I'm thinking of adding a small mobile crusher to my operation for next year I don't have alot of money to invest.was thinking I could crush my own stone for road base 2" stone and maybe down to 3/4". I got plenty of rock at my shop. Also all stones rejected from screen. Curious on what this would take and feisabilty of it.
AusDave Built one from a jaw crusher from India and few other bits.
Don't wanna bust your bubble there, but when it comes to crushing, you fall under MSHA rules..... you'd have to put out at least 50,000 tons a year just to make it feasible.... sorry, but it's law. Regulations, regulations, regulations. And oh by the way,,, they don't warn you, they fine you the very first time.
Are you saying you need the Gov to give you permission to bost some rocks?
yup and if you don't you better have very deep pockets
Grandpa, I can't disagree with you. I am involved with getting a crushing operation running next spring and I am not looking forward to dealing with MSHA, but on the plus side I have a large company behind me and experts I can consult. I also got to wondering if portable crushers, used at something like a building demo site, fall under anything except OSHA? It technically isn't a mine so I would think that MSHA has no jurisdiction. If that is true, I would think that breaking loose rock left over from a screening operation kind of gets into a gray area. I suppose it would really come down to their definition of a "mine." In any case Mavrick you better look into this before investing any money. ISZ
Their official ruling is you don't fall under their rules if you only scalp material, but as soon as you do anything with the scalped material then they have you.....experience..he he.
If you aren't looking for a lot of production, try checking Labounty. They sell a hydraulic pulverizer. Also you may want to check out becoming a material recycler for job site material. It could give you a pass on some of the regulations.
As I nderstand crushing in demolition is classified and falls under OSHA, no MSHA. So you got to deal with the SHA twin brothers one way or the other. Around here if you want to process material for use off of the actual site where it is located an extraction permit is required, a reclamination plan along with a bond is required and you have to fight for who knows how long with the local municipality and county on the zoning and a conditional use permit. After all of that you can be told how the local access road must be upgraded at your expense to service the pit or quarry. Not a pretty site. That is all before MSHA even has a gate to drive through.
I think this is a great answer. You would be surprised how small the pulverizers can get product.
A little off topic, but still close; What does anyone know about the tractor mounted PTO "grinders" such as the FAE? http://www.faeusa.com/us/construction-products Do these qualify for MSHA oversight, or not? I have considered renting/purchasing one for road work on a large private ranch, where the terrain is very rocky, and would be prohibitively expensive to haul material. The USFWS has one they use on a refuge hear here and the results are very acceptable. This is a .gov agency, so MSHA compliance is not required.
Old thread but a good question - If you are crushing concrete on a demo site for re-use on that site, I think it falls under OSHA too, as you are not mining nor working in a mine rather a construction site.
You are correct. Any work taking place on a active construction site comes under OSHA jurisdiction, right down to how the delivery truck drivers are dressed. 4" sleeves on a t-shirt is the minimum length allowed here along with all the other required stuff. Nothing but a farmer tan allowed.