Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slope meter

BearGuy · 2026-08-05 22:47

Evening all I am curious what everyone is using for slope meters? It looks like there was in my new grader at one point but all that’s left is the adhesive. I’m not really interested in spending the $400 on the actual slope meter brand ones.

Replies10
  1. #1cuttin edge2026-08-06 04:40

    I run the slope meter brand. Make sure your cab mounts are good. When i first started, they had a 4 foot level on the windshield. You had to stop to read it . Whrn they installed the slope meter i found it to be inconsistent. Cab mount rubbers were bad and allowed movement in the cab that would throw off your reading. After that, it was dead on. The one on the volvo is never on. I can pull on the scales, set it to zero. Check it in a week and it's off by a percent or more. They even put a new meter in, and it's still thr same. Problem with a slope meter. If you are grading a 3% crown you have to be perfectly 90 degrees to the slope. If your articulation is off or you're pointing towards the center or shoulder especially on a hill, it throws off your reading

  2. #2AMBMike2026-08-06 06:31

    I've tried spirit levels, digital levels, and phone apps and finally decided that getting an actual slope meter was worth the money. The levels and phone apps work but you have to be stopped to get an accurate reading. Slope meter works well in motion. As mentioned by @cuttin edge the accuracy of the reading is affected by any number of variables. I would add tire pressure and tire size to his list. I made a simple adjustable mount that allowed calibrating the slope meter and checked regularly to make sure the reading was accurate.

  3. #3JaredV2026-08-06 20:17

    I run one of these but I'm just grading logging roads so no need for precision. Lev-o-gage 9 (Percent Slope + Degrees Model) The Lev-o-gage™ is a larger unit (5.85" wide) that features a dual scale with a single glass tube. The scale displays a range of -11 to +11 angular degrees as well as -20% to +20% slope. The engraved and hand painted numerals and hashmarks are extremely durable in harsh conditions. It features a... levogage.com

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-08-07 18:49

    I found one similar to a Slope Meter but about half the price. I made a magnetic mount for it. I think I made a post about it.

  5. #5BearGuy2026-08-08 11:45

    I did read your post a while back, Pretty good idea to make a mount like that.

  6. #6bigrus2026-08-15 04:24

    Are nice to have but once you've used the 2D set up on the GPS, it makes likes alot easier. I was running the "inclinometer" next to another grader using 2D and wondered why he would retrim my work!

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-08-15 17:54

    How expensive is a 2D set up?

  8. #8shaggs2026-08-15 19:15

    they both are only as good as their calibration.sloppy calibration and the grade is off,and do a grade check now and then.giddyup

  9. #9BearGuy2026-08-23 20:58

    It’s just for a generalization, I’m just in the learning phase and not making any roads or anything that needs super precision .

  10. #10bigrus2026-08-27 08:54

    John Deere 770G have it, whether it's an option or standard I don't know. The M series I was on before I "was retired" had it as part of the Cat GPS system. The 2D works without a base station set-up or mushroom poles attached like the 3D uses. It still uses the GPS basics likened to a sat phone. Older systems come up for sale but prices for them is like bidding on "evil buy"