Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pins and bushes

Pane ยท 2013-02-18 19:21

G'day My sk120 mark v super has a lot of wear in its pins and bushes. The worst are the hitch pins and the boom rams. This may b a newb question but every one talks about changing pins and bushes. Now the pin part I understand but where are these bushes?? I've had all the rams off my machine to get them resealed and I couldn't make out any bushes. There is also side play in each pin which I would assume can b fixed with the correct amount of shims. Cheers

Replies3
  1. #1JBGASH2013-02-18 21:52

    The bushings are what the pins slide into. Normally there will be a bushing on each side of a large pin along with seals to help keep dirt from coming in. If you let the bushing wear out and then start wearing into the bin bosses the repair gets a lot more complicated and costly. Not too bad of job to replace the bushings and pins if need be. Just dont let it go to long and cause yourself a lot more work.

  2. #2Pane2013-02-18 22:39

    G'day So should I have seen these bushes when I pulled the rams out? I did notice the rubber seals on the rams where the pins goes through but I didn't notice that they could come out. At the end of the dipper arm where the pin connects the hitch to the dipper it looks as though there is a couple of large o rings (say 10mm in diameter), have they come adrift from somewhere or are they normally floating between shims? Cheers

  3. #3JBGASH2013-02-19 06:59

    You will need bushing drivers to remove the bushings properly and to insert the new ones back. They are a very tight fit to insure they do not move when the pins are inserted. The O-rings are the seals and they will need to be put back in once the new bushings are installed.