Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

small P&H shovel , need info.

loggah ยท 2012-05-09 16:55

Well The scrapyard where i shear up iron with my labounty shear on my old 235, got in a old P&H shovel the other day, pretty much complete, nice running 6 cylinder continental engine,good undercarrige. I have a small collection of old crawler tractors,trucks, and a unit 12-20 crane, i just didn't have the heart to chop it up,so i bought it!! I believe its from the 40"s but have no idea what model,I would like to buy a parts ,or operators manual for it,hopefully some here will know what model it is,i will post a link to the pictures,i am not smart enough to post pictures. Don http://www.pbase.com/loggah/ph_shovel

Replies24
  1. #1FirstEliminator2012-05-12 02:24

    Wow, cool. What are your plans with it? Throw some paint on it and it'll look pretty darned good. Makes my P&H look almost new. I have a 1973 P&H H312. Mark

  2. #2loggah2012-05-12 18:38

    Mark, It runs but it needs some TLC the controls are all brake master cylinder and slave cylinders, all need bleeding, it needs a crowd chain, exhaust system, etc. (PAINT) !!!!!The problem is i cannot find a model number anywhere on it,and i really have no idea what year it is. I'm hoping someone here will know so i have a place to start looking for a manual !!!!! Don

  3. #3brian falcone2012-05-12 22:15

    funny...i looked at a p&h shovel just like that in milford mass a few years back. i want to say it was a 155. same condition and everything. wonder if it made its way up north ? glad to see you are saving it. you need to register over at www.hcea.net they have a forum there and someone will have any info you need. once im done with my international t340 i was going to sell it and buy a small bay city shovel over in ct. allways wanted one to tinker with. good luch with it. brian

  4. #4loggah2012-05-13 06:48

    Brian, This one came in from Caanan N.H., belonged to some old guy that had a stroke, but on the side of it in old peeling paint is FAIRBANKS MILL ,DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION, Danville,VT, i'm checking them out now. I know a few guys in the Northeast Rockbusters ,group of the HCEA,i will try and ask them. thanks. Don

  5. #5Autocar612012-05-16 21:52

    Just stumbled onto this site,nice to see that you saved this little shovel I believe you have a model 150 1/2 yard shovel probably not a lot of them left. Hope to see it running someday. I have the old equipment bug and have some stuff in the yard too.

  6. #6loggah2012-05-17 06:11

    I think its a 155 model from what info ive found, still no idea as to the year,late 40,s early 50's probably. Hopefully i will find a manual somewhere. Don

  7. #7WerkBrau2012-05-17 16:58

    Are you serious, that old beast still runs?! If so that is really impressive, what a testiment to old school engineering and manufacturing!

  8. #8loggah2012-05-17 20:04

    It runs fine they ran it on and off the lowbed, but the controls all need bleeding ,and it needs a crowd chain. When you have 8 master brake cylinders ,and 8 slave cylinders it would be nice to have a manual to see which does what! Don

  9. #9Autocar612012-05-17 22:30

    The 155's I have moved and worked on had the telephone booth cab and power box machinery deck. I have worked on and had some to do with several 150's both truck and crawler mounted and look to be what you have it's just a little 255.at 1/2 yard cap.It will be a nice fun little shovel I hope to see it at one of our sand box shows someday.

  10. #10General3102012-05-17 22:49

    Autocar61 is correct. That is a 150. I have one that my grandfather purchased new in 1946. Our's is serial #10862, so I would assume yours is pre WWII. Double check the engine as it is most likely a Waukesha. The earlier one's had 6BK's and the later one's had 6BZ's. Master and wheel cylinders were from Ford trucks as was the 3 speed transmission. Undercarriage was an Allis-Chalmers. The 4 main operating levers, starting on the left: Swing/travel, crowd/retrack, hoist, boom raise/lower. Foot pedals: Left - crowd drum brake, right - hoist drum brake. Hope that helps. Glad you saved it.... very few left.

  11. #11loggah2012-05-18 07:54

    Well that helps a lot, i will recheck the engine,i just assumed with the distributor coming thru the head it was a continental!! now to find a operators manual. I thought the tracks looked like AC i have a "K' ac,and had a HD 7 an noticed they looked similar. Maybe i'll get to tinker on it a bit next week,i got to fix a fuel injection pump on my 653 AC first,thanks again. Don

  12. #12loggah2012-05-18 19:34

    Well i went back and climbed in the shovel,stood on my head,i removed the air tube from the air filter to the carburator and there was the engine tag,i couldn't read it well but its a Waukesha engine, the date on top of the head was 3 1 46 ,so i assume 1946. There really isnt much room in the house to move around,me being 6'4" and 285 lbs !!!! Don

  13. #13Autocar612012-05-18 22:56

    No not a lot of room but more than some. If you are going to get into it deep remove some sheet metal and set up some staging sometimes saves time and makes cleaning and freeing things up a bit nicer out in the open.

  14. #14brian falcone2012-05-19 22:17

    looked over your pics again...im going to take a ride to see if that other shovel is still there. Autocar61, were you at the hcea national show in richmond ?

  15. #15Autocar612012-05-20 08:51

    yes I was there I am a rockbuster and am on the show comity. My 225 fed the crusher and my 950 was there screening. I hope you had a good time. We have a show in N.H. in august this summer.

  16. #16brian falcone2012-05-20 12:14

    i had a great time. put 8 hours on my t340 that sunday. i wanted to attend the show in n.h. but i have no ride for the loader . the days of borrowing trucks and trailers from work are over as others abused the privilige.

  17. #17General3102012-05-20 12:46

    loggah - I have operators and parts books for this machine. Really swamped with work right now, but first chance I get I'll copy them for you. Email your contact info so I can get them to you. ( [email protected] ) Seems odd that the date you found was so late with ours being numbered so much higher. Story is that my family placed the order for their P&H sometime in 1945 even before the war ended. Equipment manufacturers were taking orders once it appeared the war was nearing an end. I will have to ask my father, but I thought he said that it was delivered in early 1946. I do remember him saying it was painted olive drab, so it must have been produced for the military, but they never took delivery of it. Maybe they were stamping them as they left to be delivered for warranty purposes. If you can get ahold of Mark Dietz @ P&H mining he can tell you the shipping history of your machine. I'm sure someone over at the HCEA website could put you in touch with him.

  18. #18loggah2012-05-20 13:31

    Brian, Where is the show in N.H. in August? I will ask **** Hallberg,or Bruce Crawford,maybe i will show up !!!! General 310 thats great i really could use them, i will e-mail my info.thanks again. Don

  19. #19brian falcone2012-05-20 15:50

    from the rockbusters calender Wilton NH on Saturday and Sunday, August 11th and 12th 2012. The location is at the gravel pit on Route 31 south just south of Route 101 in Wilton NH. Follow Route 101 east or west to Route 31 south and go about 0.3 miles south of Route 101 intersection and the gravel pit is on the right after Blanchards Auto Salvage.

  20. #20loggah2012-05-20 17:57

    Brian,Thanks i probably try to make it, i cant believe they wouldn't print D--K Hallbergs name !!!!! i guess D__K is offensive to some, i guess my brothers name is probably a big no,no, D--k Johnson !!! .Don

  21. #21P&H_Historian2012-07-16 09:36

    It's a P&H Model 150 shovel What you have there is one of the great construction-class shovels designed and built between 1935 and 1951 by West Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based Harnischfeger Corporation. That machine was available in various platform options - power shovel, backhoe, dragline, clamshell, crane and pile driver. We do not have an operator's manual but we do have some operator specs. We are trying to purchase a brochure containing nice, detailed mechanical systems photographs. The engine was built by Waukesha Engine based in Waukesha, Wisconsin just to the west of Milwaukee. That firm remains in business (dba Dresser Waukesha industrial engines). Harnischfeger Corporation was founded in 1884 by Alonzo Pawling and Henry Harnischfeger. Their "P&H" brand mining equipment is now applied to surface mines (copper, coal, iron ore, oil sand, gold, molybdenum, phosphates) worldwide. If you might want copies of the P&H 150 specs, please send e-mail to [email protected] . 'Hope you can hang onto that P&H 150. It's part of a century of great digging machines that commenced in 1912 when Pawling & Harnischfeger began introducing earthmoving machines for construction and mining.

  22. #22P&H_Historian2012-07-16 10:02

    AFFIRMATIVE, General310: P&H Model 150s were supplied to the US Army Corps of Engineers, Navy CBs and ended up in faraway places like Persia (modern-day Iran) assembling trucks and materiel bound for Russia's western front against the Wehrmacht during WWII as part of the Lend-Lease Program.

  23. #23caterpillarRy2012-09-26 20:28

    my grandfather might know what it is he had a few p&h shovels over the years his first one was a 160 i think he said? he said it had a ford v8 and he liked it

  24. #24caterpillarRy2012-09-26 20:30

    then again he might have said it was a 150 ill show him this next time i see him