Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Small/Med dozer search: Cat, Case, JD, or Komatsu?

CavinJim ยท 2016-12-11 22:41

I'm in the market for a small to medium sized dozer with a six-way. After much consideration and watching what seems to be more readily available in my price range (10K-15K), I've generally narrowed the list down to the following makes/models: Case 850/1150, Cat D4(d), JD 450/550, and Komatsu D31. The Komatsu is a little harder to find, but they do come up now and then. The Case 850s seem to be readily available in several variations as are the Cats. I haven't seen a JD 550 in awhile, but I had a 555 loader and it was a good machine. I would really appreciate hearing your experiences with any of these or similarly sized machines. If I've left something out that you think should be on my watch list, please let me know! I'm far more familiar with the track loader end of the spectrum--I've run enough of them that I know what a 50 horse loader can do compared to a 90 horse, but not so much in the dozer world. The primary task is to build 5 to 6 miles of trail (not a road with ditches, just a tractor path) and do some other regrading work. When I get to major clearing and pond-building I'll trade up to a larger (Cat 955 size) loader. If I find the just-right loader with a 4-in-1 now, I'd go for that, but a dozer is what's in my sights. Dealer-wise I have a John Deere ag dealer nearby (15 miles) and he can get most of the parts I need, if not, there's a yellow JD dealer about 40 miles away, Cat and Komatsu are about 70 and 100 miles, respectively. Case--I don't know, who supplies Case parts? (I'm crawling over to this forum from a thread I started in track loaders as I think this topic is more specific to this forum, hopefully that's not a faux pas!)

Replies7
  1. #1CavinJim2016-12-14 23:21

    Wow, no opinions? A Cat D3B LGP with pyramid tracks just came up for sale locally. It has 4500 hours on it and it looks in good shape in the photo (though it is hard to tell). Owner says the undercarriage is probably 50%, but he seemed hesitant, so it might be worse. They used it primarily to clear fence rows, level yards, and windrow sand in the river bottom. I know sand can be a real bugger on a crawler, so I'll be interested to see what shape the rails and sprocket are in. I'm afraid it might be too light for some of my trail-building. I'm not going after big trees with it, just maybe up to 4" cedars. Anyone with experience on this baby-beast? He's asking $10,500, which looks good compared to some of the other D3B prices I've been seeing (which are generally in the $14-$16 range), so it might be something that would sell somewhat easily in a year or two when I'm finished with it. Thoughts?

  2. #2Welder Dave2016-12-15 00:53

    A D3B is about the same weight as a JD 450. $10,500 doesn't sound like a bad price but it depends on several things. Can you post some pics?

  3. #3CavinJim2016-12-15 01:06

    Thanks for the reply Welder Dave, It's not much of a picture, this link should get there. The seller posted the ad but is leaving town for four days.... seems to happen a lot around here. I'm sure I can work around the size, usually just takes longer and more patience. http://shopping.rollanet.org/get_image.php?id=2028531

  4. #4Twisted2016-12-15 08:07

    Why not just jump right into the track loader? Skip the small dozer and the chance of buying a huge repair bill. That said, I'd buy the biggest dozer that will do the job. I was looking at small 6-way machines like you until I ran one for a few days. They didn't have enough grunt to satisfy me. I went up to a 25,000# machine and the difference was amazing. I can haul 30 ton so weight wasn't an issue. IMO the tiny dozers are for landscaping. Yes they will get a bigger project done but why take longer than needed? As far as dealers, that isn't a determining factor to me. With the internet I can have basically any part for any machine at my door in two days. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs. You're call. Good luck on your search.

  5. #5Twisted2016-12-15 08:25

    I just saw your other thread. You NEED a larger machine. You will spend all day and not move an 18" oak with a D3 or D31.

  6. #6CavinJim2016-12-15 10:11

    I started looking at smaller six ways because I think it would be easier to bid the trails/roads I need with a smaller more maneuverable machine. I also have enough finish work to do to justify a smaller machine. But I do agree with you. There's a JD 755 and an 850 available--either would work nicely, but concerns about three hydrostats have kept me away from them. I wouldn't even point a D3 in the direction of one of the large oaks! I'd definitely keep to the small stuff. And until we get some rain, it won't matter. Won't even need to drain the pond as it's hardly more than a mud puddle. Or ice puddle as the case may be....

  7. #7Dickjr.2016-12-15 18:51

    For the money a D39E-1 Komatsu would work which is basically a TD9 Dressta. They are a simple design that has been the same for years. The newer ones have 3.9 Cummins engine at 90 hp. I had the D39E-1 and it was my starter dozer. I did enough to pay for it in 3 years and still keep my lights on. That left a good impression on me.