Any estimates as to how much a loaded toolbox weighs? 60" wide by 24" deep. Roller cabinet and top chest. I figure it can't weigh much more than 1,200lbs?
I remember reading a company incident about 10 years ago. One of the mechanics was pushing his roller across the shop floor, the wheel caught the slight dip in the floor for the drain and over it went. If I remember rightly, the boxes with tools were close to 2000 pounds. Flying into remote logging camps to do big jobs it was nothing for me to have 5 to 600 pounds of tools. ( too many times I got caught with them saying to not bring anything, they would supply it all and found out they had NOTHING to work with so brought lots). *note* when arranging the flights, always tell them you are a mechanic with tooling. We had to charter a Goose one time to fly out 2 fallers and 1 mechanic that were packing out LOL A big roller with a top chest is heavy by itself, throw in a lifetime collection of tools, it will add up to more than you think. I think I had one aluminium pipe wrench, everything else was steel.
Wow! I never would have guessed a toolbox could literally weigh a ton! The box is about half full but it'll be full once I tool out of the truck.
Had a loaded Snap On heavy duty road box that weighed 800# by itself.
You should be able to look up weight of the box, itself, by finding a manufavturer's model number, then go to a sales brochure. If not findable, thataway, find a similar sized box ad, and see what that weighs. As fer the tools innit, borrow a shipping scale, and weigh away...
I have a hydraulic crane scale.
I used to carry two Craftsman hand boxes when going to Alaska. Together they totaled just over a hundred pounds. They were 3/8 and 1/2 inch socket sets, wrenches to 1 1/8 inch and some screw drivers, pliers and some odd ball stuff. It doesn't take much to get heavy real quick.
Much heavier than you think ............
My snapon 72x30 is 1000lbs unloaded. Id guess maybe 3500lbs full? It all adds up to way more then you think.
I was hoping to load the whole deal into the back of my F150 but I'm thinking I'm going to unload a few hundred pounds of tools first.
If you set the box on 2x6's the wheels won't dent your bed and if you put your tools in 5 gal. buckets only fill them half full .The bails will pull out I've heard! Good luck Bob
I've moved the roller cabinet before by using that method. I haven't attempted to move the top box at the same time though. I'm good for around 1,700lbs in the bed of the truck so I'm hoping I can get it light enough to move the box in one go.
I hauled my Mac Tech 1000 all over hell's creation in my old 89 F-150. Never an issue. It's packed to the gills. Loaded in the truck once with a two post lift. Worked OK. Rolled it down the ramp of a Bekins moving truck with some rope and 4 strong guys. Moved it once in the bucket of a Bobcat. Nothing to it.