day David For sure you have one of two possible issues a seized spool or you have pilot pressure locking the spool, you infer that reversing the control lever had no effect in which case the former sounds more probable. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4David MAIR2021-03-02 08:49

    Thanks very much for your reply, Vetch and uffex, I've removed the cartridge on the spool which has, like a pawl pin that depresses. then all I can see down the hole is a smaller hole. Appeared to be no stuck parts. Reassembled, still the same. Just to re-cap: Start engine Slewing clockwise without touching controls Won't slew anti clock, open bucket, close bucket raise or lower boom, move arm in or out, raise or lower blade. Engaging the safety! lock lever makes no difference The only other thing it will do, is track. When the engine is turned off, you can slew it clockwise by pushing it round manually but you can't push it round anti clock. I don't know what pilot pressure is. Thanks, Dave

  5. #5Vetech632021-03-02 08:51

    Remove the pilot lines at both ends of the swing section and plug them. See if that stops the movement.

  6. #6David MAIR2021-03-02 08:51

    Thanks very much for your reply, Vetch and uffex, I've removed the cartridge on the spool which has, like a pawl pin that depresses. then all I can see down the hole is a smaller hole. Appeared to be no stuck parts. Reassembled, still the same. Just to re-cap: Start engine Slewing clockwise without touching controls Won't slew anti clock, open bucket, close bucket raise or lower boom, move arm in or out, raise or lower blade. Engaging the safety! lock lever makes no difference The only other thing it will do, is track. When the engine is turned off, you can slew it clockwise by pushing it round manually but you can't push it round anti clock. I don't know what pilot pressure is. Thanks, Dave

  7. #7Vetech632021-03-02 08:52

    The safety lever only stops the pilot controls from having pressure to operate the main system.

  8. #8David MAIR2021-03-02 08:54

    Thanks, I'll try that.

  9. #9uffex2021-03-02 09:35

    Hi Dave Your latest thread paints a slightly different picture you may have an issue in the swing motor, could you possibly take a snap of the motor - valve segment - and if you have a schematic post these. I believe the origin of the machine is possibly Yanmar, if it is we have trouble shooting procedure for those machines. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10uffex2021-03-02 09:45

    David see the attached Checking spool movement compare with other spools establish if the parking position is correct.

  11. #11David MAIR2021-03-02 13:46

    I hope these are the correct items needed. I'll see if I can get a photo of it in daylight. I'll do the spool check tomorrow.

  12. #12uffex2021-03-03 04:14

    Good day David Please see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  13. #13David MAIR2021-03-03 08:22

    Hello uffex, Thank you for that lead. It looks like access is via the top, so I'll remove the seat , heater and floor. I also need to try to move it to a better working position, closer to civilisation. That should be 'interesting'! When you said about posting the case information, did you mean the manual and/or Machine details i.e.. Case CK36 1995 ( I was told it is the same build as a Kubota KT101). It may take me some time to do that but I will be back to you. Your help is much appreciated. Regards, Dave

  14. #14uffex2021-03-03 10:35

    Hi Dave if you could share the manual it would be useful to have on file, good luck with the move keep us in the picture. Stay safe Uffex