Im wondering if it would make sense to crush about 200 loads of concrete i have on hand. I'm trying to fill in a pond to make it smaller and 200 loads of demo got me 1/3 to 1/2 there. Free fill in my area has dried up for the time being. Perhaps I could sell or trade crushed hard fill for fill dirt If I could find an appropriate unit to rent or hire it out. A local got a $5 per ton estimate at a job he's bidding for a company to come in and crush for him. That sounds cheap at first consideration which got me thinking about crushing my stuff but I'm not sure I am considering all factors in what would be involved in the process. Might crushed aggregate be worth 2 or 3 times what ordinary fill would cost? probably too many variables....
Concrete with screen in it, 1inch rebar in it or nothing in it and how big of pieces to crush. All things to take into consideration. Seen one place where they had a big hammer to make it small enough to go into crusher. Simon C
Depends on how big the loads are. 200 loads at 15 ton is 3000 ton at 5 per ton is 15000. Lot of money sitting there if you don't sell it right away. That's if they can crush it all. Some stuff might be too big, so it's left, or you spend more to have it hammered smaller. If it has steel in it, no one would touch it. Crushers don't like metal.
It boils down to haul units and availability. Go price crushed concrete local to you. I get it for ~10 a ton so it is not like crushed rock, at 20+ a ton. My pit in Tacoma has a huge pile of mixed stuff with not enough fines, and he offered to GIVE me 200 tons one day. I really had no place for it, but it would make for a wall backfill mix. Up at the Sequim pit I get reject rock with 2" and too many fines for 8. Location location location!
200 loads is not that much. I am always looking for a place to dump concrete, asphalt, brick/block and dirt. All those items are non-regulated here in AL and can be used as inert fill. Do you have a way of pushing the loads off?
They are regulated here, no concrete in or near wetlands.
There is some rebar and mesh and 4 foot chunks. Brick and block probably bring the value down on the final product. I guess If i rented and loaded myself, i could segregate the different materials a bit. I have a bit of bluestone I could run through it, that is what is available as gravel around here.
Of course wetlands are regulated. I was talking about the materials themselves. Last time I checked on renting a medium sized tracked jaw crusher it was $20K a month plus delivery and pick up. I rented a smaller jaw once for $10K a month that worked ok however you had to go slow and size the material because it would jam up easily.
end up putting in some time with a breaker on the pile. it quickly does not pencil out. that is why the places that take it do not want those big, easy to load chunks. There is a centrally located paving plant that takes both concrete and asphalt for free as long as it is clean. That is a fantastic resource and I always keep it clean and sized right when I drop off there.
Trucking here has gotten so expensive we can process concrete and asphalt down before the hired trucks show up. Like you it works for us. We have our own dump so there is no fee however it does pay to process the materials down if one is paying a per load dump fee. We have a QSR scrape and rebuild coming up that will have a substantial amount of asphalt and concrete. I am thinking of stockpiling each at the dump and when we have enough rent a crusher for a month. With a 25 ton load of rock running $500+ just for the material (no trucking) if I could make 60-80 loads of recycle it could pencil out. Haven't put the numbers in a spreadsheet yet.
I'm looking to increase the size of my pond! You are welcome to come scoop up what you'd like and take it with you, though I have a feeling my tiny pond won't give much fill.
Originally , it sounded like the OP was trying to fill in a pond, with crushed concrete to me, my mistake. I have a pond that is near the end of my driveway, so unfortunately it can be seen from the road. My father and the local road agent dug it out 50 years ago. The locals know I don’t want it and it has been suggested, that I not try and fill it in.
Is it a demarcated wetland/blue line?
No, not at all. When I built my new home out back 4 years ago, I had to pull 3 different variances, one was for this stock pond, that honestly is more of a mud pit 2/3’s of the year. Mistakenly, I should have filled it before anything was started but unfortunately, I didn’t. So, I had to have the state change the wetland status on my homesite but one of the building inspectors commented on the pond. So, as I was putting in the driveway, I was warned to not mess with the mud pit. I have attempted to dig it out a little but it’s right on bedrock and my hoe, don’t hoe enough. As time goes by, it might fill in, by itself. I have about 300 yards of overrun, mostly sand but some stone in it, uphill.
Thats great, may I also have some water and aquatic critters as well?
Should be able to get some gators from Florida and build a security moat around your place.
Sure! I could certainly use more water but unfortunately it'll likely leak back out. We like the critters too! We have thousands and thousands of peeper frogs and the bullfrogs will show up in a bit. This guy was also hanging around a couple days ago!
Surprised this hasn’t been done before.