Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sloppy blade

rchamberlain1 ยท 2024-08-06 23:22

Have a 78A D4D with an unknown blade. Outside arms with one tilt cylinder. Corner bits have six bolts. I forgot but I think it is. A 10 ft blade. My question is, there is a lot of wear in the lift cylinder trunions. You can see through them when you lift The blade. Is there bushings there? What needs to be done to tighten up?

Replies8
  1. #1rchamberlain12024-08-07 21:37

    Sorry I looked at serial number again and it is 83j

  2. #2reganj2024-08-08 20:21

    Picture of data plate and what part you are asking about will be very helpful.

  3. #3rchamberlain12024-08-09 07:19

    Data plate, on the tractor or on the blade? Can not find anything on the blade. Where would it be?

  4. #4Glum2024-08-09 13:47

    You have a Cat 4S blade, which somebody has added some height to. As far as the cylinder trunnions go, 4J6374 (2 per cylinder) and 4J6326 (4 per cylinder) is what I see for the D4E. D4D should be the same in my experience. Your track is also on backwards.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-08-09 16:11

    My guess is that the track was put on backwards and tensioned like a guitar string because the teeth are just stubs on the sprocket and where skipping.

  6. #6rchamberlain12024-08-09 22:40

    First off let me say sorry for making to many mistakes. Blame it on old age. The tractor is a 83j. The blade is 8ft. We had a difficult time getting the corner bits. The first ones they sent had 3 bolt holes which they said was for this tractor. You see they have 6. Not the standard blade? Maybe my terminology was wrong for what I was wanting. I want to know how to tighten the connection between the hyd ram and the blade. Ball and cap? I will get a manual if I can identify the blade. It does look like I could use some new bushings at the tractor end Also.

  7. #7rchamberlain12024-08-09 22:51

    Replying to the tracks on backwards. Bought this dozer because it had the best looking tracks of any we looked at. No clue about being on backwards.

  8. #8Glum2024-08-10 01:22

    Yours is one of the standard blade options for your tractor. End bits should be 5j6923 (left) and 5j6924 (right). Trunnion ball on the blade: 6j8183 (called a bracket.) Cap: 3j6559 No part no. for the rod end as it is shown as part of the rod. One could probably weld a cap onto the rod end with threaded holes drilled out. You could probably get by with trimming a little off the cupped parts and possibly doing a little building up of the ball, especially on an old machine which will likely see limited use.