Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

help me figure this one out OUCH

9420pullpan · 2006-02-23 17:54

help me figure this one out OUCH

Replies15
  1. #1Steve Frazier2006-02-23 18:04

    The trucker didn't know his clearance, lol! If you look closely at the bottom right corner of the picture, you can see the top of the trailer tire. Looks like the machine was being transported and was too high. That could have been real messy, I hope no one was hurt!

  2. #2Cat4202006-02-23 19:12

    Here's the rest of the pictures http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/foody580/album?.dir=/mail The best I can figure is that the extra long arm poked through the front of the bridge and then caught something in the middle causing it to stand straight up, wedging it where it came to rest. I thought they should have transported it with the boom facing to the rear. They probably had it raised a little to clear the tractor.

  3. #3Cat4202006-02-23 20:27

    At least there's pictures for that one. Here's another mystery accident. http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2006/02/22/news-pbaccident-02-22.html Don't ask me how this happened.

  4. #4rino14942006-02-23 21:00

    Man, there goes his insurance policy

  5. #5Steve Frazier2006-02-23 21:34

    I wonder what the total cost of that wreck was? The machine looks totaled, I'm sure there was damage to the trailer, and maybe the truck too and the bridge must have been megabucks!

  6. #6rolloffhill2006-02-23 21:54

    They should have been, there is really no other logical way to haul it. I actually have a Cat 325 65' Long front rented right now, I have rented Link Belt 4300 with 60' long fronts, and I have yet to see one hauled other than boom to the rear, overhanging the axles of the trailer....

  7. #7Dozerboy2006-02-23 21:58

    I was just posting about this on another forum. That truck driver had no business in that truck. Cat420 right that hoe should of been hauled with the boom towards the back.

  8. #8Cat4202006-02-23 22:05

    I hope this doesn't sound arrogant, but isn't it sad that at only 22 with no trucking experience I can figure these kind things out and "trained" drivers still smash things into bridges. It at least gives me hope for being able to compete for jobs with some of the other people out there.

  9. #9Dozerboy2006-02-23 22:09

    Common sense goes a long ways in this line of work.

  10. #10bobcatuser2006-02-23 22:51

    These pictures remind me of an accident that happened last summer. The driver of a front-loading garbage truck raised his forks as the truck was approaching a concrete pedestrian overpass. When the forks hit the overpass it broke off the support columns and landed on the truck, completely crushing the cab and driver. After the investigation it was reported that the driver was involved in a dispute with the company and had previously damaged equipment to get back at the company. I guess he didn’t realise how strong the forks were this time.

  11. #11rolloffhill2006-02-23 23:02

    This is an example of how they are SUPPOSED to be hauled, looking at the pictures there is no way he had it loaded right......

  12. #12digger242j2006-02-24 00:01

    Well, if there's any arrogance in there, the school of hard knocks will beat it out of you soon enough. Hopefully, it won't cost too much. Things catch up with the habitually careless a whole lot earlier, but all it takes for anyone is a moment of inattention, or fuzzy thinking...

  13. #13Cat4202006-02-24 00:13

    I've ruined my share of tools, gotten flat tires, and almost dropped trees on myself, so I know that I am far from infallible, but loading a machine on a trailer backwards and taking out a piece of a bridge is a hair more than a "moment of inattention". You almost have to be trying to break something. With the way they had it loaded, it must have looked like a spear pointed towards the front of the truck.

  14. #14digger242j2006-02-24 00:25

    That's certainly true. That's why I added "fuzzy thinking". You gotta wonder-- What was that guy thinking !!??

  15. #15tylermckee2006-02-24 00:58

    i would have to get out my binoculars to see what i was doing on a machine like that.