Need help with a Swing Gear problem. Opened up the access or inspection plate and found the Swing Gear was full of water. I drained the water out through bottom access. Now have a huge amount of sludge (old grease and water slime). I have searched this forum to see what to do. Found many discussions that say when you find water, no big problem. Just drain and remove old grease. HOW?? How do you get all of the Sludge out? Please help. WHAT DO YOU USE TO DO SO?
It's a mess no matter what you do. Many people would just put new grease over the top of the old. Since you have the bottom access cover off, you can tip the machine up and let it drain for a day or two. If you don't have the time you can use some thick cardboard and hold it against the bottom of the tub and turn the house very slowly so the top access goes toward the back. If the cardboard gets a little stuck, make sure you let go of it and yell stop. I used to only put someone I trusted in the cab for this. Once you have the tub kind of clean you can refill with new grease. Good Luck!
THANKS John C. I actually had someone else say that since it was already flooded with water before I drained it, to simply use a hose pipe and flush as much of the sludge out that way. Then let it drain for a day. Then poor diesel into it to help flush out the remaining water and sludge. Then let that drain for a day and then re-grease. Has anyone heard of that process? Also, what is best way to put in 15 pounds of grease, which is what JD calls for. Forgot to mention, it is a JD 160LC.