Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

slow swing when starting with colder temps komatsu pc 95

dep ยท 2011-11-29 17:57

any help?/ left or right swing extremely slow when initiallly started ,once machine warms up swing increases, swing also increases sometimes when throttled up , , thnx

Replies8
  1. #1qball2011-11-29 19:28

    well, i'm no expert mechanic, but most machines are a little sluggish when cold. i would cycle the boom and stick at low throttle untill the machine warms up and then swing to your hearts content.

  2. #2Wardiker2011-11-29 20:36

    I agree with qball, its normal, my Ex60 takes about 10-15 min to warm up proper and move with proper power. I usually let the machine warm for 10 min, then cycle the hydraulics for a few min before I start, my understanding is that the hydraulic oil needs to come up to temp. When its -10c I let it warm up for about 20 min just to treat it nice. Has this always been the case with your unit and how many hours are on it?

  3. #3Ricemiester2011-11-29 21:00

    Strongly agree you should let machine heat up since the hydraulic oil is much thicker when its cold which causes it to flow slower. Then once it warms up the fluid breaks down and flows faster since its warmer.

  4. #4Nige2011-11-30 07:39

    As you are in Canada where it's likely to be more than a tad cold right now are you sure you're using a hydraulic oil that is the correct (low enough) viscosity for the climatic conditions ..? What does your Maintenance Manual recommend ..? As others above have said just warm up the hydraulics correctly first thing in the morning and you'll be good to go, but a change of viscosity in the oil the next time you PM the machine might also help.

  5. #5dep2011-11-30 10:13

    im up just north of muskoka, got 8" snow dumped , Yeah I understand the warm cycle but every other function operates on start perfectly withou hesitation,just trying to swing cab is impossible , is there a sticky spri.g or pressure switch I should look for, Machine is 1.5 miles into unplowed road , bring your sleds up.

  6. #6dep2011-11-30 16:13

    Yes its occurred a few occassions, 3000 hrs, All other functions with boom and shovel work fine once started, is there a longer wait for swing motor to respond in colder temps?

  7. #7Wardiker2011-11-30 18:38

    Yeh I got 4000hrs and it does take a little longer for my tracks to get up to full power when I move cold.

  8. #8manac2011-12-01 22:41

    I have a 442 and its the same way, I installed a 1000 watt tank heater which helped immensely now the oil will warm to about 40 degrees c in minus 25 c weather speeds things up alot