I've got a '05 Dodge 3500 and it needs a new fuel system. Warranty is unapplicable( not voided if dodge dealer does the work) $8500 cdndamage though. I've had a hell of a battle, and the dealership simply says it is contaminated fuel. In the bottom of the ****** cartridge bowl, is a pile of crud. But apparently there have been dozens of incidents and it is only a problem in Alberta where WE get "industrial fuel?" from rigs. And apparently trucks under 3 ton cannot burn that fuel. First we run equipment and small engines, and second, we also only get fuel from servicedand filtered bowser's that have sales fuel shipped to them. They also say that slip tanks are partially to blame for contaminating fuel, because they rust and create condensation. They won't even acknowledge that they have an insuperior one filter filtration system. They tell me that unless you bring your dodge into a dodge dealer that the filter change will not be properly done,because they have a special canister bowl vaccum that sucks the crud out every time. Even funnier is that they did not and would not take a sample, from the injection side or the fuel tank. I've am in the process of getting one and will have to foot the bill myself. I called Ford and GM and niether has had incidence but Ford did say that if there is a sign of water in your system warranty will be voided. So make sure if you don't already, to get at least a water seperator on your slip tanks.
Get rid of the Dodge. Keep the GMC.
I don't know what the problem with Dodge would be? Change your fuel filter at regular service intervals and all should be OK. You can drain the filter more often to rid any water. As far as slip tanks, they should all be filtered. I wouldn't ever take the chance of pumping bad fuel into my Dodge. ie: the big red Baldwin Filter right behind the cab of my Dodge.
that is bunk, if the filter is working properly, you shouldnt be able to hurt the mtoor. You could clog the lines, clog the pickup in the tank clog the filter but not hurt the motor. If your using a quality filter even some rust shoudlnt hurt the mtor.
Exactly I have been changing filter cartridge with every oil change. Plus draining the cartridge bowl completly. I should have shined a light in ther to inspect it , but all the same the bowl will not drain out completly. My slip tank is clean, and filtered.
I've never heard of this on Cummin's, so I would think the filter wasn't changed right or there is a problem with the fuel system. I get out in the boondocks and get fuel where ever I can and its not always good. On my Dmax I in stalled a secondary fuel filter before the stock one. Just splice the line and add a filter mount I use a Cat 1R0749 since there good and easy to come by.
Fuel Filtration I use a goldenrod filter with a see thru bowl on my stainless sliptank and it is amazing the amount of crap that comes out of supposedly clean fuel. I always get fuel at the same cardlock and even try to use the same pump every time. I never put fuel from their pump directly in anything. The problem is that in winter the filter slows down the flow to almost nothing. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks
I had a 2005 Dodge with a Cummins in it and it did the same thing. It got to the point that it wouldn't start and when it would run, would puke black smoke like a freight train! I took it to a dealer in Pullman,WA to have it looked at. They called me back and said Chrysler wouldn't warranty it because I had ran off road fuel in it. Well the shop boys got to looking around trying figure out why so much dirt was getting to the filter. I had never run off road fuel in it, even though I had numerous chances to do so. It turns out our friends from south of the boarder that put the Dodge pickups together, forgot to put the vent lines on top of the fuel tank. Imagine that!! They ended putting 6 new injectors, a new transfer pump, new fuel lines as well a a new common rail pump on it. They also cleaned 8 pounds of dirt out of the fuel tank. That happened at 43,000 miles. At 63,000 miles, this year on Fathers Day, when I changed the oil before heading out, I noticed a heck of a lot of oil all over the underside of my rig. Well I got to looking thinking it was a rear main seal or something, turns out it was coming out of the blow-by tube. I took it to a dealer in Port Angeles, WA and was told there was nothing they could do till the engine blew up. I one up-ed them and traded it off!! Got me a new 6.7 L Cummins in a 07 Dodge. Seems to be OK after only 8000 miles, expect you cant let em idle when its cold cause it plugs up the catalyst, enviro friendly crap! Jason I better add that I do have a drag tank in the bed that I use to fuel iron when needed (with off road fuel) but is used mostly as an auxillary tank when Im moving from job to job that I fill with the green stuff, cause we all know how hard it is to stop and get fuel at some places. My tank has a Baldwin or NAPA filter on it every 6 months and when the shop boys cut it open, they found no dirt!!
Good to hear a good story. I guess there is some hope for Dodge yet. Off -Road fuel my ass. that is the same as "Industrial fuel". I don't know about down there but I've had the oppurtunity to talk to (and get this they are calling me) some fuel big wig's. All sales fuel in Alberta is coming from 3 major refinereries. All has to meet a spec ( 32 ppm) my fuel came back at 23ppm. A die is the only difference between off-road fuel and sales fuel!!! A favor to any Dodge owner's out there. On your next fuel filter change, take a picture of your cartridge bowl(a trouble light helps) let me know your findings.