I'm getting more clearing jobs that involve removing smaller trees that aren't merchantable and I'm looking for options. We're talking trees that are typically 25-40 tall and less than 8" dbh. The closest disposal site is over 60 minutes round trip (expensive for customer) and firewood is a pita and time consuming. Burning is rarely an option because of weather and burn bans, soooo..... I've been thinking about chipping the wood to reduce the volume and trucking off site. If I sell it as hog fuel, I can probably get enough for my fuel to truck it there. I'm usually working on smaller lots typically an acre or two and many times in residential areas, so noise and safety are a concern. Does anyone have any ideas on chippers that can handle this sized wood that can be loaded with a small excavator and isn't the size of a small building? If you have some other ideas on dealing with the wood, I'd take those to. Thanks.
I have a healthy respect for these machines: http://www.vermeermfg.com/vcom/EnvironmentalEquipment/Line.jsp?PrdlnID=3608 Not cheap though. Our contract arborist drops it around to us when we are clearing and rather than take two loads of green away we normally have one load of chips which often the owner wants us to leave for garden beds. Solves everybodies problems. The one we use is about 160 hp and will handle a 14" tree, its awesome but I guess you could get something smaller. What about talking to your local chippers about subbing them. We pull everything out with the Excavator. Pick up the tree with the 4 in 1 on the skid and cart it to a point the chipper can operate at. Then we chainsaw the stumps off if we haven't already so there is no dirt. Then the arborist comes by and he shreds the lot in no time. Minimal cost and if the chips have to go away those guys normally can give you the cheapest deal.
I haven't seen a chipper that will handle whole trees that ain't very large or that you should be with in 75' of wile using.
you need one of these http://www.gyrousa.com/content/index.aspx :thumbsup
http://www.gyrousa.com/content/index.aspx
I looked into having someone chip it for me, but the local guys don't have big enough equipment. Dependability is another problem if I sub the work, so I"m kind of caught between a rock and a hard spot. I'm also kicking the idea around of buying some property (in a rural or industrial area) where I can stockpile dirt, rock and debris from project sites. When the brush and log piles get big enough, I can bring in a tub grinder and turn it into a chip pile. Vermeer does have a machine that might work, so I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. The one in the link below looks like it'd be perfect for what I'm doing. If I'm lucky, they might have rental machines like this somewhere close by. http://www.vermeermfg.com/vcom/EnvironmentalEquipment/Model.jsp?PrdlnID=3608&ModID=57335
Most of the time the best time to shred the trees is soon as they are cut down so less chance of getting dirt embedded into the bark. As for Hog fuel there is no real market for it. If the trees are straight you can find someone that will buy them or take them for pencil posts. You know what I mean they are used for fencing and look like a pencil. They are usually pressure treated. What they do is chop the tree to length put it in a huge lathe it peals the bark off and puts the point on the end. They use the long thin straight trees for that. All you need for your excavator is a dangle head processor that should run you around 50 grand it will chop down the tree, debranch it and chop it to length.
There are whole tree chippers that take up to 18" that you can tow behind your pick up. Vermeer or Mobark are good brands to check out. When we clear lots where we have to chip, we'll use the dozer to mix the chips in with the dirt. Cheaper than hauling it out.
Dk, the idea of buying a piece of property to use for excess materials is an idea I would consider myself. I forgot, where in WA do you live? I know up in Skagit Co. burning is relatively common and doesn't cost more than 50 bucks I think, but down in Snohomish it's in the hundreds. I'm in King Co. Blake WA
I'm southwest of you in Grays Harbor county. You can still burn in the county, but it's $100 (non-refundable) for the burn permit and it's good for 30 days. If it's in a city, you can pretty much forget burning unless the pile is under 4' in diameter. I really can't complain about the burn bans, because homes are springing up everywhere and smoke can be bothersome. I know how much I hate it during the summer when we've got the doors and windows open and have to close them because smoke from a burn pile somewhere is wafting into our home.
Yeah, I agree with ya.
WA state burning laws are a bit ridiculous. In Chelan, you need the permit as well and if it's summer time, forget it, you'll never get one. I'd say your best bet is to stockpile it on your property as you mentioned doing. We bought 2 acres of land last spring that we use to dump debris over a ravine and it has proved absolutely priceless in the last year for us. Originally we bought it as a site to eventually build another shop and run the business out of, but once we found the ravine, dumping rock, concrete, or whatever isn't a concern and it sure is cheap! With all that said, having your own piece of property to do whatever you please with materials is very, very handy.
I will share my procedure with you. I get the job and immediately tell the owner that upon awarding of the bid i will have a cutter in the lot within two days. I give my cutter (150.00 per acre) all the wood he wants off the lot to sell for fire wood (he sells for 5.00 per bundle at local gas stations). When i show up with the excavator and dumptruck, i come into lot, grub stumps, load out waste and then i will stack any whole trees (limbed) on his trailer that he left. this is highly productive, you dont waste valuable excavator time (140.00 per hour billed here), and he gets what he wants. there are a lot of hungry loggers out there that will clear and haul off any viable lumber from your projects.