Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

small knuckle boom add on, electric over hydraulic?

earthscratcher · 2019-01-04 12:45

i have a 6000h autocrane truck with pto, ok but when i work inside with it no fun, going to sell. so i want to add a small knuckle boom crane on my truck, like a fassi 50 size. is there a electric over hydraulic power pack that will run it, 12v or maybe a rechargeable 24v system, truck will be 12v.boom will not be used every day,maybe once a month. just would like to, not run truck, to run crane. give me some options or ideas. thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Mobiltech2019-01-04 17:27

    I modified my knuckle boom to use pto or electric. I have a diverter valve to switch from pto to electric with a relief valve in case I forget to switch the diverter back to pto. I have a 12 volt single acting porta power pump that does 1gpm and 3000 psi. It surprisingly works about half speed of the pto. You need at least 2 batteries to run it for any length of time or a charger set up. I got the pump for 250 and diverter valve and fittings for another 250. Total build about 600. My electric pump only cycles when I trigger a function. My crane has wireless remote and all controls are electric over hydraulic so it was easy to wire in with a relay. Best mod money can buy.

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-01-04 18:02

    I was gonna suggest a lift gate motor/pump assembly. Mobiltech seems to have it licked.

  3. #3earthscratcher2019-01-04 18:05

    Mobiltech what kind of crane are running, I am looking at 2008 fassi 50a three extending section it does not have remote would this be hard to add?

  4. #4Mobiltech2019-01-05 07:40

    I have an amco veba 907. It has 3 power extends. Reaches 35 feet. It’s a 7 metric tonne/ meter crane. You can buy a remote wireless kit for a manual crane but I think it’s pricey.

  5. #5earthscratcher2019-01-06 01:44

    nice setup mobiltech,i am trying to put together the same crew cab, box, bed, setup has yours.lots of setups like this in canada, pretty rare south of the border.what model bed is yours? do you have a welder on board?do you have boxes under the bed? have a miller 302 air pac but thinking about dropping down to a welder generator compressor combo for space on this setup. whats your thoughts.?

  6. #6Mobiltech2019-01-06 10:01

    https://www.comtruck.ca/work-ready/oilfield-service-truck-with-amco-veba-906n-crane-on-ram-5500/ This is a link to the truck I have. Mine has the larger 907 crane. I have a miller airpak 200 that works good. I find the air compressor has all I need to run 1 inch impact. The booster at 300 amps isn’t great but does work if machine isn’t completely dead. Welder and Gen are more than enough for my use. There are some boxes under the bed but I put all my tools in the trailer. This is better for cold weather. The trailer is heated and insulated. The truck boxes just carry lifting equipment and parts. I like the bed setup for hauling large components , engines trans and power units. A common field trip for me is to go out and pull the components out on site and haul them back to my shop for rebuild. The wireless crane lets me do a lot of the work without any helpers.

  7. #7CM19952019-01-06 12:53

    That's a nice setup Mobilitech, I'd like to have a truck set up like that.