Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slide in water tanks

CM1995 ยท 2007-03-23 21:59

Does anyone know where I can get one of those water tanks that slide into a box dump. I never thought I would need a water truck in March but the dust is horrible and it is starting to affect compaction. It can be a steel square tank or round plastic tank. The dump truck we will be using is a Ford L8000 with a standard 14' box dump. It can be gravity spray and we have a hydrant on site for filling. Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-03-23 23:39

    Most places around here use fuel oil tanks with skid legs welded on plus a bung for pipe. Then they just make a sprinkler out of iron pipe that's gravity fed. Don't forget a shut off valve.

  2. #2CM19952007-03-24 00:37

    The plumbing should be pretty simple. I have seen a PVC pipe with holes drilled in for spray bars and simple plastic valves in line. I like this idea but I wonder about the durability. If this type of set up was on a dedicated truck then I wouldn't worry so much. But since it will be removed from time to time it needs to be tougher. I would get some plate steel, weld one up and plumb it. Just don't have the time. The only fuel oil tanks we have are currently storing off-road fuel on site. It's hard to find anything bigger than a home propane tank since down south we don't heat with oil. I really need at least 2000 gal. Found an old septic truck but I just can't go there.:throwup

  3. #3Ford LT-90002007-03-24 00:51

    Try find yourself a used 16' foot long 2500 gallon round tank if its only being used offroad a non baffled tank works. If its a on road tank then you will need to have a baffled tank. The water truck I drove had a steel pipe for a spray bar another contractor built a water truck and used a heavy wall PVC pipe it worked too. Also make the connection between the tank and spray bar with a rubber hose and cam lock fittings. Then for filling the tank have a rubber hose that can hang over the side of the truck that you can hook a hose from the hydrant too so the guy driving the water truck doesn't have to climb onto the tank.

  4. #4CM19952007-03-24 11:11

    I found this and it is really what I am looking for. Just don't know a price yet. http://www.watertrucks.com/tank_details.asp?id=4a&cat=4

  5. #5Ford LT-90002007-03-24 22:25

    That tank looks awfull expensive

  6. #6PSDF3502007-03-24 22:39

    Whats your price range. Looked on truckpaper.com theres 351 water trucks from 10k up.

  7. #7tylermckee2007-03-26 03:21

    Thought about checking out your local farm supply yard? They should have some good size tanks that you can stick in your truck, would be easy to plumb your spray bar off of it. like this http://www.watertank.net/ellegta.html

  8. #8CM19952007-03-26 09:33

    That is what I think I am going to use. This site www.usplastics.com has a 2035 gal eliptical tank for $2600. They also have all the plastic fittings and valves to fit it. I should be able to get a 2k gal setup for under $4k with all the plumbing and tie downs. I am going out to measure the dump bed on our old L800 right now. I was thinking of running a hard pipe fill line to the back of the truck and put a valve in so you don't get soaked when you remove the fire hose. Also put a manual valve for the spray bar. I would like to have one of those fancy air-operated types but man they are expensive.

  9. #9Ford LT-90002007-03-26 18:42

    The water truck I drove which was a rolloff truck with a 3000 imperial gallon tank it had a manual valve you quickly get out of the cab pull the valve on then run back to the cab before you had a lake started. For the fill on the tank make the fill pipe as short at you can so the water doesn't have such a lift to it. Say the fill pipe can hang over the side depending on where the fill pipe will be and the vent on one end. If you wanted to have the tank fill faster get a small fire pump that you could suck out of lake or off a hydrant. I didn't drive water truck long I didn't like the set up plus the fact with 3000 gallons sitting in a round baffless tank you could see the ends of the tank bulging when the water sloshed end to end.

  10. #10CM19952007-03-26 21:19

    Well I had to bite the bullet today and rent a 2k gallon water truck. The dust is so bad and we are having problems hitting compaction due to lack of moisture. Luckily we found one at a local dealer but the rent is steep - $3k per month. It's a new Ford 750 with air operaterated valves and it works well I just don't like the Ford chassis. I do like the fact is has a hand held nozzle and hose real on the back - at least we can wash equipment while we have it. I am still on my hunt for a water tank/truck of my own. I hate to pay rent when I can own it but I just didn't have a choice this time. The rent is steep but time is money and we can't let the project stop. I also have found out that 2k gallons is not enough. I will try to get pics of the truck and post tomorrow. Thanks for the help CM

  11. #11Ford LT-90002007-03-26 21:40

    That is awfully steep what do they think you are doing ? At 3 grand a month that would be more than what you would pay if your buying the truck. I guess if you need a water truck you need one.

  12. #12jmac2007-03-26 22:42

    Any one think of using a old fire truck. My fire deprt. has an old (around mid 70's) International, four wheel drive, 13k miles, 500 gallon tank/engine that we are selling for $4000.

  13. #13Countryboy2007-03-26 23:08

    Thats a good idea but you'd need a tanker to get a tank with more than 2k gallons. Might check out some military surplus auctions. We have 2 water trucks here, one is a 5k gallon and the other is a 12k gallon. Both have pumps with air valves and R/C cannons.

  14. #14CM19952007-03-27 00:04

    It was the cheapest we could find. Cat Rental wanted $3600! Water trucks are just not something we need here on a regular basis. Usually March is our wettest month but this year has set some records for high temp. and lack of rainfall. We usually only need them occasionaly in the summertime. The old law of supply and demand is in effect. Used ones locally are virtually non-existent.

  15. #15CM19952007-03-27 00:08

    That is an interesting idea, although CB is right I need at least 2k gallon. Could you post some pics? I might be interested.

  16. #16jmac2007-03-27 11:38

    Called chief, the truck was a 1000 gallon, sold today. The tank did leak a little but would of lasted longer than a few months so would of been a good deal. Look on line at used fire trucks. Sometimes I see large tankers in the mid 80's go for under 10k.

  17. #17CM19952007-03-27 12:03

    Thanks for the info - unfortunately sometimes it's all about timing.

  18. #18Gmads2007-03-27 12:30

    Don't rule out that poly elliptical tank. I've built three water trucks using those tanks. The last one was an ex-government truck - F800 48,000 miles diesel, auto, A/C flatbed that I bought for $7000. Bolted the tank onto it and attached a 3" pump and some plumbing for a cheap water truck. I'm not sure how to attach a picture but I'll try to figure it out and post the result. I'll also try to attach a pic of a "mini" water truck (750 gallon) for grins.

  19. #19Gmads2007-03-27 12:32

    Wow, that worked! You'll also notice that I actually mounted the tank to it's own frame so I can take the tank off and still use the truck as a flatbed if necessary (same with the plumbing platform that holds the pump. hoses, and plumbing).

  20. #20jkc2010-11-23 08:38

    Wow. That's expensive